Author Topic: No colour NTSC PAL ED64 V3  (Read 3190 times)

Offline Zilog

• View Profile
No colour NTSC PAL ED64 V3
« on: August 20, 2017, 06:46 PM »
Hello,

Sorry I am new to all this so this may be a really stupid question. Can you play PAL games on a NTSC system and NTSC games on a PAL system in colour? I have a few N64 systems both PAL and NTSC but when I tray play a PAL games on a NTSC system or NTSC game on a PAL system it appears to come out black and white. I am using a composite cable and have the newest revision EverDrive 64 V3 that has both NTSC and PAL lockout chips. What am I doing wrong or am I trying to do the impossible?

Many Thanks

Offline pcfreak324

• View Profile
Re: No colour NTSC PAL ED64 V3
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 07:00 PM »
You need an RGB or HDMI mod in order to see everything in colour.

Offline Thomu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 01:20 AM »
This is not true. one of my nintendo 64 (pal) consoles is hooked up with a composite cable and runs ntsc games in color.
Own:EDN8PRO|EDN8|SD2SNESPRO|SD2SNES|MegaEDV2|MasterEDX7|EDGGX7|EDGBX7|EDGBAX5(x2)|ED64X7|ED64V3|ED64V2.5|PSIO(x2)|GDEMU|USBGDROM|Phoebe(x2)|WaspFusion(x3)|NGPSD(x2)|LynxSD|JagSD|EDGB|Flashboy+|SSDS3|NeoSDPro|MegaSD|EZFlashOmega(x3)|EDMDclone|GDEMUclone
Ordered:
To buy:EDGBAX5Mini|MultiBoy32|LynxGD|

Offline Aroenai

• Sentient Hunk of Green Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 03:32 AM »
NTSC50 is not a recognized standard so most tv's can't display it. An RGB or UltraHDMI modded console is required for the majority of people to play PAL games on NTSC consoles.
---
Mostly working on Zelda OoT & MM GC patches
Also, breaking region protections
Everdrive 64 v2.01 modified with an UltraCIC II, 64drive HW2

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 07:22 AM »
Hello,

Sorry I am new to all this so this may be a really stupid question. Can you play PAL games on a NTSC system and NTSC games on a PAL system in colour? I have a few N64 systems both PAL and NTSC but when I tray play a PAL games on a NTSC system or NTSC game on a PAL system it appears to come out black and white. I am using a composite cable and have the newest revision EverDrive 64 V3 that has both NTSC and PAL lockout chips. What am I doing wrong or am I trying to do the impossible?

Many Thanks
It depends on the TV so it's hit and miss.
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline Zilog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 10:32 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. It was the TVs I tried that was the issue. I have now sorted my self a RGB mod and now have glorious colour once more  ;D added bonus is RGB gives you an amazing crisp image  8) I just wish I had done this two decades ago  :o