Author Topic: Why can't I save 64dd games?  (Read 3132 times)

Offline Shellshocker18

• View Profile
Why can't I save 64dd games?
« on: September 21, 2017, 05:45 PM »
Tried as I might I couldn't find anyone else asking this question. I downloaded all Zoikity's 64dd cartridge ports and was playing and researching Japan Pro Golf Tour 64. It works just like Eikou no Saint Andrews where you can save 8 custom characters, 8 recorded shots to playback, and 5 slots for saving games in mid-progress and it did so to the disk. I'm using an everdrive 2.5 and hitting reset gives me the saving 64dd image data message and doesn't save any of my progress. Am I doing something wrong or can these games just not be saved on everdrive? What kind of files do Disk Drive games save to anyway?

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
Re: Why can't I save 64dd games?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 06:59 PM »
Zoinkity has been pretty vocal in saying that he wants nothing to do with the cart versions.  Some work and some don't.  In my personal experience, Doshin the Giant 1 does not work.  Doshin the Giant 2 probably won't work since you can't do cart swapping.  Sim City seems to work just fine, but I've only put a few hours into testing that.

It's good to know that Japan Pro Golf Tour 64 cart version won't work.  One thing to test would be to make sure you fully erase the existing save game (if there is one).  Then reset to make sure it stays gone.  If it comes back, let me know and I might be able to provide a "clean" patch for it.

With Doshin the Giant, the save file on there won't even let the game play properly at all.  You start at the end of a day, and then when you start again you're in the same spot at the end of the day again.  You can erase it and it will allow you to play for a couple days, but then gets stuck again.

The ndd images (not n64 cart images) will work in Project 64 if you use LuigiBlood's instructions.  I'm still holding out hope that one day Krikzz or marshallh will release a cart that allows you to play the ndd images with full functionality (disk swapping - Doshin 2, N64 + 64DD - F-Zero X, etc.).
Projects: Zelda OoT GCtoN64, Doshin the Giant, SSSV, Sim City 64, Getter Love, Shiren
Flash Carts: EverDrive64 2.5, EverDrive N8, SD2SNES

Offline Shellshocker18

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 09:40 PM »
Well there isn't any save data when I boot JPGT64, because the continue option in blacked out and there is no data in any of the spaces. I think it just might not work. I'm blessed everdrive can play it at all because it's a really good game for its time period, and thankfully that game has nothing to unlock or any exclusive swapping features so it's actually still fine to play. The others are unfortunate though. Well thanks for clearing that up, I'll keep my eyes on this space

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 11:49 PM »
Oh, missed that part, sorry.  I believe the saves are stored on the ROM itself.  That's how the ndd image works, and is probably the reason even ED64 v3's need to hit reset to save on the 64DD carts.

That is weird.  The save feature must be broken entirely for JPGT64.  That sucks.  You might check to make sure the file isn't set to be read only.  I'll see if I can do some testing with it too or hopefully someone with experience on it will chime in.
Projects: Zelda OoT GCtoN64, Doshin the Giant, SSSV, Sim City 64, Getter Love, Shiren
Flash Carts: EverDrive64 2.5, EverDrive N8, SD2SNES