Author Topic: Goldfinger 64 has been released!!!!  (Read 44302 times)

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
Goldfinger 64 has been released!!!!
« on: September 16, 2017, 03:53 PM »
Finally, after years in the making, the Goldeneye fan-made mod Goldfinger 64 has been released!

There's a preview video at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aJZgB8j3Gw

Download the patch from:

http://goldeneyevault.com/viewfile.php?id=349

and use the Goldeneye Setup Editor:

http://goldeneyevault.com/viewfile.php?id=37

to patch a clean rom, it must be the 'GoldenEye (U) [!].z64' (google for

GoldenEye (U) [!].z64

it's easy to find.

To run this game you MUST:

A) Have an expansion pak in your N64 (it plugs into the front of the top of the N64, under that little hatch), or the game won't work (you also need an expansion pak to play Donkey Kong 64 or Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, so if you can play those two games on your N64, then you already have an expansion pak),

B) Tell the Everdrive 64 to use the 4kb EEPROM/EEP save format for the game. To do this, you must open the file 'save_db.txt' that is in the 'ED64' folder on the Everdrive's SD card, and add the line:

GF=1

to the end of the 'save_db.txt' file. Save the updated 'save_db.txt' file back into the 'ED64' folder, overwriting the original file, and now Goldfinger 64 will save correctly on your Everdrive 64.

For anyone unfamiliar with patching Goldeneye (and Perfect Dark) roms, I've written a quick 'how to'. It might seem complicated, but it's really not.

You will need a Windows based PC to use the patch file on the Goldneye rom. I don't know how to do this on Linux or an Apple Mac.

1. Find and download a clean (i.e. unaltered) rom file of the USA version of the Goldeneye rom file. This will usually be called:

GoldenEye (U) [!].z64

You might already have this rom for use on your Everdrive 64. If not, then google for "GoldenEye (U) [!].z64" (minus the quotes of course). It's easy to find (but do NOT download an .EXE file, that will be malware and will harm you PC). emuparadise is a good site to download the rom from.

2. Go to:

http://goldeneyevault.com/viewfile.php?id=37

and download and then install the Goldeneye Editor v3.0

3. Download the Goldfinger 64 patch from:

http://goldeneyevault.com/viewfile.php?id=349

4. Create a folder on your hard drive, call it anything you like (i.e. GF64) and unzip the patch file into it. Then copy the:

GoldenEye (U) [!].z64

file into it (that's the file that you downloaded in step 1, of course).

Your folder should now contain two files:

GoldenEye (U) [!].z64

Goldfinger64_1_0.xdelta

5. Start the GOldeneye Setup Editor (usually from Windows' Start menu)

6. In the Goldeneye Setup Editor, go to

Tools > XDelta Patching > Apply Goldeneye XDelta Patch

(i.e. click on Tools in the "File Edit Setup Tools Help" menu, then go down to 'XDelta Patching', then select "Apply Goldeneye XDelta Patch")

In the file locator window that opens up, go to your fold and load the file:

GoldenEye (U) [!].z64

8. The file locator will open again. This time load:

Goldfinger64_1_0.xdelta

9. The file locator will open for a third time. This time, do NOT select a file, as it is really asking you what to name a new file (the
patched Goldfinger 64 file that it will create for you to use to play Goldfinger 64). So in the file name box, type:

Goldfinger 64 v1.z64

and then click 'Save'.

Note: At NO time during any of these steps will you need to overwrite a file. If you are asked if you wish to overwrite a file, then you have done something wrong.

10. If the receive no error message, then you can use the created file:

Goldfinger 64 v1.z64

(or whatever you chose to call it) to play Goldfinger 64.

If there is an error message, then start again, and ensure that the file:

GoldenEye (U) [!].z64

that you downloaded does actually work, and if not, re-download it. Or try downloading it from a different web-site.

Note: Even though the original Goldeneye rom is 12MB, Goldfinger 64 is 24MB. Don't be worried by the larger size of the Goldfinger 64 rom, that's normal.

Also note: I chose to add the 'v1' to the file name in case a bug fix patch is released in the future. Hopefully there are no bugs in the game, but it's impossible for any developers, however careful, to be 100% sure that they've found and fixed any bug,
so if a bug-fix patch is released, then we'll know that our file:

Goldfinger 64 v1.z64

is the old version of the game and can be deleted when we have a later version.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 02:05 PM by Kerr Avon »

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
Re: Goldfinger 64 has been released!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 06:27 PM »
My pants have exploded!  GF is my favorite Bond film!  Cannot wait to try this out!

Offline Trevor

• Goldfinger64 Dev Location:UK
  • Everdrive64 v2 (PAL)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 07:04 PM »
Kerr is right because its actually a Public Beta, but we released as finished product.
There WILL definatly be at least 1 new patch which should finish the game. However after that I have one more alteration and some improvements beyond the game, but If I happen to be quick, maybe it might make the patch hahaha.

Also please note that you will need to force the save type to 4kb EEP or add
GF=1
to save_db.txt to be able to save

Enjoy Everybody

Trev
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 06:38 PM by Trevor »

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 11:05 PM »
Awesome box!  I so would have bought that game!  I felt EA efffed up royally when they chose to use From Russia With Love (Sean's favorite) to make the game of with Connery's voice overs.  They should have done Goldfinger, it might have sold. 

