Author Topic: PC Engine CD Drive Emulator?  (Read 10081 times)

Offline akina86

• View Profile
PC Engine CD Drive Emulator?
« on: June 11, 2013, 08:06 AM »
first off, i would like to say sorry if someone already suggested this, but here goes.

would it be possible to make a PC Engine - Turbografx 16 CD drive emulator add on for the system?

i have a floppy drive emulator for my Super Wild Card that uses flash drives rather than 3.5" floppies and that got me thinking why cant a CD drive be emulated as well? then i came across the Playstation 1 that some guys are working on in Australia i think it was. this got me thinking that something like this is certainly possible. since the PC Engine used CDs only you could fit a bunch on a 16gb or 32gb memory card. now i know something like this is only worth making if there enough good games to make it worth the time, but the PC Engine has hundreds of CD based games with many top notch awesome games. so maybe in theory we could use a Turbo ED to act as a system card (or not) and then a CD drive emulator. even if i have to buy an arcade card or system card 3.0 the drive emulator would be epic for this little system!

alright, i got it off my chest! it's just an idea and i don't even know if it's possible, but i was wondering what others thought of this idea.

Offline Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
Re: PC Engine CD Drive Emulator?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 12:42 AM »
I suggested this a while ago.  It's a lot of work and krikzz said he's not interested in the pc engine cd which makes me sad.  I'd also love a solution like this for the sega cd but again krikzz doesn't have interest.  Oh well.

Offline akina86

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 07:29 AM »
that's a shame, but i understand its hard enough to make something you are interested in. i guess emulation will still have to be my Turbo CD, at least i still have that.

Offline Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 06:06 AM »
that's a shame, but i understand its hard enough to make something you are interested in. i guess emulation will still have to be my Turbo CD, at least i still have that.

You could always learn how to make something like this in your spare time if you really want.  I was interested in seeing some black and white gameboy games converted into gameboy color games fully colourized.  After a couple of weeks of painful gameboy asm study and working with a talented programmer we managed it on our own.  Having my hardware mucking skills came in handy since I can build a ghetto devcart to test these romhacks on the real hardware.  A little dedication goes a long way.  I'm hoping with fpga becoming more common and cheaper that eventually some super talented person will come along and make fpga optical drive replacement solutions of these great systems.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 06:08 AM by Drakon »

Offline akina86

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 07:10 AM »
i actually have been thinking about seeing what i can do to learn more about how something like this could work. Igor said the internet is his best friend when it comes to learning about this stuff. i guess a good place to start might be for me to figure out how the emulators handle the cd emulation and go from there... long journey, but maybe a fun one.

Offline Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 04:11 PM »
i actually have been thinking about seeing what i can do to learn more about how something like this could work. Igor said the internet is his best friend when it comes to learning about this stuff. i guess a good place to start might be for me to figure out how the emulators handle the cd emulation and go from there... long journey, but maybe a fun one.

Yeah I've completed many projects this way.  Usually my work starts with a simple curiosity of "gee I wonder how this ticks".  Spend enough time researching and it's amazing what you can pull off.  I've done many projects that I never imagined would even be possible thanks to the internet and everyone sharing little discoveries.  It's like solving a puzzle, find all the pieces on the internet and next thing you know you've got the big picture.

There was a number of new / never been done before projects I wanted to see get done.  I found most of the time the best way to get it done is to just do it myself.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 04:13 PM by Drakon »

Offline Redifer

• DO! BASEBALL!
    • View Profile
    • Game Sack
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 06:19 AM »
I don't think it would even be possible to run CD games from the cart port even if you had a CD unit attached. For one, where would the RAM be? The Turbo Everdrive doesn't have enough RAM for the Super CD or Arcade CD. Secondly, how would redbook audio be handled?

Offline Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 03:41 AM »
I don't think it would even be possible to run CD games from the cart port even if you had a CD unit attached. For one, where would the RAM be? The Turbo Everdrive doesn't have enough RAM for the Super CD or Arcade CD. Secondly, how would redbook audio be handled?

Yeah the solution would be a fpga that plugs into the expansion port.  The PC engine / turbografx cd addon doesn't have much to it so it would be easiest using fpga to reproduce it from the expansion port.

Offline akina86

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 08:58 AM »

yeah, that much is pretty obvious, what i am looking for is a way to emulate a CD drive via the rear expansion bus. i am already balls deep in information from similar project by others. i know i will be needing help from people more qualified than me, but the more info i bring to the table, the better my chances are of getting something going or find out i am wasting my time.

Offline Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 01:31 AM »
yeah, that much is pretty obvious, what i am looking for is a way to emulate a CD drive via the rear expansion bus. i am already balls deep in information from similar project by others. i know i will be needing help from people more qualified than me, but the more info i bring to the table, the better my chances are of getting something going or find out i am wasting my time.

You'd be surprised.  With some of my romhacking efforts I had people pointing me in the direction of technical documents.  I learned a lot, did a lot of work myself, got the project mostly working.  I posted my results asking for help.  I had a very talented programmer come out of nowhere and help me fix the few remaining bugs.  There's a lot of people out there who don't have time to hold peoples hands through entire projects.  However if you get the project so far on your own they will have time to help you with smaller issues.  It also shows that you're not a waste of time to work with by getting a certain amount of work done on your own.