Author Topic: What Does The X5 Offer Over The EZ Flash REFORM?  (Read 7392 times)

Offline SnakeEater

• View Profile
What Does The X5 Offer Over The EZ Flash REFORM?
« on: January 16, 2018, 01:45 AM »
Aside from what seems to be a more premium build, what features (hardware or software) does the Everdrive X5 GBA have over the EZ FLASH IV REFORM? Is it worth the extra money to get an Everdrive instead?

Offline Shadow666

• View Profile
Re: What Does The X5 Offer Over The EZ Flash REFORM?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 02:59 AM »
Aside from what seems to be a more premium build, what features (hardware or software) does the Everdrive X5 GBA have over the EZ FLASH IV REFORM? Is it worth the extra money to get an Everdrive instead?

EZ4 Reform is just that a "reformed" mobo so there is nothing new added to the table Everdrive GBA X5 still superior

and refer to my response here

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=7140.0
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 03:01 AM by Shadow666 »

Offline JCR1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 03:39 AM »
Ezflash only wins in his small cart, also has reset and sleep function patch, but is buggy and not work in all games, but overall everdrive wins.

Offline Localhorst86

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 12:14 PM »
Both carts don't require ROM patching and both feature a high compatibility (near 100%, see the note for the EZ-Flash model regarding reset and sleep patches). Here's a list of unique features of each card:

EZ-Flash reform:
1/3rd the price of an Everdrive.
Smaller form factor. with the swapable shells it will even sit flush in a DS Lite.
Automatic Reset-to-menu and sleep patching. These can cause incompatibilities, though and it is recommended to disable these via the config file.
It does not feature any built in emulator support (Goobma, PocketNES) but you can still run those emulators by using their PC frontends.
Loading ROMs into PSRAM is considerably slower (up to 90s, depending on the ROM size) than the Everdrive GBA 5X, but not unbearable.
ROMs larger than 128Mbit (16Mbyte) need to be flashed to the NOR of the card first. This takes quite a long time (a few minutes) and can sometimes be flaky when using a regular GBA (non-SP) with rechargable AA batteries. Once flashed to NOR they run instantly, though.
No RTC. Games that came with an RTC (Pokemon Ruby/Saphire/Emerald) will still run, but features relying on the RTC will not be available

Everdrive GBA 5X
Larger form factor. It will stick out of a GBA and even more so out of the DS Lite. This is a feature so you never forget that you're using an everdrive. Makes it also harder to lose the card :p
Fast ROM Loading. Games will only take a few seconds (~2s) to load. No matter the size.
RTC Support
Lower power consumption
Built in emulator support for Goomba and PocketNES, just drop the emulators in the system folder and drop GB and NES games on your SD card. No PC Tools required.

Overall the EZ-Flash Reform is just another EZ-Flash IV "remake" The hardware design for that device is quite a few years old by now and remains unchanged. That makes it considerably cheaper but might require more fiddling to get working satisfyingly for the end user and also consuming more battery.
The Everdrive, while having a considerably more "premium price" makes up for it by being a more modern design in terms of features, build quality and battery consumption. If you have the money and don't mind the larger size, go for an Everdrive.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 05:56 PM »
IF EZ-Flash Reform has "NOR" then it should also be compatible with NDS/GBA enhanced games. I.E. any GBA game that has extra 'features' bonuses unlocked by having specific GBA cartridges in the expansion slot.

Of course that depends on how the NOR functions, it might work with some enhanced NDS games, but not all of them.

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=5842.0
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 05:58 PM by Galron »

Offline Localhorst86

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 10:32 PM »
@Galron: that also depends on how the NDS games do check for GBA titles. Some titles check the SRAM/EEPROM/FLASH Savegame. These should also work with the everdrive GBA. I am not sure if the NOR of the EZFlash can be used anyways, as when you flash a game to NOR you still need to go throught the EZFlash Menu when you power up the gameboy/ds

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 07:26 PM »
Ahh, too bad.

Offline Arnold101

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 03:28 AM »
buy an ezflash. cost a lot less

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 06:14 PM »
Arnold, likely the main reason for buying EDGBA is for the RTC. That is the main feature it includes over the EZFLASH. The fact its faster is a bonus.

I know for me that was the reason I bought one. I'd also buy new model if it adds save states.

But would also like mini-force feedback (like Drill Dozer, and also function as a rumble pack for DS Lite) if that was an option.

