Author Topic: GB/GBC game compatiblity on different hardware.  (Read 1754 times)

Offline Galron

• View Profile
GB/GBC game compatiblity on different hardware.
« on: April 28, 2018, 02:43 PM »
Came across this and it might be useful, for those who may be playing a rom using their EDGB, and think that the problem they come across might be due to EDGB itself.  When in fact there are a number of games that were designed for GB or GBC color that don't work well on any generatons higher than them.

IE, some original GB games don't function properly on GB pocket or higher. Some GBC colors don't function properly on GBA/GBA-SP, some may not run properly on the GBA Player on Gamecube, etc. Of course Super Gameboy doesn't run exactly like a proper Gameboy, and runs games faster than normal.

https://forum.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?151903-Problem-gameboy-games-on-Advance/page2

One of the things I've come across is games that rely on digital sound/music channel may sound extremely scratchy or have alot of feeedback. Such as Rampart, and I think Cannon Fodder on GBC comes to mind...

Apparently quite a few games will sound 'normal' with no feedback if played on the generatoin of console they were designed for.

Presumably using EDGB on the console in which the game first came out on should mitigate this, and run properly. I cannot say for Gameboy Pocket as some versions of EDGB have problems with that hardware in general.