Author Topic: Star fox 2 laggy  (Read 1042 times)

Offline lopenator

• View Profile
Star fox 2 laggy
« on: July 04, 2020, 02:37 PM »
Hello. Currently using sd2snes pro. I notice when I play star fox 2 the game is laggy. I never played the real cart so I am not sure if it's suppose to be like this.

I have been trying to find the proper setup in the configurations but have failed. Unfortunately I do not know what most of these things mean.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Re: Star fox 2 laggy
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 06:10 PM »
I never played the real cart so I am not sure if it's suppose to be like this.
Only a very few people have. :) This is an unreleased game.

It's supposed to be slow, the SNES just isn't very fast and games are designed with this in mind, so you are probably having the authentic experience.

Offline lopenator

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 07:13 PM »
I meant the people who got it with the snes classic. They are playing authentic. I was just wondering if maybe it's the same experience. Thank you for the reply.

Offline J^P

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 07:20 PM »
I mean just look footage at youtube?

Im sure its supposed to run 10-15fps anyway, unless you play on zsnes where it runs 60fps(and three times faster than its intended, as in fast-forward)

Offline lopenator

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 09:39 PM »
Yea, it looks pretty slow on that too. It's so bad I can't even play it. The original start fox runs better and that's enjoyable.

Offline dreimer

• View Profile
    • Reimi's Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 02:23 PM »
Well. 1st thing: SNES Mini ist not really a authentic play session as it's just a emulator too, a emulator with well known flaws.
Anyways. You know that the FX Chip core of the FXPAK / sd2snes can be clocked higher? Not very authentic too, but helps a lot with the quite normal slowdowns.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2020, 01:30 PM »
Yes, the mini is the only official release it got but you could argue that it's not authentic since it doesn't run on the hardware its designed for.

I think Star Fox 2 seems to run faster than the original Star Fox. All Super-FX games are kind of stiff, but they are generally designed with that in mind. Overclocking the FX chip generally makes the games too easy, because the SNES clock still runs at normal speed, which means things like timers are still slow while the player becomes fast. You can make super fast runs in Stunt Race FX for example if you overclock, and you never have to worry about time running out.

Offline dreimer

• View Profile
    • Reimi's Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2020, 07:40 PM »
Not entirely true. Games like Stunt Race FX and Star Fox run faster then, but Doom and Star Fox 2 do not. They simply run smoother.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2020, 03:25 AM »
So later games was designed in a smarter way. It all depends on how the game was programmed.