Author Topic: X7 coil whine-like sound through speakers  (Read 4213 times)

Offline garland

• View Profile
X7 coil whine-like sound through speakers
« on: December 07, 2017, 12:03 AM »
Hi! Just got a ED GB X7 rev.A today and it sounds like this on my GBASP (ags101 if that matters):

https://youtu.be/tpZBeL1xAx4

Is this normal behaviour? Seems to calm down a bit after playing for a little while.

Cheers!

Offline migles

• View Profile
Re: X7 coil whine-like sound through speakers
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 11:41 PM »
my ags 101 also does that with my other brand flashcart (ez iv) when loading a rom, made me worried about the battery, the speakers getting noise or something broken\not working propertly (i purchased the gba recently this year)
will post here when my gb x7 arrives and tell if it does the same (however mine will be a rev b)
if you find a fix\solution please tell here so i can also fix mine

Offline fableton

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 08:49 PM »
Hi! Just got a ED GB X7 rev.A today and it sounds like this on my GBASP (ags101 if that matters):

https://youtu.be/tpZBeL1xAx4

Is this normal behaviour? Seems to calm down a bit after playing for a little while.

Cheers!

My ED GB X7 haven't arrive yet but I have the same issue with the old GB Everdrive but it only happen with a GBA SP, I have tried with 3 different GBA SP-101 and it sound noisy, I was blaming my Earphones adapter but the noise is there too without them, lower but still there, I test it with an Original GBA moded with 101 screen and the noise is not there but I couldn’t check it with Earphones or tested it for a long time.

Offline garland

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 11:06 PM »
No solution yet, it disappears quite quickly and if it's a normal feature and it's not going to break really quickly or something then it's cool, it's such a great device. :)

Offline Great Hierophant

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 10:56 PM »
I think it is probably due to aging caps no longer filtering high frequency noise as they should, my GBA SP-101 does that sometimes when I use the ED GBA X5. 
Check Out My Vintage Video Game & Computing Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

Offline garland

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 08:25 PM »
aging caps you say? hmm, might be time to recap the gba then, cheers!

Offline Xan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 10:04 AM »
Is this improved at all on the X series compared to the original EDGB? It was one of the reasons I sold mine (1.2 rev), using an SGB2 there was a shrill high pitched noise that went beyond the bus noise that is also present when playing original carts.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 02:36 PM »
I haven't come across the problem with my X7....

Offline Xan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 03:35 PM »
I think how noticeable this issue is depends on setup. The speakers in GB systems output less maximum volume and perhaps have a smaller frequency range than dedicated speakers, so it's less of an issue there.

Since the GBA X5 was also mentioned here, I decided to test it (mine is a model 16, rev A) against original Advance Wars and F-Zero Maximum Velocity carts, this time outputting from a GBA SP to headphones. The ED menu and loading games is quite noisy but ingame the results were actually pretty much identical down to the same click when the games boot up, and same background noise.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 04:13 PM by Xan »