Motion control (unlikely only because it would only be used for three or four games, one of which also had rumble), or solar cell feature (also unlikely but used for three games).

I know RTC is only used on like four or five games as well....

GBA X5 is roughly the size of a Boktai, Yoshi's Topsy Turvy, and Drill Dozer cartridge.

Presumably there is possibility to redesign the board and shrink RTC, and card back to a standard GBA cart size. That would possibly make space in the upper part where a feature like solar cell, motion control, or mini-feedback could be installed, but likely not all three. Personally I wouldn't buy GBA X7 model if all it added was 'smaller form factor' case. It would at least have to also have save states.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 11:33 PM by Galron »

Offline PKUS01

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 10:18 AM »
Obviously, the current ezflash omega's performance is more powerful. It does not require a battery to support RTS fonction.
You can read more about ez omega here http://www.3ds-linker.com/85-ezflash-omega-linker-pour-gbagbmgbasp.html.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 06:19 PM »
Do you mean RTC (real-time clock)?

Real-time saves (RTS) don't usually require batteries at all.

The X5 doesn't require the battery for regular saves. But doesn't have quick save (RTS feature), but does have battery for the clock.

The Omega cart cart actually does have a battery, and its not removeable. If the battery ever dies you are screwed.

http://www.maxconsole.com/threads/updated-official-maxconsole-ezflash-omega-review.46870/

"Non-removable lithium ion battery."

Offline MasterBuller

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 07:57 PM »
Do you mean RTC (real-time clock)?

Real-time saves (RTS) don't usually require batteries at all.

The X5 doesn't require the battery for regular saves. But doesn't have quick save (RTS feature), but does have battery for the clock.

The Omega cart cart actually does have a battery, and its not removeable. If the battery ever dies you are screwed.

http://www.maxconsole.com/threads/updated-official-maxconsole-ezflash-omega-review.46870/

"Non-removable lithium ion battery."
Well that's pretty much it, the EDGBAx5 it's still superior over the EZO

Offline Localhorst86

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2018, 11:42 AM »
The X5 doesn't require the battery for regular saves.

Does it really not? I was under the impression the EDGBA only wrote the save to the sd when you power the cartridge on or when changing the game (like the Everdrive GB does). I figured the battery was still needed to keep the save until this has happened.

Define "screwed". The cartridge will still function and almost every feature will still work with the only exception being the real time clock. Yes, chaning the battery on the Omega is not as easy, but it's also not impossible. It requires basic soldering skills, which makes it a little more involved than a pre-soldered battery holder like the EDGBA has.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2018, 12:00 PM »
I thought it might have a feature like the GB X3 doesn't require a battery to hold the save games in 'memory' while the system is on? But skip the step of having to 'push' the button like you do with the X3. Wouldn't it just be able to write the save to the sd the moment you shut it off? To be fair I don't know how the GBA X5 works on that front. It is possible the battery is needed until its finished backing it up to hold the data, while its' off'.

As far as I remember reading the battery on older ezflash backed up your games to the SD when you shut the system off. But it probably did use the battery to hold the save until it had time to complete the backup process.

As for 'screwed' I'm talking about your games that have RTC will be screwed. Only the clock feature itself.

Offline Localhorst86

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2018, 12:15 PM »
I thought it might have a feature like the GB X3 doesn't require a battery to hold the save games in 'memory' while the system is on? But skip the step of having to 'push' the button like you do with the X3. Wouldn't it just be able to write the save to the sd the moment you shut it off? To be fair I don't know how the GBA X5 works on that front.

yeah, the EDGB x3 saves the game upon returning to the menu (pretty much like the EZFlash IV does on the GBA) which is done by pressing the reset button. That's why the x3 does not require a battery. I might be wrong about the EDGBA x5 requiring the battery to save the game but I presumed it would work like on the EDGB x5/x7 where the save would be stored in SRAM until it is written to the SD either after a power cycle or when launching a different game. But then again, it could be using flash or eeprom memory which doesn't require a battery. The product page of the EDGBA x5 lists 128k SRAM. So the battery is almost certainly needed on the EDGBA x5 for regular savegames to work. There is no way for the cart to save the game the moment you shut it off, it'll either have to do that during the next power cycle or when switching games - either way, the battery is needed to keep the savegame "alive" until this process is finished.

But to be fair, chaning the battery on the EDGBA x5 seems like a breeze compared to a more involved process using a soldering iron.