Author Topic: Which is the better everdrive I can buy?  (Read 2769 times)

Offline legolas119

• View Profile
Which is the better everdrive I can buy?
« on: April 02, 2018, 01:26 AM »
Hi, I have a megadrive PAL, modded in order to play jap games too and to play usa/jap games at 60Hz.
I would like to buy an everdrive.

I read here https://krikzz.com/store/home/33-mega-everdrive-v2.html  the differences between the 3 different model. But a lot of parameter are not totally clear for me. For example, both X7 and x5 support ALL megadrive games? Super Street fighter 2 included?

I read this article and it suggest to buy X5 https://db-electronics.ca/2017/07/05/the-dangers-of-3-3v-flash-in-retro-consoles/#Mega_Everdrivex7 because it is dangerous for the console to use a lot the x7.  And he suggest the x5.

What do you think?

thanks

Offline EverDriver

• Administrator
  • support
    • View Profile
Re: Which is the better everdrive I can buy?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 03:10 AM »
Mega EverDrive X7 is the most advanced EverDrive for Sega Mega Drive / Genesis.
If you don't plan to use the save state feature allowing to save your game progress at any point of time you can buy X5.
If you plan to develop for Sega Mega Drive / Genesis then likely you need X7.

The guy who wrote that article doesn't have sufficient hardware skills to make such a conclusion.
EverDrives don't damage consoles.
It does make sense to trust facts but not an article of an unskilled person.
If EverDrives would damage consoles there should be a substantial number of damaged consoles.
But so far there are no such reports. Only that article.

Offline legolas119

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 04:23 PM »
ah ok thank you!

ok, as i said I have a megadrive PAL with 2 switch in order to change hz (50 to 60 for PAL games) and language (ENG/jap). If I play PAL games loaded in X5 or X7, can i use the switch  to 60hz as with original PAL cartridges in order to play them at 60hz?

Speaking about differences between X7 and x5, I have some questions:

1) X7 support also games with big size but X5 not. Correct? In any case, all original game are supported from both cards?
2) X7 can be updated also for firmware, not only for OS (as X5). I read the feature "hardware core update through SD"
3) X7 has more Memory Type PSRAM (16 MByte instead of 8 Mbyte); what does it means? It means that x7 can load games more quickly?
4) Save state: x7 is able to save game in every point and i can resume it, correct?
5) In game menu: can you tell me something about this feature?
6) the release date of X7 (02/01/2015) is older than X5 (14/09/2016) , why?
7) I checked here the last update for both cards: http://krikzz.com/pub/support/mega-everdrive/x3x5x7/OS/   It is necessary to update the cards with MEGAOS-V3.06.zip file?

thank you very much
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 01:31 AM by legolas119 »

Offline MadAussieBloke

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 07:36 AM »
I have a modded Mega Drive 2 with 50/60hz & Japanese/English switches... I use the X7 without any issues, mate ;)

Offline Death Devil

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 12:38 PM »
On X7 version you can play a one good hack Ultimate Mortal Kombat Trilogy by Kabal, SSF II game. And write to 17 Mbyte like VGM rom image called VGMPlayer v 3.30

Offline thecavalry

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 11:38 PM »
Mega EverDrive X7 is the most advanced EverDrive for Sega Mega Drive / Genesis.
If you don't plan to use the save state feature allowing to save your game progress at any point of time you can buy X5.
If you plan to develop for Sega Mega Drive / Genesis then likely you need X7.

The guy who wrote that article doesn't have sufficient hardware skills to make such a conclusion.
EverDrives don't damage consoles.
It does make sense to trust facts but not an article of an unskilled person.
If EverDrives would damage consoles there should be a substantial number of damaged consoles.
But so far there are no such reports. Only that article.

I have to call BS here. The guy who wrote this is absolutely NOT unskilled.

db Electronics is well respected in retro gaming circles, contributing often to the Retro Roundtable - with other very skilled contributors such as Voultar, RetroRGB, and HD Retrovision.

He also does not say that it will outright wreck your console. He suggests that the voltage handling on the x7 may increase the amount of wear and tear over time and could potentially shorten the console lifespan.

Administrator or not, you shouldn't be so offended of valid criticisms and should seek to correctly read and understand the article before spouting off hate speech.

Offline EverDriver

• Administrator
  • support
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 12:17 PM »
thecavalry
If one makes such serious statements he should provide a proof.
All professionally made hardware has designed properties.
The hardware creator "informs" the hardware users about features of the hardware.
Under what conditions it may be used and so on. It's called "datasheets" typically.
For example: our hardware may work well with such voltage such current and so on.
Have you seen any such official data from that "very skilled guy"?
It's good that he produces/changes/fixes different hardware successfully and he has done it for a very long time.
But it doesn't mean that he has sufficient hardware skills to make those statements.

I don't question his ability to do what he has done for years.
I question his ability to make such statements.
He hasn't provided any information from hardware manufacturer concerning the hardware lifespan.
It's not professional. Only unskilled people do it.

Krikzz has provided it.
Any hardware skilled person would check it and will see that everything is ok.

