Author Topic: background glitches on Donkey Kong Country  (Read 6188 times)

Offline pickleloaf

• View Profile
Re: background glitches on Donkey Kong Country
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2017, 07:15 PM »
Update for anyone keeping score:

A different power adapter (now using a model 1 genesis adapter) has not made a difference

Hopefully all my random posts here can help someone in the future

Offline bakageta

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2017, 11:06 PM »
Is there a way to spot a model online that may help to avoid this issue again?

So, looking back at your pic and this page with repair logs, it definitely looks like a PPU failure. Anyway...

The super famicom jr has a completely different PPU, it's quite a bit newer, has a slightly sharper picture, and it's very visually distinct... They're also more expensive, behave slightly different in a few games, they don't output RGB or S-video (?) without modding, and personally I'm not a huge fan of the design. If you want the classic style console, you're going to need to go off of serial number. Generally speaking, the newer the better. Mine is OLD and starts with S108, and there's a 1CHIP-01 at S249 and a couple of 1CHIP-02's around S251 on ebay. If you're after a US system, UN3 is a good starting point. UN31+ have a decent chance of being a 1CHIP system.

There's a good writeup on assemblergames that details the differences between the various revisions. I'm not as much of a stickler for absolute perfect picture quality as some are, my old SFC looks just fine to me but I've got no interest in RGB and a PVM, so... If it doesn't matter much to you, I'd grab the cheapest SFC you can find in the S20+ serial range. Otherwise, grab a Jr or an ~S249+ system.

This one is ugly as dirt, but cheap enough if you don't mind waiting for shipping from Japan. A bit newer, much prettier, and has a couple controllers as bonus. Here's a 1CHIP-01, pretty big price jump because the seller ID'd it as 1CHIP, but I can't be bothered to check EVERY serial on eBay. Finally, the Jr, this time shipped from the US. Hopefully that helps.

Offline pickleloaf

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2017, 01:47 AM »
Amazing
Thanks