Author Topic: Neo-Geo CD  (Read 11363 times)

Offline Never

• View Profile
Neo-Geo CD
« on: June 01, 2013, 03:15 PM »
Hello,

So i bought this Neo-Geo CD, which was not cheap (150€) and the seller said it was working flawless.

After getting home and turning everything on, i was shocked with the noise the CD drive made, but well it's a old console.
Turns out that noise is probably the top piece of the CD drive that holds the CD probably is too worn out and isn't holding the CD like it should, resulting in error "Disk Error 0001" or even not recognizing the CD.

The solution i temporary arranged was putting my 3DS XL on top of the console, so the top piece can make proper contact and hold the CD properly and it is working.

Of course now the seller says that it is my fault, he won't refund me, etc etc you know the drill.
Does anyone know how to solve this permanently?

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
Re: Neo-Geo CD
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 07:33 PM »
how the hell can the seller say that it's your fault is what i don't get. you have not modified or tampered with anything just by placing a 3ds on the console lol.

Offline phoenixdownita

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 07:45 PM »
Similar thing happened to me.

In my case the shipping company pressed the CD door down so much that the plastic piece in which you snap the CD on got pushed down, the CD once inserted would touch the base and couldn't rotate.
It turns out you can lift it up again as the plastic piece is mounted on the rotor shaft (the center is metal if you look at it). It is easier to do if you open the console because you can exercise (pull) the piece.
If you pull it out too much you can slowly push it back in (with little taps from the top, and you can do with the unit closed) until you are satisfied with the result.
Alternatively, but I will NOT recommend it, you can try to slide a flat screwdriver to the side (from the little space the rotating piece has around it) and attempt to pull it up that way but BEWARE that you can break the surrounding plastics.

Bottom line, it is possible to pull up the CD rotor by quite some, so that so the piece from the top lead will exercise enough pressure. Keep in mind that by doing this you will change the height of the CD flight and as such the laser head has to compensate. If you go too far it will stop reading, but as you can tap it down little by little you may be able to find a sweet spot where it all works.

It took me a few attempts with mine but it is now working as expected (barring some clicking noise at the end of a CD detection phase as if the head hits a backstop or something, but I heard this is unfortunately "normal" with the NeoGeo CD units as they age, hopefully it will not die on me, I already recapped both the mainboard and the CD controller board, and added a language switch [really easy]).
As far as I am concerned apart from those clicks at the end of CD recognize phase it all works without a hitch so I didn't bother to complain to my seller at the time.

Offline RetroRepair

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 01:48 AM »
If it was ebay I'd go ahead and raise a case. You are the buyer and you have all the power, if the messages went through ebay then you have evidence how obstructive the seller is being.

In regards to a fix though, I had the same issue with a CD32 once. I ended up just removing the lid magnet that holds the disc in place and the original spindle and installing the spindle from a PS1 laser. Worked great:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZDs-pgO7QE

Offline Never

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 02:16 AM »
Really appreciate the answers guys.

Here's a video that might help to recognize what the problem might be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vz-TG9I2pQ

I don't think that the spindle is the problem, it spins alright.

In this case this was a hand-to-hand deal.

Offline PennyWong

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 07:16 PM »
I would definitely hit it up with ebay, I had a problem once too and because I had evidence of my communication with the seller on ebay I got my refund easily with paypal. They normally always favor the buyer whether that is good or not is whether your the buyer or seller. Make sure you do it asap though.

Offline zx81

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 05:12 PM »
I have encountered the same issue (unable to read any game, and the cd drive was making a lot of noise, like in the video).
The only way was to turn the console up side down.

Then, I found a very simple way to fix it, using post-it like paper :

Hope that helps.

Offline phoenixdownita

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 07:40 PM »
If you need to use "post it" bits to lift the CD to fly higher then you can just pull up the whole spindle the same amount.

When they ship the unit if they are not careful the top door can push the spindle down at which point the CD is not held in place very well and you get the rattling noise.

Pulling the spindle up is not that hard but without opening you may damage the surrounding plastic.
If you pull it up too much don;t worry as it is easy to push it back down.

Offline Majestic_Lizard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 06:52 PM »
The Neo Geo CD model 2 is a notoriously badly designed console. The CDZ is slightly better, but has an issue with overheating. Don't every buy one of these, stick with the AES.

I've owned MANY consoles without issues, but every Neo Geo CD I've owned failed after a few days of use, with multiple parts of the drive mechanism constantly failing.

Offline valthonis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 04:36 PM »
Really?  I've heard about the CDZ overheating issues, but from what I've been reading the model 2 CD version was more reliable than the front loader.
I've been debating picking up a local shop's front loader, but for $170 I wasn't sure.