Author Topic: Controller paks always corrupted...  (Read 4365 times)

Offline FrenchyToasty

• View Profile
Controller paks always corrupted...
« on: August 08, 2017, 05:17 AM »
I have 2 controller paks, a 1st party one and a second party one.

One never works (the x brand)
The other always corrupts didn't the everdrive act like its own controller pak?

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
Re: Controller paks always corrupted...
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 07:14 AM »
Check the battery in the first party controller pak.
As far as I know the ED64 doesn't replace the controller pak, just the save memory inside cartridges.
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline The Renegadist

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 08:34 AM »
My controller pack works just fine, I'm thinking it might be an issue with the battery pack as well and not the ED64.

Online Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 06:16 PM »
I have 2 controller paks, a 1st party one and a second party one.

One never works (the x brand)
The other always corrupts

I have both an official and two unofficial controller paks, and all of them work fine. Are the batteries in your two working properly? If nothing else, you should be able to pick up new controller paks cheaply enough from local shops or online.

[/quote]
didn't the everdrive act like its own controller pak?
[/quote]

No, the ED64 doesn't act like a controller pak, at least not when a game is saving or loading. Copied and pasted from an earlier post of mine:

Without an Everdrive 64 (i.e. just an N64) game saves are saved either to the original N64 cartridge itself, or on the controller pak (the gamesave memory pak that fits into the joyapd itself), depending on the game itself. Games like Goldeneye, Super Mario 64, and Ocarina of Time save to their own cartridges, whereas games like Duke Nukem: Zero Hour, The World is Not Enough, and Rocker: Robot on Wheels, need a controller pak to save to.
With the Everdrive 64, the games that should save to their cartridge instead save to the SD card (the same card that contains all of the game roms), and you can, if you like, insert the SD card into your PC or Mac, to backup or restore the save files. However the save game is not written to the SD card until you press reset on the N64, so if you turn off the N64 without first pressing reset then you'll lose the save game.

So when you play a game like Super Mario 64 (i.e. a game that saves to it's own cartridge), what you do is, turn on the N64 with the Everdrive 64 in, load the game from the menu, play the game as usual, the game will save as normal* at the usual save points (save as often as you like over the playing time, only the final save counts) and when you've finished the game, DON'T turn off the N64, instead RESET it. Even if you don't want to play on the N64 any more and you're going to turn it off, first make sure you press RESET, as only when the N64 resets does it save the game save to the SD card.

* In actual fact, when a game (that's running on an N64 with an Everdrive) thinks it's saving to it's cartridge, then it's actually saving to RAM (memory) on the ED64, and the data from the RAM is only really written to the SD card when RESET is pressed on the console itself.

As for games that save to the controller pak, even with the Everdrive 64, games that save to the controller pak still need a controller pak to save to, as those saves aren't re-routed to the ED64's SD card. Those games just save and load to the controller pak as usual (and you don't need to press reset when you've finished playing these games, but it's good to get into the habit of pressing RESET after every game, so that way you never forget to do so for the games that need it).

And as Ozidual says, even though games that only save to the controller pak still can only save to the controller pak, using the ED64 (Everdrive 64) you can backup and restore the controller pak to the SD card, so you can then store the gamesaves on your PC or Mac.

The above applies to the versions 2.0, and 2.5 of the Everdrive 64. I don't have a version 3.0 (I have a v2.0, which is fantastic, and the v2.5 is no different to the v2.0 except it has a slightly re-designed motherboard, there's no difference in use) and I'm not 100% sure when the v3.0 saves to the real SD card, so I can't advise there.

Offline FrenchyToasty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 06:58 AM »
thanks for the super in dept reply but I know how to opperate my everdrive...

whaty puzzles me is that if I play my legit games with controller paks, they work... weird.

Offline Junninx

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 09:56 AM »
 If the battery is dead, they will save, but when power off the data will be lost, showing corrupted pak when reboot.

Offline SunGodPortal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 06:33 AM »
I had this problem too. Got two new batteries for about $4.50 (at the dollar store). N64 controller paks take 3V CR 2032 batteries.

If you have a Performance controller pak swapping the battery will be easy. Just take out the screws and slip the battery out.

If you want to replace the battery in a first party controller pak it's a little more complicated. They have those stupid security screws s unless you have the proper bit you'll need to take the shaft from an ink pen, melt the tip (light the tip on fire and then immediately blow it out) and then cram it down on top of the screw. Let it cool for a few mins and you'll have a free tool that's perfectly fitted to those unusual screws. After the two screws are removed you can pop the pak open with a little force (they're tight even without the screws). The battery is more or less welded into the first party paks so you'll have to find a way to tear the battery off without destroying the tabs. Once it's out, bend the tabs so the new battery makes a tight fit and put a piece of electrical tape on the top for a little extra security (in case you drop or throw your controller).

After changing the battery in either type, at first any game should probably tell you that your pak is corrupted and ask if you want to restore it. Say "Yes" and then your controller pak is good as new.

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 03:26 AM »
If you have a Performance controller pak swapping the battery will be easy. Just take out the screws and slip the battery out.
Wait a minute... so the third party controller paks also use batteries? I thought only the original Nintendo had batteries.
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline SunGodPortal

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 09:38 AM »
Nope. The third party paks that I've used (both Performance, I believe) had batteries, but they were set up to where you could change out the battery for a new one. Philips head screw, battery in a sort of slip or sleeve that it can easily be slid out of. The Nintendo paks, as mentioned, have screws that require an unusual bit and the battery is sort of like "welded" on. I actually punctured the battery pulling it off. Smelled like rubbing alcohol. Those third party paks that I've got (don't know 'bout other brands) are way better.

EDIT: And the replacement analog sticks that you can get on eBay are a million times better than the original too. I recently switched some of those out as well getting ready for the ED64.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 09:40 AM by SunGodPortal »