Author Topic: @ikari_01 and anyone interested: Super NT for SA-1 support  (Read 14117 times)

Offline James-F

• View Profile
Re: @ikari_01 and anyone interested: Super NT for SA-1 support
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2017, 03:29 PM »
Doesn't get money? Really?
But that's supposedly one of the big motives that should keep the man developing the SD2SNES firmware.
If there is no profit from this business to him, I assume he will probably get bored and stop developing the sd2snes altogether.

I think you're wrong on this one, Ikari and Krikzz share the $ on the sales of the SD2SNES.
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, N8 Pro, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2017, 05:54 PM »
Are all of the SNES's extra chips (Super FX, DSP1, etc) fully understood now, so that emulators (real software emulators, like ZSNES, and Snes9x) can now play every SNES game? Or are there SNES games that still can't be emulated?

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2017, 06:01 PM »
Doesn't get money? Really?
But that's supposedly one of the big motives that should keep the man developing the SD2SNES firmware.
If there is no profit from this business to him, I assume he will probably get bored and stop developing the sd2snes altogether.

I think you're wrong on this one, Ikari and Krikzz share the $ on the sales of the SD2SNES.
Possibly he makes money on it some way, but it's using GNU General Public License v2.0 so anyone are free to modify, make and sell products based on it with certain conditions. I don't know all the details though.

Are all of the SNES's extra chips (Super FX, DSP1, etc) fully understood now, so that emulators (real software emulators, like ZSNES, and Snes9x) can now play every SNES game? Or are there SNES games that still can't be emulated?
All games work in Higan but that doesn't mean every little hardware quirk is fully understood, or even if the games works 100% as they do on real hardware (most likely not).

Offline Hanafuda

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2017, 01:33 AM »
So this SuperNT is gonna be $190? That's not unreasonable at all, considering the problems it solves vs. the real hardware. I own 2 Super Famicoms and 1 Super Famicom Jr. (w/ S- vid & RGB mods), and a Framemeister ... and I still might buy one of these. Analogue really needs to give the Famicom/NES the same treatment and give up on the $500 NT/NTminis they've been making. The people who were willing to drop that kind of cash have probably done so already.

Offline Arnold101

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2017, 10:43 PM »
There is an even better option:

https://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=15143
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRVRcXRQkGA

jwdonal is at the verge of completing his VeriSNES implementation on a FPGA, he too uses SD2SNES for testing.
He is aware of the Super-Nt project but his approach is less commercial than Analogue company.

The love for SD2SNES is big, I am sure jwdonal gladly will help ikari implement SA-1 and SuperFX, I assume it would be simpler to program than a complete SNES-on-FPGA which is almost done.
Fingers crossed!
lol 1 year ago.....

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2017, 02:28 AM »
Nothing to laugh about, completing something like this in one year is pretty fast.

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2017, 10:14 PM »
Nothing to laugh about, completing something like this in one year is pretty fast.
Yep.  This is a pretty serious undertaking, and I'm impressed he's made such swift progress.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2017, 06:03 AM »
One man can implement a whole snes on a fpga in one year, wile thousands are waiting for years and years for ikari to implement a single enhancement chip which we know he is already capable of doing according to previous CX4.

Personally, I think ikari should skip the cosmetics like: Skins, USB, Savestates, button hooks, etc.. and focus on SA-1/SuperFX.
To me it seems that focusing on cosmetics before the more important stuff is a direct sign that the latter is NEVER going to happen.

Luckily, there are only few (good) games that support SuperFX/SA-1 and one can always purchase them individually or emulate.
And this: https://www.retrocircuits.com/product/super-fx-all-in-one/
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 06:14 AM by James-F »

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2017, 10:06 PM »
Personally, I think ikari should skip the cosmetics like: Skins, USB, Savestates, button hooks, etc.. and focus on SA-1/SuperFX.
To me it seems that focusing on cosmetics before the more important stuff is a direct sign that the latter is NEVER going to happen.
Since the SD2SNES is open source I hope someone else could implement the SuperFX & SA-1 support. I don't mind if he/she forks the project and closes the source (like Krikzz) as long as the product works.
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2017, 05:02 AM »
One man can implement a whole snes on a fpga in one year, wile thousands are waiting for years and years for ikari to implement a single enhancement chip which we know he is already capable of doing according to previous CX4.

Luckily, there are only few (good) games that support SuperFX/SA-1 and one can always purchase them individually or emulate.
And this: https://www.retrocircuits.com/product/super-fx-all-in-one/
I will note that the hardware for the Super FX is likely much more complex than the CX4 chip.  The chips that are already implemented were the (relatively) easy ones.  My understanding is that the pipelining is what gave ikari problems a while back.

As for SA1, it's not even known if it's possible on the SD2SNES FPGA.  It may either not be fast enough, or not have enough room to store what is effectively the entire SNES CPU.  I'm guessing it would take a product revision to make SA1 possible.  Honestly, I'd probably just go ahead and recommend picking up the major SA1 games worth owning.

I am hoping against hope that one day they will be implemented, but I knew going in that there was a possibility it might not happen.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2017, 06:47 AM »
Isn't the SA-1 less powerful than the SuperFX?

Yes, hopefully one of the SNES-to-FPGA enthusiasts will take the SA1/SuperFX for SD2SNES as a side project and make it happen.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 07:16 AM by James-F »

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2017, 06:08 PM »
Maybe, the SA-1 is a 65816 same processor as the SNES CPU but with a clock that is many times faster, some internal user ram and maybe other things. SuperFX actually has real 3D hardware.

It's still not known if either will fit in the FPGA.

Offline James-F

• View Profile

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2017, 12:31 PM »
Sounds good! The VeriSnes seems to have been designed to assist projects like the SD2SNES.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 12:34 PM by nuu »

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL