Author Topic: EEPROM Games and x7 Everdrive not working  (Read 4878 times)

Offline Adrian Gauna

• View Profile
Re: EEPROM Games and x7 Everdrive not working
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2018, 11:59 AM »
Oops. Looks like I was mistaken about NBA Jam. It saved for me on 3.05, but doesn't save for me on 3.06. REV 01 of TE from the goodgen set saves, though.

Edit: Tried a few roms of NBA Jam non TE and none of them seem to save. Is it possible for a manual override ala the Everdrive GBA X5?

After the last time we commented on this topic a few months ago not long after, I started experience sram save issues on 3.06 but not eeprom issues, eeprom saved just fine like you said but sram saves started disappearing after 24 hours, Sonic 3 for example the window would say ''NEW'' the next day, I had this issue for about a month but now it seems to have stopped and saves sram just fine.

When this issue was happening I went ahead and tried out all RPG games that used sram saves just to find out if the in-game menu worked well with them and it does, so worse case I could just rely on save stating to get through them because SNAP save states saves straight to the SD card and doesn't rely on battery back up like sram.

One day I did a big clean up in the SAVE FOLDER and removed some files that I thought were not needed and since then, this issue has gone away and sram is saving on all games, i'm thinking that it might have been down to a SAVE file in the save folder interfering with the battery back up? Whatever was causing it, it's gone and good because I wasn't going to risk opening up my X 7 and replace my battery in the cart.

So I was thinking... Does this NBA Jam game support the in-game menu? If so then stop worrying and just use that to save your progress.

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2018, 07:16 AM »
So I was thinking... Does this NBA Jam game support the in-game menu? If so then stop worrying and just use that to save your progress.

If bugs aren't reported, they won't be fixed, regardless if there is a workaround. I have NBA Jam on cart if I just want to play the game.

edit: I checked to see if in game menu works. It comes up, but the game freezes with a black screen when it is used.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 09:40 AM by brianvgplayer »

Offline Adrian Gauna

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2018, 10:33 AM »

If bugs aren't reported, they won't be fixed, regardless if there is a workaround. I have NBA Jam on cart if I just want to play the game.

edit: I checked to see if in game menu works. It comes up, but the game freezes with a black screen when it is used.

Very true regarding bugs. I (personally) try to use the SNAP save state feature as much as possible when saving in games and less on sram and eeprom but yeah, there is a small handful of Mega Drive/Genesis games that this feature doesn't work well or not at all with.

Black screen on NBA Jam when in-game menu brought up means the game sadly isn't fully compatible with the in-game menu.

A small list of games I know of that are not compatible or don't work at all with the in-game menu of the X7.

1. Shinobi III = Glitchy screen when returning to game from the in-game menu
2. Lemmings = Blue screen when returning to game from the in-game menu
3. Flink = Glitchy screen when returning to game from the in-game menu
4. Zool = Glitchy screen when returning to game from the in-game menu
5. Chuck Rock 2 = Doesn't work at all
6. Moonwalker = Doesn't work at all
7. Mega Man The Wily Wars = Black screen when returning to game from the in-game menu on 3.06
8. Wonderboy In Monsterworld = Glitchy screen when returning to game from the in-game menu
9. NBA Jam = Black screen when returning to game from the in-game menu

NOTE: Megaman The Wily Wars and Wonderboy also use eeprom and they're both now saving for me.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 10:35 AM by Adrian Gauna »

Offline derFunkenstein

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2019, 02:34 AM »
A year later from the origin of this thread and I'm also having problems with a Mega Everdrive X7 and EEPROM games. I have the Smokemonster ROM pack and I'm using ROMs from the "unpatched for Everdrive X7" folder. I can see on my SD card that 8kb .eep files are being created, but when I start a game up again later nothing loads. For example, I play a game in NBA Jam (original, not TE) and finish it, and get to the screen where it shows my record. Then I quit the game via the in-game menu and load the game again. My record is gone. But there's a .eep file. I delete the file and try again, same results. What am I doing wrong?

BTW this is all with firmware 3.07. I also tried 3.06 but didn't get any different result. It's an official cart purchased from Stone Age Gamer.

Offline Marteicos

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2019, 04:54 PM »
Try using the reset button on your console to go back to menu. The instructions told to reset like the x3 to backup the eprom save. The x3 don't have a in game menu, so maybe that's what you are missing. I have an x5 so I can't test it myself.

Did you saved eprom games successfully using in game menu reset before?

Don't use fancy in game menu with eprom save games.

Offline derFunkenstein

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2019, 10:53 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try it out. The reset button on my Genesis doesn't work, but the top button acts like reset. Maybe that'll do it.

Offline Marteicos

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2019, 02:02 AM »
I can't tell, if it doesn't you will need to fix your reset button.

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing™ inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2019, 06:01 AM »
The reset button on my Genesis doesn't work
I fixed my Genesis II reset button using this rubber switch (8x8x5mm). Soldering skills needed.

And so I go fast.

Offline Marcos

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2019, 08:44 PM »
Two games are giving problems with save system, they are.
1-NBA Hang Time: The save function is not working and this game also uses save SRAM.
2-NFL Quaterback Club32X: The game does not work, it uses save EEPROM but when I select it it gives a black and blue screen (same screen as it gave in NBA Jam T.E.).