Author Topic: Graphics Glitch with Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse  (Read 9698 times)

Offline Great Hierophant

• View Profile
Graphics Glitch with Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
« on: July 16, 2017, 09:36 AM »
System is an AV Famicom, OS is v16, ROM is No Intro.  I have observed no issues playing Castlevania III until today.  I was playing the Sunken City level and had just beaten the Bone Dragon boss for the first time when I saw random tiles display where I should have seen water tiles, indicating that the level is flooding.  The glitchy tiles continue to appear until I finish the stage.  On the PowerPak I see proper water.  I took a pair of photos with my camera of the incorrect (EverDrive) and correct (PowerPak) screens :

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOhkohaFonKv-o7WtDM-rHczyZY9wFUBe-7oMa2xOvYSL8bmDVBufl6aiE4HhBERQ?key=MVpWNkdPUXR6Ymt3YkpHM21vSWVJSHRBUk1PN3h3

I am not sure if the MMC5 mapper has been touched since partial support was been added in OSv9.  If this is a deficiency in the EverDrive's implementation, I would suggest that the reason can be found here : http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4013&start=30

Akumajou Densetsu does not suffer from this issue, it uses a different mapper, VRC6.  I was able to beat that stage on the EverDrive without any glitches.
Check Out My Vintage Video Game & Computing Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

Offline EverDriver

• Administrator
  • support
    • View Profile
Re: Graphics Glitch with Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 02:57 AM »
Could you please show few photos of your EverDrive's PCB?

Offline Great Hierophant

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 04:05 AM »

Of course, mine is a legitimate Krikzz product, purchased from Retrogate in December, 2014 : https://photos.app.goo.gl/i2B8ukJPaT7pWOFH2
Check Out My Vintage Video Game & Computing Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

Offline keeper7

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 11:16 AM »
FIXED ON OS v20 beta1.

I can confirm that this glitch happens to me as well.

Never noticed this before because I never took the clock tower path.

Use this password to go directly to Sunken City stage. You'll have to fight a boss at the end to get to the glitch point.
Name: TREVOR
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 04:19 PM by keeper7 »

Offline blizzz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 03:18 PM »
I don't get that glitch. I'm playing the translated Japanese version.

Console: AV Famicom
EDN8: OS ver 13, Adate 20.11.2015

Offline keeper7

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 05:30 PM »
I don't get that glitch. I'm playing the translated Japanese version.

Console: AV Famicom
EDN8: OS ver 13, Adate 20.11.2015

Only Castlevania III like described in the first post.

Akumajou Densetsu does not suffer from this issue, it uses a different mapper, VRC6.  I was able to beat that stage on the EverDrive without any glitches.

Offline blizzz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 06:00 PM »
Sorry, you're right. I can also confirm the glitch in the US version.

Offline polyh3dron

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 02:38 PM »
I could understand why this glitch would've gone unreported for all this time, because why would anyone in their right mind play the US version of Castlevania III on an Everdrive N8 when you can play the vastly superior Akumajou Densetsu?

Offline Great Hierophant

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 06:07 PM »
I could understand why this glitch would've gone unreported for all this time, because why would anyone in their right mind play the US version of Castlevania III on an Everdrive N8 when you can play the vastly superior Akumajou Densetsu?

Nostalgia, curiosity and challenge. 

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 10:53 PM »
It's not necessarily better, just different.  There are some tweaks to the US version that make it more of a challenge.  Nerfing Grant (or buffing, depending on your point of view).  Different damage scaling.  Faster projectiles from enemies.  A tougher final battle.  It all depends on what you're looking for.

Really, though, is this an issue with the MMC5 implementation that's been there from the beginning, or is this a recent occurrence?  I wish that chip were supported a bit better beyond just getting Castlevania III functional.  (And yes, I know a lot of the Koei games have issues related to limited PRG/CHR space.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline Great Hierophant

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 07:03 AM »
Really, though, is this an issue with the MMC5 implementation that's been there from the beginning, or is this a recent occurrence?  I wish that chip were supported a bit better beyond just getting Castlevania III functional.  (And yes, I know a lot of the Koei games have issues related to limited PRG/CHR space.

I believe it has been there since the beginning, since other MMC5 games like Konami's Laser Invasion have always suffered from similar issues.  Koei games' issues have nothing to do with a lack of PRG/CHR space, they suffer from a failure to emulate extended attributes and ExRAM. 

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2017, 08:47 AM »
Whoops, I derped.  Not sure why I thought several of them were 1024K PRG.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2017, 02:50 PM »
i think when krikzz designed the n8 the aim was for al official released games to be supported. to my knowledge the only games which exceed the PRG/CHR space are unlicensed games and some hacks/translations of official games.
 i would have liked to had more PRG/CHR space available for some homebrew/unlicensed games support because one of the great things about flash carts is the ability to play homebrew and unlicensed releases.
 maybe we will see a new revision with more PRG/CHR space in the future and of course some of those unlicensed games use mappers which may or may not been implemented yet, i have not kept my eye on what mappers have been added in recent updates.

Offline subord99

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2017, 12:57 PM »

Of course, mine is a legitimate Krikzz product, purchased from Retrogate in December, 20

---------------------------------

Same  as mine , this is not related to OS_16 issue , previous OS has the same issue.

I even notice this issue since 2015
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 01:05 PM by subord99 »

Offline subord99

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2017, 01:01 PM »

Happen since OSV9 or earlier