Author Topic: FDS audio samples  (Read 5997 times)

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
FDS audio samples
« on: April 02, 2018, 04:09 PM »
1. Is there anyone who could make reference records of sound from real FDS? At the moment i working over large update for N8 and i hope that FDS sound finally will be fixed.
2. Also i wonder if some emulators has good enough sound emulation?

Offline James-F

• View Profile
Re: FDS audio samples
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 05:08 PM »
I suggest Nestopia UE as referece. http://0ldsk00l.ca/nestopia/
This is the latest Nestopia with the latest patches and still updated to this day.

Great to hear that you are working on an update for the N8.
Do you mind sharing your goals for this update?
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, N8 Pro, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline Great Hierophant

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 08:07 PM »
Nestopia UE is very good when it comes to FDS audio, I doubt there is an emulator that is better.  The Analogue Nt Mini is just as good except a bug which means that the Metroid door opening sound does not play. 

I could record anything from my Famicom with an "old-style" board revision through RF and my AV Famicom, FDS RAM Adapter and FDSStick.  Both varieties of Famicom are important to capture the range of mixing of internal and external audio.  Old-style Famicoms have louder internal to external mixing than new-style Famicoms and the AV Famicoms.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 08:09 PM by Great Hierophant »
Check Out My Vintage Video Game & Computing Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

Offline Arjak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 04:36 AM »
Since you are working on FDS audio, could I make a small suggestion? Someone on the forum pointed out that the automatic disk switching makes it impossible to view certain games' intros, etc., which is where many games made use of the FDS audio. They suggested mapping disk swapping to the second controller's start and select buttons, which would not be used by games due to the original Famicom not having said buttons. I think it would be an excellent idea to do this, or at least make it an option to map switching to an unused button or button combination.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 03:19 PM »
Thanks guys, will start with Nestopia UE.
As for disk swap, i will think about some solution, probably controller combo is the best way

Offline aldocx

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 06:08 PM »
I can record direct audio from a composite modded Famicom from 1990 and a second revision Disk System if it can be of any help.
Please don't use select+start on the second controller as the button combo as some of us use Famicoms!

Offline Koh1Fds

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 09:12 PM »
I can record FDS audio with AV Famicom and Infrasonic Quartet Sound Card (decent one)

I also have this video, but it was recorded with GVUSB2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0EY_k40IEk

Offline Jegriva

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 01:05 AM »
As for disk swap, i will think about some solution, probably controller combo is the best way

That would be great, thanks Krikkz.

Offline ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 05:49 PM »
Does it need to be a button combo?

Offline Great Hierophant

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 09:22 PM »
The NES PowerPak requires you to push a button on the FDS title screen to "insert" a disk
and automatically switches disk sides unless you hold down the select button.  It loads a hacked FDS BIOS to implement these features.
Check Out My Vintage Video Game & Computing Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 06:58 AM »
I want to remind the obvious;
All NES/Famicom revisions/regions have different external/internal audio mixing levels, so it will be very useful to have some control over the balance on the N8.
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, N8 Pro, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2018, 09:16 PM »
That's great news.  I'm excited for the eventual update!
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline db2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2018, 05:31 PM »
<3 KRIKzz

Also of note, I could never get Hao-kun no Fushigina Tabi (Mystery Quest) for FDS to work, but I also can't rule out the possibility that it might be a bad dump.

Offline polyh3dron

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2018, 10:11 AM »
zomg we might actually get FDS audio working on the N8? YESSSSSSSS

Offline roadkill2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2018, 03:34 PM »
I didn't really need accurate FDS expansion audio from the EverDrive N8 thanks to my Hi-Def NES, but I certainly welcome it for when I play it on analog composite/mono RCA output (I also have the ENIO board for the expansion port of the Front Loader NES which enables expansion audio).

But what I welcome most is being able to change disks with a button combination so that I could watch the whole intro in Zelda 1. Although I think auto-loading should still be an option to be able to turn on and off, because I've found it to be convenient for the most part.

Kevtris messed up the FDS Metroid door opening/closing expansion sound in his latest Hi-Def NES kit update, I'm hoping he fixes it soon in a new update (he already knows about the bug).
EverDrive N8 / Mega EverDrive X5 / SD2SNES rev. H / EverDrive 64 v2.5 / EverDrive GB X5 Rev. B