Author Topic: Compatible SD cards and controller memory packs.  (Read 4384 times)

Offline Zilog

• View Profile
Compatible SD cards and controller memory packs.
« on: August 26, 2017, 10:41 PM »
I have done a few searches and have managed to get my self confused so have 3 questions :-[

1, Whats the largest SD card that the V3 ED 64 will work with?

2, What speed SD card should you use?

3, Can the V3 ED 64 backup controller pack memory cards?

Thanks in advance  :D

Offline SunGodPortal

• View Profile
Re: Compatible SD cards and controller memory packs.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 11:46 PM »
1 and 2) I have an 8GB SD card, I think the speed says something like 24mb per sec reading/17mb per sec writing, loading speed is reasonably fast and with that amount of space I can fit every US N64 ROM + all of the PAL and J exclusives (I didn't add the redundant releases as there was no practical reason for that).

3) I have an ED64 2.5 and it can backup the controller paks to the SD card so I'm sure the v3 can. I wish it could copy individual files (it copies the entire controller pak contents and saves it as one file) and I wish it had something similar to a "save as" function so I could label them and not have to switch controllers to make more than one backup, but it's still a very handy feature.

Offline Zilog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 10:24 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I had heard 8gb was enough so that is what i got with my EverDrive 64 but once I started sorting all my old roms I realized I have over 14gb with no duplicates and there are still quite a few roms I am trying to track down :o I was thinking of getting 32 or 64 gb SD so I will have enough room for the missing roms and plenty of space for hacks and homebrew.

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 06:40 PM »
1, Whats the largest SD card that the V3 ED 64 will work with?

2, What speed SD card should you use?
My opinions:

1- Use 32GB SDHC.
2- Any speed is fine, even the slowest SD cards are fast enough for loading (remember the SD speed is more critical for video recording applications where data is written to the card)
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline SunGodPortal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 07:44 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I had heard 8gb was enough so that is what i got with my EverDrive 64 but once I started sorting all my old roms I realized I have over 14gb with no duplicates and there are still quite a few roms I am trying to track down :o I was thinking of getting 32 or 64 gb SD so I will have enough room for the missing roms and plenty of space for hacks and homebrew.

There's really no reason to have 14GB worth of ROMs on your card though. If you're using an NTSC console you don't need the PAL ROMs as there are probably only about a handful of exclusives and those are dumb sports games.  If you also get rid of the older revisions and weed out the non-exclusive JP ROMs you'll still probably only have around 8GB worth of ROMs.

EDIT: And most hacks aren't going to work with the ED64 since they are usually programmed for emulators that probably work nothing like a real N64.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 08:01 PM by SunGodPortal »

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 03:56 PM »

There's really no reason to have 14GB worth of ROMs on your card though. If you're using an NTSC console you don't need the PAL ROMs as there are probably only about a handful of exclusives and those are dumb sports games.  If you also get rid of the older revisions and weed out the non-exclusive JP ROMs you'll still probably only have around 8GB worth of ROMs.

If you have empty space on your SD card, then why not use it? I have a 16GB card in my ED64,which is nearly full, as not only does it have almost every NTSC game and many PAL games, I've also duplicated the games in different folders by genre, i.e:

\BY GENRE\2D PLATFORM\
\BY GENRE\3D PLATFORM\
\BY GENRE\FIRST PERSON SHOOTER\
\BY GENRE\THIRD PERSON SHOOTER\
\BY GENRE\RACING\

etc

Plus I have copies of my favourite games in a folder called \FAVOURITES\

[/quote]
EDIT: And most hacks aren't going to work with the ED64 since they are usually programmed for emulators that probably work nothing like a real N64.
[/quote]

It's mainly Super Mario 64 mods, and mods for the two Zelda games that don't work on the ED64 (more specifically, these mods don't work on a real N64, because, as you say, the emulators that these mods were developed on aren't 100% accurate - if anyone is curious for more details, see http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=5489.msg46127#msg46127), many other mods work fine on the ED64 + N64. A very incomplete list is:

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=6134.0

and a much more detailed compatibility list is at:

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=6046

Offline SunGodPortal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 09:53 PM »
If you have empty space on your SD card, then why not use it? I have a 16GB card in my ED64,which is nearly full, as not only does it have almost every NTSC game and many PAL games, I've also duplicated the games in different folders by genre, i.e:

\BY GENRE\2D PLATFORM\
\BY GENRE\3D PLATFORM\
\BY GENRE\FIRST PERSON SHOOTER\
\BY GENRE\THIRD PERSON SHOOTER\
\BY GENRE\RACING\

etc

Plus I have copies of my favourite games in a folder called \FAVOURITES\

I suppose it's a matter of personal preference. For me, it doesn't makes sense to bother with duplicate ROMs just so you can make room for versions that run slower, that cant be played by a non-English speaker or have bugs that were later fixed. Like why would I want the version of Turok - Rage Wars that has the broken co-op that's impossible to finish? And there's no reason for me to have French and German versions of A Bug's Life or whatever when I'm probably not even going to play the English version. That's just more useless ROMs to clog up the menus when I browsing for something to play.

When I filled up my card I choose only the latest versions of the US releases and the games that were exclusives from the other regions. I then split them up into genres and in the following days removed some of the games that were trash like those bass fishing games or the dozens of football, baseball and basketball games when there's probably only one or two of each that's worth having. I also have a folder that's dedicated to hacks and translations. Right now I think I've widdled it down to about 150-200 games.

Offline Zilog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 10:54 AM »
Thanks for the advice. I will go grab a 32gb card today and then fire  a up the old N64 :D I like to have all the games in one location so if I ever wish to play one it's simple. You also may be surprised how games vary from region to region. It's nice to have the PAL games too as Rare and there great library of games was developed for PAL and ported to NTSC. So in essence PAL is the way there supposed to be played. If your playing on a modern TV the higher resolution PAL games also appear to upscale better. Though being a child of the 80s/90s I have fond memories of learning bit of Japanese so I could play imports and still enjoy playing Japanese games to this day :)

Offline Junninx

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2020, 10:02 AM »
  32gb should do, I realized that I have 700MB of Banjo Kazooie rom hacks, and I wish to it grow even more with many hacks working and being developed of many games.

Yesterday I managed to patch 1,6gb of rom hacks as Zelda, banjo, mario and many others.