Author Topic: How do I play NTSC games on a PAL N64 + PAL TV ?  (Read 3144 times)

Offline Xeraser

• View Profile
How do I play NTSC games on a PAL N64 + PAL TV ?
« on: September 01, 2017, 01:28 AM »
I'm having some problems running NTSC games on my unmodded PAL N64 and ED64 V3.

The games in question are Ogre Battle 64 and Harvest Moon 64. They boot up fine if I set the mode to M-PAL and the colors display just fine unlike NTSC HOWEVER I can see some weird lines flickering.. Is there a way to fix this ? I'm using a Samsung HDTV if that matters.

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
Re: How do I play NTSC games on a PAL N64 + PAL TV ?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 09:04 PM »
Do you have another TV to test?
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline Xeraser

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 09:13 PM »
Sadly, no..

Offline Zilog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 05:34 PM »
I had a similar problem of late. There are two things you have to consider. NTSC and PAL use different format outputs. So whilst your PAL system will run NTSC games with the EverDrive it will not output NTSC it will rather output a odd signal using PAL colour format but running at 60hz. So as you see its not a standard output. The next thing you have to consider is how you plug your N64 in to your TV. If you use a standard pal RF modal it will not work as these are PAL 50 only. If you use an AV cable it may work but only if your TV supports PAL 60, some do some do not. The other option if your TV has a RGB input is mod your N64 to output RGB. Or you can just get a NTSC system as most TVs will support AV from one.  If you have a HD TV you could also do a HDMI mod.

Offline Laz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 01:49 PM »
Or you could use S-video as I do. Far cleaner than composite and doesn't need any mods to the N64. I don't know how it would affect the PAL 60 situation with your TV though.

biokrik
@ruffisgreat sure, expansion pack not need, also you not need ac adapter and joypad, with ed64 you can control the game by the mind, like jedi. you even not need n64 deck (: