Poll

Was this thread helpful to you? (You can change your vote at any time)

Yes.
12 (75%)
No.
4 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Rom Hack Compatibility Thread 2.0 (Closed)  (Read 13472 times)

Offline The Renegadist

• View Profile
Rom Hack Compatibility Thread 2.0 (Closed)
« on: December 07, 2017, 01:25 AM »

Hello and welcome back to the Rom Hack Compatibility Thread! This is the second thread, I've decided to reboot it as now I have a game plan that not only works around the character limitation but still looks nice and remains native to these forums without the need to use a 3rd party website. The purpose of this thread is to test and document which ROM hacks work on a real N64 console via an EverDrive 64 and which ones don't. This thread will attempt to cover every single ROM hack that exists for the N64 so that people can hop on and easily figure out which hacks will work without going through the process of testing each and everyone one, I'm doing that for you! With this list you will see which ones do or don't work, which ones have issues and if they do have issues you will see what the problem(s) are per ROM. Keep in mind that because this is a solo project I can't even begin to cover everything at once, if you find a problem that I missed or have information I don't have please feel free to let me know below and I'll add your finding to the list until I can test it myself. This thread is still highly a work in progress and work will be continued over time, any day that I make changes, no matter how small, will be noted both below in the change log and in the "Updated on" section in the title. Also keep in mind that this thread was created with the PC in mind so some elements of the web page me be a little off on mobile, mostly the banners. With all that said I hope people can use this as a tool to enhance their ED64 experience and will continue to do so for the entire existence of the ED64. Thanks and happy hacking!

Information and Specs:
Console: Launch Day NUS-001
Region: NTSC/USA
Everdrive Version: Version 3
Everdrive OS: 2.12
Everdrive OS Mods: None
SD Card Brand: Sandisk
SD Card Model: Ultra Plus SDHC/SDXC
SD Card Size: 16GB

Notes:
-This is all done and tested on an NTSC console with an NTSC television. This thread should work for both NSTC and PAL consoles alike but this needs to be confirmed. This should also work for previous ED64 versions but this too needs to be confirmed.
-Some Goldeneye hacks require a byteswapped .z64 file instead of the standard .n64 file to work without crashing, this only applies to IPS patches as XDELTA patches work fine either way.
-All Goldeneye hacks are tested without the "No AA" patch to avoid confusion and make things simpler. This patch removes the Anti-Aliasing in Goldeneye which improves performance on real consoles, expect performance to be better with this patch applied for all hacks.
-All hacks are tested with English/US patches, patches of any other language/Console will not be tested. It is to be expected that if US patches work then the rest will follow.
-Only the most updated SM64 hacks will be tested by version number, this doesn't include demos, multiplayer patches, or other patches that branch off of the main patch with edits done to them.
-All SM64 hacks that have a special ED64 patch will be tested only, no need to test any other patches or edits for the ROM hack if there's one made specially for the ED64. If the ED64 patch works and the others don't then the hack will still get a "playable" rating.
-Any SM64 hacks with [CaS] stands for "Crashes after Start, essentially the hack crashing after pressing start on the Mario head screen. This was done after I hit the character limit again.

Links and More:
Main Hack Websites:
Goldeneye/Perfect Dark/Diddy Kong Racing/Mickey's Speedway USA/Super Smash Bros. 64/Jet Force Gemini/Pokemon Snap ROM hacks: http://n64vault.com/
Super Mario 64 Rom Hacks: http://sm64hacks.com/ and https://sites.google.com/view/supermario64romhacks/home
Mario Party 1-3 Custom Board hacks: http://www.mariopartylegacy.com/forum/index.php?action=downloads
Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time hacks: http://bruceivshankle.wixsite.com/centralocarina
F-Zero X Rom Hacks: http://www.romhacking.net/?page=hacks&genre=&platform=27&game=1008&category=&perpage=50&title=&author=&hacksearch=Go
Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie Rom Hacks: https://banjosbackpack.com/ (Website currently down)

Single Hack Links:

TBA

Misc. Links:
Save Files Used: http://www.pj64-emu.com/downloads/save-files/native-saves/orderby,2/page,1/
Goldeneye No-AA Patch: https://files.catbox.moe/s60gcp.zip
The Old Thread: http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=6046.0
Video Tutorial for Patching and Using GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, and Diddy Kong Racing ROM hacks: https://youtu.be/15GpVIDNu6o (Graslu00)

Color Code and Details:
Black = Not Yet Tested
Green = Playable (The game can be started and run almost perfectly with little to no issues)
Orange = Playable but with Issues (The game can be started but may crash in-game or have issues)
Red = Unplayable (The game cannot be started)
Blue = Confirmed by another member to be playable (Not officially tested)
Purple = Confirmed by another member to be playable but with issues (Not officially tested)
Brown =  Confirmed by another member to be unplayable (Not officially tested)
[Test] = Detailed Notes on Issues
(1.0) = Version of the Hack
  • Bullet Points = Rom hacks that have multiple parts or variations contained in the single download

[Minor Lag] = A very small loss of frames aside from the usual N64 frame rate, a small but noticeable loss.
[Medium Lag] = The mid-ground between the two, gameplay is sluggish and choppy but still remains playable.
[Major Lag] = Extremely bad lag, almost like watching a slide show.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 04:34 AM by The Renegadist »

Offline The Renegadist

• View Profile
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 09:25 AM by The Renegadist »

Offline The Renegadist

• View Profile
Re: Rom Hack Compatibility Thread 2.0 (Updated on 12/6/17)
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 01:26 AM »
Change Log:

11/10/18

-Tested 1 Mario Party 1 hack and 4 Mario Party 3 hacks. Animal Crossing was the only MP3 hack to work and the MP1 hack worked just as good as the others have

11/09/18

-Added over a dozen new hacks for SM64 based on the new website of hacks discovered
-Currently migrating all of the actual hack posts to their own thread, this will allow me way more character space and will clean up the main thread a bit
-Finished migrating all of the sections, all of this will be made to look nicer over the coming days

11/08/18
-Replaced all "[Crashes after pressing "Start" on the Mario head screen]" with the new [CaS] system to save character space in the Super Mario 64 list
-Bought a new 32GB MicroSD which will streamline testing and make things go a lot faster
(More testing begins tomorrow)

10/22/18

-Tested 12 SM64 hacks, surprisingly several work on console including "Bounce Tales 64, Doki Doki Mario 64, Isabelle 64, Super Mario 64 Butterfly Edition, and Super Mario 64 Sapphire"
-Hit the character limit in the SM64 portion of the thread, shortened "Crashes after pressing "Start" on the Mario head screen" to "CaS" to save characters. Also mentioned in the notes on post one.
-Test one Mario Party hack "Bowser's Nebula" which worked flawlessly
(Only 9 more SM64 hacks to test and we're done!)

10/20/18

-Added several single SM64 hacks to the list and put the links in  the first post
-Added all of the listed hacks on "Central Ocarina" to the Ocarina of Time section of the thread and added a link to the site in the first post
-Updated hack info for all three Mario Party games, every new hack that has been released since my hiatus is now on the list
-Removed one Super Mario 64 hack "Super Mario Magic Plant Adventure 64" since no source was properly given
-Tested one Mario Party hack "Elements of Harmony" which was a success
(Note: The info for Diddy Kong Racing and GoldenEye are out of date, new hacks have been released for both during my hiatus. The new info will be added soon.)

10/19/18

-Tested 25 old Super Mario 64 hacks that were recently re-uploaded on SM64Hacks.com from the bottom of my list up. Only 3 ended up working (Super Portal 64, Super W O A H, and Visible Parallel Universes)
-Tested 1 Mario Party hack, "Bowser Land", which is working perfectly
(This means only 21 more need to be tested before I've tested every hack on SM64Hacks.com as of writing this. As of today only the 25 were re-uploaded on the new host, I'll be checking every day to see if the rest are as well)

09/14/18

-Tested one Mario Party Hack "Lost Woods"
-Updated links info with GoldenEye Vault going down

05/26/18

-Tested the Mario Party hack "Candy Land" which was a success
(Possible more testing to come overall)

05/01/18

-Tested all of the newest Diddy Kong Racing hacks, all had crashing issues
-Re-tested all of the old Diddy Kong Racing hacks with the proper ROM (Non Rev A), only Test Track came out working 100% on console
-Re-tested 3 fixed GoldenEye Multi hacks that are now working 100% (New Levels 1.1, Caves Control 1.1, and Facility Backzone 1.1a)

04/30/18

-Finished testing all of the current GoldenEye Misc. hacks, a fixed Jiggy Paradise patch should also be coming in soon
-Updated the names of several GoldenEye hacks to include the version suffix and renamed "Rainforest" to "Rainforest and Country Hills 1.1"
-Tested 2 Mario Party 1 custom board hacks
(More testing to come)

04/28/18

-Tested another Mario Party 1 board hack
-Added a new Diddy Kong Racing hack to the list (Doom Base)
-Tested several GoldenEye Misc. hacks, all of them worked besides crashing issues on "Jiggy Paradise"

04/25/18

-Tested 1 Mario Party 1 hack, worked like a charm
-Tested a few more GoldenEye Misc. hacks which all turned out working just fine

04/24/18

-Tested the first Mario Party hack which was 100% successful (Animal Crossing)

04/23/18

-Updated the header images for the Mario Party list
-Renamed the GoldenEye Multi hack from "Control" to "Caves Control" which was always supposed to be named that
-Tested 7 Super Mario 64 hacks that have been re-uploaded on SM64Hacks' new database, one worked (W O A H) while the others crashed eventually (Star Revenge 5.5 Destroyed Memories, Super Mario 64 - Dab Edition, Super Mario 64 - Last Impact - Choir Edition, Super Mario Sunshine 64, TsucnenT's Treasures, Yoshi's Island)

04/22/18

-Updated the info for the GoldenEye Multi hack "Solo in Multis (Goldeneye Legends)"
-Tested a few GoldenEye Misc. hacks with varying results
-Added a new Diddy Kong Racing hack to the list "Dino Valley"
-Removed one GoldenEye Multi hack from the list (Dish Destruction) due to it being pulled from GoldenEye Vault due to the patch being faulty
-Added Mario Party 1-3 to the list which currently has many custom board hacks (Headers are placeholder)
(Three more GoldenEye fixes are on the way!)

04/19/18

-Tested 1 Goldeneye Misc. Hack "Aiming Down Sights" which works 100%
-Updated info for some of the hacks in the Goldeneye Misc. Hacks section

04/18/18

-Added the new "Misc. Hacks" header image for Goldeneye, special thanks to Carnivorous for the crate image!
-Added a new "Misc. Hacks" section to the Perfect Dark post for hacks that change minor things
-Added the new "Misc. Hacks" header image for Perfect Dark, special thanks again to Carnivorous for the crate image!
-Re-tested several Multi hacks fixed up by Wreck, all worked without issues (Almond Temple, Block Fort Upside-Down, Block Fort, Bottling Room, Chaos, Counter-Strike Map Pack, Cuba Multiplayer,
Donut Land, Fort Plastro, Paradox, Rainforest, Solo in Multi, Streets Multiplayer, Testing Area)
-Tested 1 new Solo hack for GoldenEye called "Japanese Temple", worked perfectly
-Tested the GoldenEye hack "ToastyEye64" from start to finish without any issues
-Tested the last untested GoldenEye Solo hack in the list "K.I.L.L.E.R vs. Vendetta: Expanded Edition 1.5.2" which fixed crashing from the last patch

04/16/18

-Added two brand new Diddy Kong Racing hacks to the list
-Updated info for the Goldeneye hack "Counter-Strike Map Pack"
(Hopefully catching up on all the newest and fixed up Goldeneye Hacks and those two new header images later today)

04/08/18

-Added a new "Misc. Hacks" section to the GoldenEye post for hacks that change minor things, header image coming soon
-Added 1 new GoldenEye hack titled "Japanese Temple" to the list
-Tested 6 GoldenEye hacks, 4 (Basement, Byelemore Cliff Base, Hotel, and Retract) worked without issue while the other 2 (Hill Base and Satellite Control Bunker 2) had crashing problems
(Will be testing several GoldenEye hacks today)
(Currently waiting on SM64Hacks to re-upload all of their ROM hacks on their new database so I can continue work with SM64)

03/08/18

-Added 6 new Goldeneye Solo hacks
-Updated info again for the Goldeneye solo hack "K.I.L.L.E.R. vs. Vendetta: Expanded Edition" due to a new patch being available (1.5.2)
(Testing will commence later today, hopefully some Banjo-Kazooie hacks can be started as well)

02/08/18

-Updated the info for one GE Solo hack "Alfredo Lamberra" due to the hack being 100% compatible with the console despite the hack glitching on Hoth(in)

02/05/18

-Tested 5 fixed GE hacks by Wreck, three ended up working just fine (Dam Island, Guard Station, and Japanese Facility). One hack has issues (Alfredo Lamberra) on "Hoth(in)" making it unbeatable and the other has random crashing at the very end of the level (Abandoned Streets)
-Added 1 new GE Multi hack by Johnny Thunder (Fort Plastro), unfortunately it has crashing issues when selecting certain weapon sets
-Added 1 new GE Solo hack by Zka (Runway Infiltration), other then some lag the hacked worked 100%
-Updated hack info for two GE Solo hacks due to updates/fixes from Johnny Thunder (K.I.L.L.E.R. vs. Vendetta: Expanded Edition 1.5 and ToastyEye 64 2.2)

02/01/18

-Added 1 new SM64 hack (Star Revenge 5.5 Destroyed Memories) despite the download page being broken
-Preparing to re-test 5 Solo Goldeneye hacks due to fixes from Wreck, this will only leave three left to be fixed!

01/29/18

-Added 1 new Goldeneye Solo hack (Satellite Control Bunker), tested and works flawlessly
-Re-tested 1 Goldeneye Solo hack (Infiltration) which now works on console thanks to Wreck's fix, expect lag though
-Re-tested 2 Perfect Dark Solo hacks (G5 Base and dataDyne Warehouse - Cessation) which now work on console thanks to Wreck's fixes
(All Perfect Dark Solo hacks are tested and working, w00t!)

01/27/18

-Re-tested 7 Goldeneye hacks after fixes were made by Wreck, all were successful! (Volcano Base, Missile Facility, Severnaya Bunker 2 Mission, Code Red, Error, KAIENTAI Basement, and Runway Takedown)
-Updated the info for "Super Mario Maker 64" based on a user confirming that it does not work on console

01/25/18

-Finished testing Goldeneye Hard Mode
-Re-tested every Goldeneye Multi hack with due to them not working without byteswapping the ROM, ten actually turned out to be playable
-Re-tested Complex Mission by Timothy (Goldeneye) with Wreck's fixes, worked like a charm despite having a bit of lag
(Possibly more to come)

01/24/18

-Updated the info for the Goldeneye hack "Error" in preparation for the console fixed version by Wreck
(Re-testing of 5 fixed Goldeneye hacks and the continued testing of "Goldeneye Hard Mode" starts tomorrow)

01/23/18

-Finished testing all of the newest GE hacks, all passed with only a few minor issues

01/22/18

-Finished testing "K.I.L.L.E.R. vs. Vendetta: Expanded Edition 1.3"
-Started testing "Goldeneye with Mario Characters" and got up to Bunker I
-Testing Research Facility and Russian Bunker II today

01/21/18

-Added two unofficially tested hacks for SM64, will be officially tested down the road
-Continuing testing on K.I.L.L.E.R. vs. Vendetta: Expanded Edition 1.3, hoping to finish the hack today
-Possibly going to start on Research Facility and Russian Bunker 2 today as well depending on how testing the above goes
-Wreck from the GE community has sent a few more fixed ROMs to the owner of the Goldeneye Vault, expect more green down the line in the Goldeneye Solo Hacks section.

01/17/18

-Tested 3 new SM64 hacks, all failed
-Re-tested 7 Goldeneye hacks after they were reportedly fixed by Wreck from the GE community, 5 are now working 100% and are fixed (Kaientai Frigate, Nitro Surface, Q's Lab Device Training, Sahara Prison, and Surface Attack)
-Tested several levels in the new Goldeneye ROM hack: "K.I.L.L.E.R. vs. Vendetta: Expanded Edition 1.3", got up to "Rainforest" and will continue testing the rest of the hack another time

01/14/18

-Finally finished testing all of the currently downloadable SM64 hacks, the rest will be tested once the website fixes their issue with the dead links
-Updated the Goldeneye list to include 4 new hacks

01/11/18

-Tested over 80 more SM64 hacks, one turned out to be playable
-The website that hosts SM64's hacks is having issues with Dropbox hosting their files so several hacks in the list won't be able to be tested until they fix the issue
-Added a poll at the top to gauge community feedback

01/10/18

-Finished testing all of the varied/alternate (bullet point) hacks
-Added 12 new hacks to the list
-Tested 1 additional hack
-3 of the hacks that were tested are playable which is a miracle considering the list so far

12/10/17

-Added 2 brand new SM64 hacks to the list
-Added 2 or so SM64 hacks to the list that I missed before
-Went through every hack I haven't done yet and added any alternate/varied versions to hacks that have them (Bullet points)
-Updated Super Mario 74 to have the newest version + the multiplayer patch which will need re-testing (Previously playable)
-Added all known F-Zero X hacks plus a link to where I got them in the "Notes" section of the first post

12/9/17

-Tested 88 SM64 ROM hacks or so, "Super Debug 64" was successful out of the bunch

12/8/17

-Updated the info for a few SM64 ROM hacks in preparation for a major day of testing tomorrow
-Added several new SM64 ROM hacks to the list to be tested
-Tested a few more levels in Goldeneye Hard Mode up to Surface I.

12/6/17

-Built the initial 2.0 thread
-Put a link to this thread in the original thread for this thread
-Tested over 50 Super Mario 64 ROM hacks, none of them are playable
-Tested two new Goldeneye hacks
-Re-tested 22 Goldeneye ROM hacks, 12 now work successfully after byteswapping the .n64 into a .z64
-Updated the crash notes for the other 10 Goldeneye ROM hacks that weren't successful
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 04:48 AM by The Renegadist »

Offline The Renegadist

• View Profile
Re: Rom Hack Compatibility Thread 2.0 (Updated on 12/6/17)
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 12:55 PM »
Hey guys, We're back up and running! So why a "2.0" thread you ask? The problem with the last thread was hitting the character limit time and time again, Krikzz raised the limit a good amount a couple times but there's only so far it can go before it's too much. Once the limit was here to stay it was either close the thread as I did for awhile or relocate to a 3rd party website to continue the project and put the link in the thread. I thought neither of those would work so I came up with the idea of splitting each game into its own post, I had sort of done this before by making the intro and changelog into their own posts but not with the games.

Now, every game has its own post which means the limit is much much farther away then before though I will eventually hit it again with the Super Mario 64 hacks. When that happens I will drop a link to a 3rd party site in the SM64 post where I'll list every unplayable ROM and I'll list all the playable ROMs here on the forums, we are a ways off but it is bound to happen some time. Anyhow, with the new thread we have new banner for each game, new banners for Solo and Multi hacks (Special thanks to Carnivorous for the poses) , more ROMs tested as of this post, and updated descriptions. I've also future proofed this thread by making plenty of reserved posts for any new games that enter the hacking scene so we're set all the way around.

Bottom line, I'm back to working on this without anything to stop me now other then real life getting in the way.

Important: If you are a part of the Super Mario 64 modding scene, please post this thread on whatever forums are used. We need to spread awareness about the amount of ROMs that are unplayable on the ED64 in the hopes of getting them fixed up to play on console + making sure new ones are playable down the line. Thanks!

With all that said, please feel free to post below and thanks for sticking with me on this project!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 12:57 PM by The Renegadist »

Offline The Renegadist

• View Profile
Re: Rom Hack Compatibility Thread 2.0 (Updated on 12/10/17)
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 02:54 AM »
Bump. Now that the holidays are over I will be continuing work on this very soon!

Offline Traveller

• View Profile
Re: Rom Hack Compatibility Thread 2.0 (Updated on 01/10/18)
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 02:39 AM »
I'd like to make a Mario 64 game or something, but I would probably need some ppl to help with doing stuff. Plus, I don't have a windows machine.

Offline sysopgrace

• View Profile
Re: Rom Hack Compatibility Thread 2.0 (Updated on 01/17/18)
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 05:20 AM »
Super Banjo Kazooie 64 Redux (Demo) [cpuHacka101_1.01] - RED
Super Mario Magic Plant Adventure 64 - RED

Offline The Renegadist

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 05:28 PM »
Super Banjo Kazooie 64 Redux (Demo) [cpuHacka101_1.01] - RED
Super Mario Magic Plant Adventure 64 - RED
Where did you get these two hacks?

Offline sysopgrace

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 09:06 PM »
the redux - https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=viewthread&t=92735&page=1&pid=1461021#p1461021

the plant rom I could only find on some rom-sites by searching google

Offline The Renegadist

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 02:29 AM »
the redux - https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=viewthread&t=92735&page=1&pid=1461021#p1461021

the plant rom I could only find on some rom-sites by searching google
Well, I'm mainly testing ROMs from sources that I can directly link to on the first post of the thread, for instance Goldeneye Vault which houses EVERYTHING GE and PD and SM64 hacks. However, I'd say that SMWCentral is a valid source and will check their website out for any more SM64 hacks. In the meantime, I will add both of your findings to the list!

Offline ErivandoXP

• View Profile
Re: Rom Hack Compatibility Thread 2.0 (Updated on 01/25/18)
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 10:05 PM »
Super Mario Maker 64 - RED

Offline The Renegadist

• View Profile
Re: Rom Hack Compatibility Thread 2.0 (Updated on 01/25/18)
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 11:12 PM »
Super Mario Maker 64 - RED

Thanks!!!

Offline The Renegadist

• View Profile
Re: Rom Hack Compatibility Thread 2.0 (Updated on 01/29/18)
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2018, 04:28 AM »
Bump.

All Perfect Dark Solo hacks have been fixed and tested on console!

Offline supershadow64ds

• View Profile
Re: Rom Hack Compatibility Thread 2.0 (Updated on 02/08/18)
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 11:18 AM »
Since the release of the Star Rod tools (link below), Paper Mario hacks are going to become a thing now. The first major hack, Paper Mario Pro Mode, sadly doesn't work. At least, partially. You can play up to the first encounter with Bowser, but upon entering battle, the game promptly crashes.

http://origami64.net/showthread.php?tid=789

Offline The Renegadist

• View Profile
Re: Rom Hack Compatibility Thread 2.0 (Updated on 02/08/18)
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2018, 08:36 PM »
Wow, always cool to see more hacking tools become available for some of our favorite games. I have been taking a break from this but I'd like to come back very soon and start focusing on the hacks that aren't as well known like BK, LOZOOT, MK64, and now PM.

Unfortunately I'm only taking entries that are available to the public which can be downloaded without an account and it seems that Oragami64 requires one. Unless this is the thread for the tool rather than the actual hack.