Author Topic: Sim City 64 (64DD) Translation  (Read 20926 times)

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
Re: Sim City 64 (64DD) Translation
« Reply #135 on: July 23, 2018, 12:07 PM »
My Everdrive 64 is version 2.0, and the 64DD games (including SimCity 64, wonderfully!) work fine on it. I use version 2.11 of the OS. I never bothered upgrading to v2.12 as it's just a fix for v2.5 Everdrives so wouldn't benefit me. My ED64, N64, and television are all PAL, but that shouldn't matter at all, as the ED64 runs all region roms, plus the 64DD games are probably all NTSC since they were made for the Japanese market).

If they don't work for you, then I'd imagine that either you tried the wrong versions (the disc versions of the 64DD games won't work on the Everdrive 64, you have to use the cartridge versions from https://64dd.org/dumps_p.html as they are the disc versions but modified to work on flash cartridges such as the Everdrive 64 and the 64Drive), or you incorrectly patched the roms (if you tried to patch them to the English translations).

Anyway, I've sent you a PM, please have a read and let me know if you have any problems.

Also, I think the 64DD roms need an expansion pak to be present in the N64 for them to work. Do you have an expansion pak (it plugs into the top front of the N64, where the 'hatch' thing is)?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 01:07 PM by Kerr Avon »

Offline tapedeck

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 24, 2018, 06:39 PM »
Wow. Never thought I’d see the day where I could play these without owning the ED64 v3. I just needed to update my ED64 v2 and they now all work. Many thanks for the translations in the PM. This is amazing work and I never thought I would get to play these hidden gems. I’m really amazed at how well they play and how decent Sim City is. The street-level first-person view is great too! I look forward to future updates.

Fantastic work. You’ve made my year!

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 24, 2018, 10:07 PM »
Wow. Never thought I’d see the day where I could play these without owning the ED64 v3. I just needed to update my ED64 v2 and they now all work. Many thanks for the translations in the PM. This is amazing work and I never thought I would get to play these hidden gems. I’m really amazed at how well they play and how decent Sim City is. The street-level first-person view is great too! I look forward to future updates.

Fantastic work. You’ve made my year!

If you have plans to play Doshin, check out my Doshin translation thread.  It isn't translated, but I have a Cart Hack Fix download which is a patch to allow you to play the game all the way through.  Otherwise after a day or two (in game), the game stops working correctly.  There's also a debug code you can play around with, though if you have a 2.0 don't turn on the actual debug mode (one of the options, it's all in my Doshin translation post).
Projects: Zelda OoT GCtoN64, Doshin the Giant, SSSV, Sim City 64
Flash Carts: EverDrive64 2.5, EverDrive64 3.0, EverDrive N8, SD2SNES

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 11, 2018, 12:21 AM »
[v0.6.35] Latest patch is: here

Changes:

- Query window fully translated
  - 2 more instances where the # of characters per line was increased

I had this on the back burner for a long time working on it in between other projects.  I finally finished it... sorta.  The text for the Query window is fully translated, and I've verified that a lot of it fits the window.  There are a LOT of different land tiles, so there is a good chance that some piece of text somewhere doesn't fit the window properly.  If you find any cut off text, screen shot it and send it to me please!

The names I used were pulled partially from Sim City 2000 SNES, but mostly from Sim City 2000 PC/Sim City SNES.  The devs for Sim City 64 pulled the original list from Sim City 2000 N64/SNES with very few minor changes.  The list looks like it was created specifically from Sim City 2000 N64/SNES.  As for the rest of the text, I tried my hardest to use descriptions I remember from the other Sim Citys, but it's very possible I may make minor revisions to it in the future to bring it closer to true.  At the very least, everything should make sense.

There is also a little bit of a spacing difference between Japanese and English.  Trees, Power, and a few others have the text on one line and the values on a 2nd line in Japanese to make it fit.  I left it like this for English because it still makes sense (except for trees).  I may or may not fix that in the future.  We'll see how much it bothers me/others :)

I've handed the translation back to krom.  I may try to find other text I can pull from previous Sim Citys, but I make no promises.  I really like how this hack/translation is shaping up so it's hard to let it go, but I'm not really a translator so there's no way I can finish the whole game on my own.  I also have almost no time for projects for the next couple months.

QED
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 04:12 AM by ozidual »

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 12, 2018, 06:57 PM »
Thanks for this mate, I'll be trying it when I get home.

And you might not be a translator, employment-wise, but you've done a fantastic job so far, and all in less than a year. That really is impressive (and a little obsessive  ;) I won't be at all surprised if you release any more updates, though I'm really looking forward to Krom's work too).

Thanks again for all that you've done in allowing us to understand and play this wonderful game.

Offline sysopgrace

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 13, 2018, 08:44 AM »
Howdy ozidual,

Living in Japan now and trying to catch up with the great pace of development you have made on this project.
You released a "clean" dump recently and a cart conversion of it was posted online. This patch does NOT apply to it, correct?

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 13, 2018, 06:23 PM »
On 2018-08-11 LuigiBlood updated his site - check it out.  Definitely worth a look.  He's moving more towards sealed dumps of at least some ROMs which give you a fresh save file.  This is a very important move since games like Sim City cannot easily be set to no save information.  If you erase the save games, there are still the city/mayor names, etc. saved, and it isn't easy to erase those due to checksums. 

It also opens up the (rare) possibility of finding things that came with sealed games.  Like Talent Studio comes with a bonus video that gets erase if you erase the save data.  Not on the disk system, but a version of Doubutsu no Mori came boxed with a controller pak, and someone found what they think is an unused controller pak with their Complete in Box Doubutsu no Mori.  That Controller Pak gives you a gift in game (the CP is dumped and available on the web). 

All that said, some things shifted around and a few files were removed such as the old "clean" disk version of Sim City.  This is a good thing since that clean version was broken.  It was replaced with a new clean version that works properly, but is still not a sealed dump.

Howdy ozidual,

Living in Japan now and trying to catch up with the great pace of development you have made on this project.
You released a "clean" dump recently and a cart conversion of it was posted online. This patch does NOT apply to it, correct?

For v0.6.35 and before, the cart hack patch was made to be applied to the v1.1 ROM and the disk patch was made to be applied to the clean dump (no longer exists). 

For v0.6.36 and after, the cart hack patch will also apply to the v1.1 ROM and the disk patch will apply to the original disk dump (not the clean version).

Patch v0.6.36 is here.

There is no difference between v0.6.36 and v0.6.35.  It's just that v0.6.36 applies to a different disk ROM.

My patches since v0.6.32 all create a clean ROM even if they apply to a non-clean ROM dump. 

I realize this makes it hard to go back to previous versions, but that really shouldn't be a problem since each patch builds upon the previous patches.  If a Sealed Dump of Sim City 64 is ever made available (and I hope to see that some day), I'll go back and update all of my previous patches for posterity.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 06:40 PM by ozidual »

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 15, 2018, 12:24 AM »
Now that I have an imgur account, I went back through and replaced all of the links to images with actual images.  I also added screenshots I took along the way.  Some of them I meant to post but never did.  Others were taken to either compare/contrast things or were errors I thought were interesting at the time or I just happened to grab a screenshot of something and saved it just in case I needed it later.  I tried to change as little as possible of the original posts and to document the changes in EDITs at the bottom of each.