Author Topic: Banjo Tooie - assistance appreciated  (Read 563 times)

Offline n64Chris

• View Profile
Banjo Tooie - assistance appreciated
« on: August 09, 2020, 11:28 AM »
Hi guys,

Despite my best attempts to understand I'm completely out of my depth looking over some of these technical comments.

I purchased 2 Everdrives for my brothers in 2016, and they have been enjoying it since. However, one of my brothers has recently tried to replay both kazooie and tooie - kazooie having no issues and tooie not working at all (no image, only audio).

The second brother had no issues playing tooie, so I suggested the former borrow his Everdrive. Somehow, it still had the same issues despite it working fine at my second brothers place.

He also tried it on another TV with the same issue on both Everdrives. I can't figure out how or why it works fine on my second brothers old tv combination.

I have read some comments about tooie compatibility but could hardly make heads or tails of it and it seems inconsistent with it working at one brothers house and not the other.

Any advice is much appreciated, it was one of our favourite games as children and would be great for him to be able to replay.

Offline dreimer

• View Profile
    • Reimi's Blog
Re: Banjo Tooie - assistance appreciated
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 12:23 PM »
Reinstall the OS from here: http://krikzz.com/pub/support/everdrive-64/v2x-v3x/os-bin/OS-V2.13.zip
You most likely have no AUTO\C2E9AA9A.aps anymore which is for fixing Tooie NTSC when you have a older UltraCIC which is very likely the case here.
And while at it: http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=7991.0 check this one out too.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 12:25 PM by dreimer »

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 01:52 PM »
You don't say what region of TV you have. Are you using a PAL, or an NTSC TV and N64? If you're not sure, then what country are you in (for example, the UK uses PAL, whereas the USA uses NTSC)?

If you're using the same game rom format as your TV format, then there should be no problem. But even though the Everdrive 64 allows you to play roms of all regions on any TV, some TVs can't display all regions. I have two TVs, and one of them displays every game properly, but the other TV (which is also PAL, of course, since I'm in England) can't display all N64 NTSC games.

Offline n64Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 04:45 AM »
Cheers to you both very much for the advice.

Dreimer, with some luck you are right - I will look into it right away. It does seem strange one brothers worked when the others didn't considering I initially set them up at the same time though.

Kerr Avon, I'm from Australia but I have some suspicion I bought NTSC consoles for them (I thought NTSC ran smoother or something..?). I think this explanation with the TVs is probably accurate as to why it works on one and not the others. So to clarify is there two ROM types for each game - one for PAL and one for NTSC? I have only managed to find the one so far. I'll try and dig around a bit more if that's the case.

Thanks again

Online zaphro72

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 04:57 AM »
Cheers to you both very much for the advice.

Dreimer, with some luck you are right - I will look into it right away. It does seem strange one brothers worked when the others didn't considering I initially set them up at the same time though.

Kerr Avon, I'm from Australia but I have some suspicion I bought NTSC consoles for them (I thought NTSC ran smoother or something..?). I think this explanation with the TVs is probably accurate as to why it works on one and not the others. So to clarify is there two ROM types for each game - one for PAL and one for NTSC? I have only managed to find the one so far. I'll try and dig around a bit more if that's the case.

Thanks again

Yes there are separate NTSC and PAL roms.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 12:19 PM »
There are not always an NTSC and PAL version of every game though, as both sides has exclusives. But there are far more NTSC games, as all Japan and USA region games are NTSC, while Europe/Australia versions of games are PAL games.

NTSC doesn't run smoother, but it's better because you have a much larger game library to choose from, and many of the best games are not available in PAL.

The Banjo Tooie hack only works for the NTSC-USA version of the game, so any other version will not work at all (unless your Everdrive has an Ultra CIC).
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 12:21 PM by nuu »

Offline n64Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2020, 12:40 PM »
As a small update I have unfortunately been unsuccessful in finding the other ROM version of the game.

There are not always an NTSC and PAL version of every game though, as both sides has exclusives. But there are far more NTSC games, as all Japan and USA region games are NTSC, while Europe/Australia versions of games are PAL games.

NTSC doesn't run smoother, but it's better because you have a much larger game library to choose from, and many of the best games are not available in PAL.

The Banjo Tooie hack only works for the NTSC-USA version of the game, so any other version will not work at all (unless your Everdrive has an Ultra CIC).

The one purchased for my brother was an Everdrive v3, but I have no idea if it has a Ultra CIC (nor what that even is!).

I'll keep digging and hopefully find a way to play soon.

Online supersign

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2020, 01:20 PM »
The one purchased for my brother was an Everdrive v3, but I have no idea if it has a Ultra CIC (nor what that even is!).
If it has a switch then it's a Ultra CIC II:

If it's absent, then your brother has a standard NTSC CIC or a PAL one that's locked on that region and may not able to play it unless it has a Banjo-Tooie .abs patch in the AUTO folder. The abs patch only works for the verified ([!]) NTSC version of the game.

I have a v3 Everdrive with UltraCIC II & a NTSC N64 and I'm able to play all good dumps of US, JP, PAL and 'A' (Australia) versions. I had to change Game Region to PAL in the Everdrive settings to play both Australian and European versions on my NTSC N64.
My backup of Saturnus' ED64 tools for v2 & v3 ED's