Author Topic: Donkey Kong 64 and SRAM  (Read 16874 times)

Offline Linx

• View Profile
Donkey Kong 64 and SRAM
« on: June 14, 2013, 04:08 AM »
I'm sure this question has been asked 100 times before but I can't seem to find it.

Is there any way to set Donkey Kong 64's save type to SRAM so I don't always have to remember to set it?

Offline Mardo

• View Profile
Re: Donkey Kong 64 and SRAM
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 09:15 PM »
I think the latest OS does it automatically, not sure about it  ;)

EDIT: Yup, I guess this is what you are looking for:

1)Allows to load/save controller pak to file. Please use any .mpk file and c-down button. It works only if controller pak plugged into joy port1. /ED64/dummy.mpk file can be used for exchange
2)Ability to force default save type
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 05:59 AM by Mardo »

Offline Linx

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 08:52 PM »
That works.   :)  Thanks.  But is there any way to save the setting on the everdrive?  Whenever I turn it off and then back on, it reverts to DK64 default save type and not what I forced it to

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 04:42 PM »
If you push c-up, game will start with yours settings, but if you use start button, settings will be reset to default

Offline enteking

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 04:26 AM »
Which one of the different SRAM save types should be used for this game to prevent the data loss after some hours of gameplay?

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 05:46 AM »
Which one of the different SRAM save types should be used for this game to prevent the data loss after some hours of gameplay?
Donkey Kong 64 (E) [f1] (Boot&Save)
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X7 - TED v2.4 - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - EDGB X7 rev B

Offline SuperMeatBro

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 02:28 AM »

1)Allows to load/save controller pak to file. Please use any .mpk file and c-down button. It works only if controller pak plugged into joy port1. /ED64/dummy.mpk file can be used for exchange
I just lost my DK64 2 hours saves (after several (two or three) plays. Is that the cause?
Is there any other game with this type of problem?
Edit: Ok i just read about a "protection" that delete the save files after the first crown or something. so i need to find a rom fix (ntsc console) like Donkey Kong 64 (U) [f2].z64
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 02:35 AM by SuperMeatBro »

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 03:05 AM »

I just lost my DK64 2 hours saves (after several (two or three) plays. Is that the cause?
Is there any other game with this type of problem?
Edit: Ok i just read about a "protection" that delete the save files after the first crown or something. so i need to find a rom fix (ntsc console) like Donkey Kong 64 (U) [f2].z64

If you can't find the file, then pm me your e-mail address and I'll send it to you.

Offline SuperMeatBro

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 03:16 AM »
I found it :) So, what i have to do is to force sram and push c-up button each time a start the game? Do you know if there is a save file online with somethings like the first level completed?

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 09:00 PM »
Sorry, I don't know. To be honest, I'd prefer it if you played again from the beginning, so you could confirm that the "Donkey Kong 64 (U) [f2].z64" files saves and works OK. Does this file work with the default save, or does it need "Force Sram" to be set?

I'm away from home at the moment, so I can't check myself (and this is the time Saturnu implements cheats in his new OS, when I'm half the country away...  >:(), and it'd be great to know once and for all what file (and setting) DK64 needs to save properly.

Offline SuperMeatBro

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 03:50 PM »
I'm so far at funji forest, with somewhat over 100 golden bananas, and I didnt lose my save files since i use Donkey Kong 64 (U) [f2].z64, force sram, press start (i dont where i read that we need to push c-up to start the game, c-up start the last game u play...) I would like to know what are the other problematic games that need a special rom file (If someone cant send me link in a Pm, it would be nice.)`;;

« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 04:03 PM by SuperMeatBro »

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 10:06 PM »
pm sent.

Offline honey9

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 07:52 AM »
i would like to appreciate you for sharing such a great info with us
passit4sure   pass4sure
Certkiller 640-802 braindumps   Certkiller 640-802 braindumps

Offline cannibs4200

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 07:04 AM »
I'd like to point out that i was backing up my save file constantly with this game.
I realized it was eeprom that was chosen, so i used this tool http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=1396.0 to change the save file to sram. just open the file, uncheck both the boxes on the right, chose SRAM, then hit ok. change the file name to .sra from .eep and then follow the directions below to boot using sram.

Just thought i'd share my findings here... i was playing the Donkey Kong [F2] and didnt hit force save type. using 2.04.
apparently to force the save type properly you have to hit A button on the game, hit select game only. then hit z button. hit opions. hit A button on save type until it goes to SRAM. hit b to back out until you are at the rom list. then hit start to start the game that was selected. (instead of hitting a on donkey kong, then start game, which will make it eeprom)

i managed to get my game to show up after converting to sram. i have no idea if it will delete it, but i am hoping i dodged a bullet/

Offline markrjones1970

• Ex-Ocean Software staff member&original N64 owner
    • View Profile
    • Ocean Software Facebook page
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2016, 07:50 PM »
Ugh. I'd been playing Donkey Kong 64 for just under 10 hours (as recorded on my save). I've been using the rom that starts with the Dextrose logo (Donkey Kong 64 (E) [f1] (Boot&Save).z64). I'd backed the save file up on my Pc too but it's now not being recognised by the game. I've tried just copying the save back to my ED card and that's not worked. I tried converting it to a bak file then renaming it as an eep file as demonstrated here and that's not worked either.  Anyone any idea what I'm doing wrong?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 08:10 PM by markrjones1970 »
Mark R. Jones