Author Topic: does game genie work with this cart?  (Read 3506 times)

Offline Theta55

• View Profile
does game genie work with this cart?
« on: December 25, 2017, 02:01 AM »
I hear it may work with multi carts. But wondering if works with sd2snes or everdrive snes.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 03:48 AM by Deltax5 »

Offline bakageta

• View Profile
Re: does game genie work with this cart?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 11:29 PM »
No, a game genie won't work with either the SD2SNES or Super Everdrive. I believe the super everdrive has built-in support for game genie codes, though, and they're on the to-do list for SD2SNES.

Offline Great_Lakes_Gumpla

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 03:31 AM »
Then why are there directions on how to do it here?
https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=3944.0

Offline bakageta

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 06:21 AM »
A physical game genie doesn't work with either, which was the original question. I didn't realize that there was rudimentary cheat support already in an available build, but that's a fair bit more involved than just entering your game genie codes on boot and has no way to enable or disable cheats without pulling the sd card and removing codes from a pc. A proper cheat menu is still on the to-do list for sd2snes, it's a WIP for 1.8 as seen here, which should make cheating much more user-friendly. 

Offline roadkill2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 09:10 AM »
Sorry to resurrect an old topic but I just wanted to correct two posters here. The Game Genie does indeed work with the Super EverDrive, I tested it myself and it works just fine. Newer games made from 1993-1997 would not boot up without replacing the pull-down resistors on the Game Genie with 100ohm resistors however. Once you do that every game works but be sure to back up your sram files because the Game Genie many times will erase save files when there's no master code entered.

I've only tested the Game Genie on the original Super EverDrive v1 with OS-v9 and it had a DSP-1 chip installed, I can't say for sure if it would work with the Super EverDrive v2.
EverDrive N8 / Mega EverDrive X5 / SD2SNES rev. H / EverDrive 64 v2.5 / EverDrive GB X5 Rev. B

Offline Gumball

• Gumball Bunny
  • Heavy Metal Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 02:50 PM »
The sd2snes has built in support for action replay and game genie codes but not directly. Here is the easiest way at least for me to put cheats on it.
1. www.gamehacking.org go to the snes codes section and find your game.

2. Select what codes you want by checking the boxes next to the codes you want.
3. At the top of the page where you check the boxes for codes you will see a download button and format selection. Select SD2SNES change all to checked and hit download.

4. You will have a YML file with your cheats in them. Open the yml file in wordpad. (I found wordpad keeps the formatting of the text correct and you don't have to mess with it unlike notepad.)
5. Change false next to your codes to true. False keeps them disabled and true enables them.
6. Make sure the name of the YML file is the same as your rom and place it on your sd card in SD:/sd2snes/cheats example E:/sd2snes/cheats

7. make sure in game hooks are on in the sd2snes settings and you should be golden. I took some screen caps to help show some of the things I mean.

If anyone has any questions dont hesitate to ask. I see this brought up kind of often i don't think everyone knows the sd2snes has built in cheat support. There just isn't a menu option for any of it built in yet.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 02:54 PM by EpicDave »
All I wanna do is shred.