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 01:36 AM »
how well does this hack run on real hardware guys? i know a lot of hacks for the n64 don't work to well or not at all on real hardware. i would like to see this hack working properly, it looks really good and goldfinger is a classic.

Offline Traveller

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 01:40 AM »
Kerr is right because its actually a Public Beta, but we released as finished product.
There WILL definatly be at least 1 new patch which should finish the game. However after that I have one more alteration and some improvements beyond the game, but If I happen to be quick, maybe it might make Christmas hahaha.

GF=1

Enjoy Everybody

Trev

Thanks a lot, this is such an awesome surprise. What do you mean about adding the GF=1 though? Do you open the save file on the computer and type that in somewhere? Or add that to the filename? Sorry about newb question lol.

I should also be able to just use another patcher right? I'm on OSX.

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 09:26 AM »
There WILL definatly be at least 1 new patch which should finish the game. However after that I have one more alteration and some improvements beyond the game, but If I happen to be quick, maybe it might make Christmas hahaha.

GF=1

Finally got to try it!  I will say the KEY on the ED64 is to add GF=1 to the save db, or you have all sorts of problems.  Walked around the first level for awhile before the ED crashed. 

Offline choub

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 10:43 AM »
Hi and thanks.
What are the CRC32 for Goldeneye and Goldfinger ?

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 02:28 PM »

Thanks a lot, this is such an awesome surprise. What do you mean about adding the GF=1 though? Do you open the save file on the computer and type that in somewhere? Or add that to the filename? Sorry about newb question lol.

I should also be able to just use another patcher right? I'm on OSX.

I've added some information to the first post, this is a copy:

To run this game you MUST:

A) Have an expansion pak in your N64 (it plugs into the front of the top of the N64, under that little hatch), or the game won't work (you also need an expansion pak to play Donkey Kong 64 or Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, so if you can play those two games on your N64, then you already have an expansion pak),

B) Tell the Everdrive 64 to use the 4kb EEPROM/EEP save format for the game. To do this, you must open the file 'save_db.txt' that is in the 'ED64' folder on the Everdrive's SD card, and add the line:

GF=1

to the end of the 'save_db.txt' file. Save the updated 'save_db.txt' file back into the 'ED64' folder, overwriting the original file, and now Goldfinger 64 will save correctly on your Everdrive 64.

This is because the ED64 knows how to save properly for most commercial games and some hacks/mods, but otherwise you have to add a setting in the ED64's save-type text file to tell the ED64 how to save for a particular game. There's an explanation about how this works, and how to do it at:

https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=6125.0

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 02:44 PM »
Hi and thanks.
What are the CRC32 for Goldeneye and Goldfinger ?

You don't need to know the CRC values for these two games, as the Everdrive 64 already knows the correct save for Goldeneye (the ED64 automatically knows the save type for almost every commercial game and some rom hacks, the save_db.txt file exists only to add more settings, or to correct wrong ones), and since you can use the rom ID instead of a CRC value when setting the save in the save_db.txt file, you can just use

GF=1

in the save_db.txt file for Goldfinger 64. But if you still want to know the CRC values for the games, then you can find out how to find the values via the guide at:

https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=6125.0

(the guide seems long, but the process is really simple, you basically just drag the rom onto a batch file in Windows).

The values you will get are:

Goldeneye - DCBC50D1

Goldfinger 64 - B2242748

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2017, 04:58 PM »
Please upload a link for the rom patched , thanks :)

I've just sent you a pm.

Offline Traveller

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 02:31 AM »
Maybe the patching didn't work right on my file. I change the Everdrive to the ee4k type to start the game, it mostly works, although the sound sliders inside the game are all the way down. Also, it won't even create a save file for me to edit after, I hit reset to save and it doesn't seem to create any file.

Edit: Wait, it's not the save file that was meant to be edited.. Actually that txt file isn't in my ED64 folder at all.. weird.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 02:59 AM by Traveller »

Offline Trevor

• Goldfinger64 Dev Location:UK
  • Everdrive64 v2 (PAL)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2017, 01:13 PM »

To change the save type without a save.db.txt file follow this guide
save_db.txt is for OS 2.05, if you cannot update your OS then
Start Everdrive
Move to highlight Goldfinger v1.n64 (or whatever you named your rom)
Press Z
move to options
the first entry should say something like "No Save"
press A untill it says 4KB EEP
press B
Press B
Press Start and enjoy

Trev

Offline The Renegadist

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 12:46 PM »
Hey Trevor, what website did you use to print the box?

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2017, 06:14 PM »
Maybe the patching didn't work right on my file. I change the Everdrive to the ee4k type to start the game, it mostly works, although the sound sliders inside the game are all the way down. Also, it won't even create a save file for me to edit after, I hit reset to save and it doesn't seem to create any file.

Edit: Wait, it's not the save file that was meant to be edited.. Actually that txt file isn't in my ED64 folder at all.. weird.

What version ED64 do you have? If it's version 2 or later then you might have to upgrade your ED64's OS software, get it from: http://krikzz.com/pub/support/everdrive-64/os-bin/

For a verson 1 ED64, you'll probably have to use the method Trevor mentions.