A hardware skilled person won't trust the words of some guy from internet.
He/she will check it him/herself. It's not something incredible. It's quite easy.
A critical thinking is much better than a blind trust to anyone. No matter how respected he or she is.

Offline thecavalry

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 04:54 AM »
Don't pretend that there is some kind of special sauce in the conductors and resistors that make up the Everdrive boards. There is nothing that makes them an exception to the laws of thermodynamics.

If you stress electronic components past maximum tolerances there is a reasonable expectation that if regularly stressed in this way, they will tend to fail more quickly than if they were operating within regular tolerances.

This is the point of the criticism. Not a condemnation, not a fantasy. You don't need a datasheet to know this.

However, he does utilize at least one of Krikzz' own datasheets in his real world observations of voltage measurements to illustrate how some Everdrives expose the flash chip to voltages that exceed stated maximum voltage tolerances. Are you claiming that somehow Krizz' own datasheet is wrong?

And if they do this, and regularly exceed these limits - are you also stating that this in some way does not have the potential to wear out the components that are handling these higher voltages more rapidly?

It's not a BS article. He's not just some "unskilled person" who wants to harm Krikzz or the Everdrive's reputation. He is someone who is advocating people to be cautious with their older electronics.

So, don't treat it like a hit job and don't disparage him for creating a conversation about how flash carts and multi-carts interact with our retro consoles.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 05:22 AM by thecavalry »

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing™ inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 06:22 AM »
He suggests that the voltage handling on the x7 may increase the amount of wear and tear over time and could potentially shorten the console lifespan.
Too many "mays" and "coulds" eh?
Tell me how many customers had their consoles broken directly because of prolonged Everdrive use.

Don't pretend that there is some kind of special sauce in the conductors and resistors that make up the Everdrive boards. There is nothing that makes them an exception to the laws of thermodynamics.
You are right, and because of that merely applying power to your console using it shortens its lifespan  ::)

It's not a BS article.
Yes it is when the french guy puts the Everdrive at the same level of shoddy Chinese crap flashcarts.

Did you return your Mega Everdrive X7 to Krikzz? If you are worried about the Everdrive damaging your $10 Genesis of course you wouldn't want that massive risk, right?
And so I go fast.

Offline thecavalry

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 06:48 AM »
Nobody said anyone's consoles were broken/rendered useless due explicitly to using an Everdrive. No one places the Everdrive in the same quality of manufacturing of the Chinese Multi-carts either.

Hypothetical example: If X console can be expected to last 40 years under normal conditions, but stressing the components shortens it's lifespan to 39 years, this would demonstrate the point of the article.

It's not saying definitively anything other than more voltage than design limits is not good - which is why I used the language I did in both of my posts.

I haven't returned my Everdrive X7. I'm not afraid to use my X7. But I'm also cognizant that it stresses my console more than a regular copy of Sonic 2 would. 

Offline roadkill2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 02:10 PM »
Hi, I have a megadrive PAL, modded in order to play jap games too and to play usa/jap games at 60Hz.
I would like to buy an everdrive.

I read here https://krikzz.com/store/home/33-mega-everdrive-v2.html  the differences between the 3 different model. But a lot of parameter are not totally clear for me. For example, both X7 and x5 support ALL megadrive games? Super Street fighter 2 included?

I read this article and it suggest to buy X5 https://db-electronics.ca/2017/07/05/the-dangers-of-3-3v-flash-in-retro-consoles/#Mega_Everdrivex7 because it is dangerous for the console to use a lot the x7.  And he suggest the x5.

What do you think?

thanks

Depends on how enthusiastic you are about the Genesis/Mega Drive as well as what add-ons you'll be using. For instance, if you're just going to use Genesis/MD casually, then the X3 is good enough which will save you money.

Another thing is that you have a Region Free Mega Drive already, which means you don't need the MEGAKEY feature that's in the Mega EverDrive X5 and X7. The MEGAKEY feature allows games from any region to be played without any mods done to the Genesis/MD. So if you don't plan on getting any attachments (32X, Sega CD) and don't care about not be able to pause SMS games, I'd say the X3 would be enough for you since you already have a region free console, it'll save you money if that is one of your concerns. The only downside is that you would have to make sure you press the reset button for games with save files, that doesn't need to be done on the X5 and X7.

Me personally I bought the Mega EverDrive X5 because I knew that with my setup I'd have the 32X attachment on most of the time, and the 32X doesn't let you use the features such as the MEGAKEY and the in-game menu that are in X5 and X7 (the X7 is the only one with an in-game menu). But I also knew I'd be playing some Sega CD games every now and then too, and the X5 has a memory card feature for the Sega CD, the X3 does not. Also, not having to remember to reset the console for games that have save files is very convenient for me .

The Mega EverDrive X7 is for enthusiasts that will be playing on a Genesis/MD with big ROM hacks, SMS backwards backwards compatibility, Sega CD, and lastly if they don't mind detaching and reattaching the 32X every so often to use all of the X7's features. (or just they use a 2nd Genesis/MD without a 32X attached).
EverDrive N8 / Mega EverDrive X5 / SD2SNES rev. H / EverDrive 64 v2.5 / EverDrive GB X5 Rev. B