Author Topic: The rare but annoying Error 91 + SDR and how I fixed my ED64 with a 10$ iron lol  (Read 2203 times)

Offline scx

• View Profile
Hi guys,

So I had sent a few tickets to support about the error 91 , SDR issue and I thought why don't I fix myself (risk the warranty) , after speaking to support I came to conclusion the ram is faulty and almost sent to krikzz for repair, when I realised I had some issi 6ns 54-tssop ram sitting around.... OH the dilema, I've never removed ram  as I don't own a hot air station and wondered if I could get away with it using low melting point solder ? YEP it was easy-mode. I put a line of low melting point solder enough to cover all pins left/right of the 54-tssop and proceeded to heat both sides up wet and wow it flew off after a little time.

Now the moment of truth I put new ram on again with a 35 watt 10$ iron I can't afford these ' temperature controlled soldering stations' anyway and to be honest I've never required one for SMD work... so whatever the new ISSI ram is on.

Does she boot?

Does she play?

Hopefully that damn error 91 SDR will stop plaguing me, I thought I'd sorted it a few times thinking I had fixed it by setting it to 25mhz spi as appose to 50mhz, and even trying to find dry joints.. but no the issue is random to say the least.

I'm one happy ED64 owner and I won't let this take away from what is 1) great firmware, 2) great hardware, and 3) great support. I understand that some problems occur with hardware that is out of the manufacturer/designers hands at the time because let's face it - it took weeks  to show it's true colors, different humidity/ temperature etc can surface the issue - faulty ram is hard to diagnose especially if it's tssop where it is unlikely to have been burned in by  krikzz which would take a long time to do.

Enjoying my ed64 v3.

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing
    • View Profile
when I realised I had some issi 6ns 54-tssop ram sitting around....
Wait a minute... are you telling me you had exactly the replacement you needed lying around
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline James-F

• View Profile
I realised I had some issi 6ns 54-tssop ram sitting around
I put a line of low melting point solder enough to cover all pins left/right of the 54-tssop and proceeded to heat both sides up wet and wow it flew off after a little time.
I put new ram on again with a 35 watt 10$ iron

Highly unlikely.....

But I do agree that the ED64 has file system issues that need to be fixed asap.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 09:09 AM by James-F »
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, N8 Pro, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline scx

• View Profile
when I realised I had some issi 6ns 54-tssop ram sitting around....
Wait a minute... are you telling me you had exactly the replacement you needed lying around

Sorry been busy . Yes my friend Kipper2k from the Amiga scene had quite a few of these and had sent me them common footprint and size for hardware he had been working on at the time after I was about to send it to Krikzz for repair and then realised I had the exact ram I had been sent weeks before , the photo shows quite clearly I swapped out the old ram with the issi ram which worked a treat and desoldered it with low melting point solder and a iron very carefully and soldered by hand with lead solder afterwards . ( no hot air ) I’m a newbie hardware engineer but learned a lot regarding smd soldering , HDL programming and pcb design so I don’t recommend anyone new to soldering try this.

Offline scx

• View Profile
I realised I had some issi 6ns 54-tssop ram sitting around
I put a line of low melting point solder enough to cover all pins left/right of the 54-tssop and proceeded to heat both sides up wet and wow it flew off after a little time.
I put new ram on again with a 35 watt 10$ iron

Highly unlikely.....

But I do agree that the ED64 has file system issues that need to be fixed asap.

Looks like some ram chips ( very low percentage ) have issues but this resolved that , I suppose it’s impossible to diagnose as the memory tests and ed64 worked fine for weeks - after which it would work for days then go bad then work for days until eventually it failed completely . I had thought moisture / humidity / temperature played a role as it was a hot summer however my conclusion is that the ram was simply faulty but I don’t blame anyone as it is simply a unlucky hardware issue