Author Topic: Mega Everdrive V2 / X7 FPGA Core - FM Sound for Master System Games  (Read 53550 times)

DUDEDAMAN321

Re: Mega Everdrive V2 / X7 FPGA Core - FM Sound for Master System Games
« Reply #105 on: October 27, 2017, 03:34 AM »
Holy heck, going to have to try this out later on! Never got the chance to experience FM music with Master System games before, so this will be something new to me!

Offline FBX

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 03, 2017, 03:17 PM »
So I tried out the new firmware with the FM core, and while it sounds good, it also sounds at a much lower volume than PCM music. For example on my receiver, I have to turn the knob to 25 in order to get FM to sound about as loud as regular music at a setting of 20. Is there any chance this can be corrected and balanced out?

Offline Alexlotl

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 03, 2017, 03:31 PM »
I think Necromfive covered this earlier in the thread - the lower volume is due to hardware limitations.

Not 100% sure how the cartridge audio pins work, but perhaps it would be possible to amplify this within the Mega Everdrive cart itself, given the addition of a dedicated component to boost the signal.

I don't find it a problem for 100% FM games (just turn up the TV volume), but I'm guessing it would lead to imbalances in the few games that mix FM and PCM (or is it just the Mark III BIOS screen that does this?).

Offline PersianImm0rtal

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 04, 2017, 08:27 AM »
So if I buy the X5 or the X3 I don't get the FM Master System sound???

I just want to clarify. That sucks if it's only for the X7 because that is a great feature, but it's not worth it when I can buy an X5 or X3 for way cheaper.

Offline efen3001

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 14, 2017, 08:49 PM »
I´ve ordered an X7 only because the FM feature.

Offline Amerika

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 14, 2017, 09:01 PM »
I updated to this over the weekend and I have had zero problems so far!  I freaking love the FM Sound option since a lot of games benefit from it.  And it's crazy to sit there and play a game thinking of what an 8bit system typically sounds like and then, bam, you get that sweet FM Sound.
NES Everdrive N8, SD2SNES, Mega EverDrive x7, Turbo EverDrive, NeoSD, EverDrive-GBA x5, Ultra EverDrive64 v3

Offline ShadowArtist

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 15, 2018, 01:10 AM »
just got an Mega Everdrive X7,  tried playing Phantasy Star (Japanese version with an English re-translation patch) and the FM sound has a little odd sound effects/glitches playing in the title screen.   

Is this due to the early build of the FM sound chip emulation?  and anyone know if an update to improve the FM Sound chip emulation is in the works?

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 15, 2018, 03:02 AM »
just got an Mega Everdrive X7,  tried playing Phantasy Star (Japanese version with an English re-translation patch) and the FM sound has a little odd sound effects/glitches playing in the title screen.   

Is this due to the early build of the FM sound chip emulation?  and anyone know if an update to improve the FM Sound chip emulation is in the works?
Have you tried using the original japanese rom (no patches)?
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline ShadowArtist

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 17, 2018, 12:34 PM »
yes.   now what's weird, is that I loaded up the rom of the patched PS 1, and the FM sound is running flawlessly.  it's really odd.

it's like sometimes it will run fine, and sometimes it will run like wild monkey pressing random chip-tune tones...

Offline cook99

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 05, 2018, 10:05 AM »
Hey all, curious if anyone has tested the x7 with FM sound on a JVC x-eye console? I've heard x-eye sometimes doesn't play nice for SMS on x7?

Offline Arnold101

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 15, 2018, 12:17 AM »
I think Necromfive covered this earlier in the thread - the lower volume is due to hardware limitations.

Not 100% sure how the cartridge audio pins work, but perhaps it would be possible to amplify this within the Mega Everdrive cart itself, given the addition of a dedicated component to boost the signal.

I don't find it a problem for 100% FM games (just turn up the TV volume), but I'm guessing it would lead to imbalances in the few games that mix FM and PCM (or is it just the Mark III BIOS screen that does this?).
its the same problem that sd2snes have. and it is fixed with an op amp. can be done the same on the mega ed too please??
@Krikzz a mod is possible?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 12:22 AM by Arnold101 »

Offline Sylver

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 19, 2018, 08:56 PM »
Hi,
I just got my Mega Everdrive X7 to play on my Nomad ... I did the SMS mod on it so I have no problem playing SMS games but when using the YM2413 with some Japanese games that supports it, I simply have no sound ... Are there some additional wires to connect to have a luck to hear FM sound ? I’m a bit disappointed as I mainly ordered a X7 to enjoy this feature !
Edit : Ok there are some additional components and wires to solder :
http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=697.0
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 07:39 AM by Sylver »

Offline MaarioS

• View Profile
Hi,
I just got my Mega Everdrive X7 to play on my Nomad ... I did the SMS mod on it so I have no problem playing SMS games but when using the YM2413 with some Japanese games that supports it, I simply have no sound ... Are there some additional wires to connect to have a luck to hear FM sound ? I’m a bit disappointed as I mainly ordered a X7 to enjoy this feature !
Edit : Ok there are some additional components and wires to solder :
http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=697.0

This is the info you're looking for (taken from another form post):

"I'm not 100% sure what side of the resistors the capacitor is supposed to be on, but it works the way I put in place below.  Pin 1 on the Sega IC 315-5684 chip IS ground, and you connect that to the leg of the capacitor that needs grounding (or any other ground location on the board).  Only the non-grounded leg of the capacitor should make contact with your path between the IC and cart pins.

Pin 24 Sega IC 315-5684 <-----> 47k resistor <-----> .022uf capacitor not grounded leg <----->
Cartridge Connector Pin 1

Pin 10 Sega IC 315-5684 <-----> 47k resistor <-----> .022uf capacitor not grounded leg <-----> Cartridge Connector Pin 3

Any ground location (I used one of the power supply legs) <---> grounded/other leg of .022uf capacitor #1 and capacitor #2

To reiterate from the original instructions: yes you do need to lift the legs of pins 24 and 10 on SEGA IC 315-5684 before you connect the wires or this won't work.  I was able to do this by carefully applying heat with the iron while very gently pulling with an X-acto knife.  In their natural state they are attached to ground, so they have to be not touching ground for them to work properly for the mod."

Other than that, I also have modified my Nomad to play SMS games and FM sound. So far the results are great even on the Nomad!! Even though I have a few original carts, this is just an excellent alternative to play those games just using Everdrive on a portable system, rather than go around with a tower of awful adapters

I also wantd to report some FM sound bugs I discovered so far. I'm not sure whether this is existent only on the Nomad but here is what I noticed:

-in Penguin Land, when the egg crashes, the sound is very loud (not sure if this is what it is supposed to be though)

-in Wonder Boy in Monster Land during Stage Clear and counting down hearts for bonus points, the sound disappears (according to the emulator, it should be just as loud all the time)

Please take a look at those reports. Thanks in advance