Author Topic: Game Genie and PAR code issues  (Read 9664 times)

Offline Redifer

• DO! BASEBALL!
    • View Profile
    • Game Sack
Game Genie and PAR code issues
« on: August 09, 2012, 09:11 AM »
Often I will put in a Game Genie code that works on a real Game Genie but only gives me a frozen red screen on Mega Everdrive.  Also, PAR codes do not work at all.  Real PAR codes are formatted as: 000000:00 but Mega Everdrive PAR codes are 000000:0000.  Just putting two 0s for the last two digits doesn't seem to work.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Game Genie and PAR code issues
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 10:38 AM »
Red screen means that game perform  checksum check, you should use master code to disable checksum check. It is not some everdrive specific problem. Everdrive PAR means physical address and 16bit data

Offline Redifer

• DO! BASEBALL!
    • View Profile
    • Game Sack
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 01:49 AM »
That doesn't really help.  I always use master codes when available.  It works on a real Game Genie but not Mega Everdrive, so the issue must therefore be within the Mega Everdrive OS.  PAR codes do not work at all.

Offline Chilly Willy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 04:56 AM »
"Real" PAR codes are XXXXXX:YYYY. They consist of an address in the rom (and occasionally the ram) followed by the word to store at that address. Unlike GG codes, they are not encoded in any manner. That makes them easy to make whereas GG codes require a converter app to generate your own.

If a game checks a checksum of the cart, changing one word requires also changing whatever is needed to make it skip branching when the checksum fails. It's possible that your GG automatically does that on games that it knows checks the checksum. Emulators and things like the MED don't, so you have to set that extra code yourself.

It would also be handy if you mentioned which game it is you are having trouble with.

Offline Redifer

• DO! BASEBALL!
    • View Profile
    • Game Sack
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 08:33 AM »
I believe Wings of Wor was one of them.  Red screen even with the master code (try these http://gamehacking.org/?s=v2&sys=8&gid=7289 ).  Works fine on a real Game Genie.  I highly doubt that the Game Genie contains a ROM of known games especially when the book it came with were full of master codes for many games.  So there is something about the Game Genie that the MED is not emulating entirely.

Also, any PAR codes I enter from these sites do not work as they do not have four digits after the colon.

http://gamehacking.org/?s=v2&sys=8&pp=a
http://bsfree.shadowflareindustries.com/?s=11&d=5

I have not seen many PAR codes on the internet with 4 digits after the colon.  Why do some have two and some have four?  How do I input the ones with only two?  Like I said, just putting zeros for the last two digits doesn't work.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 08:37 AM by Redifer »

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 11:02 AM »
Try to run some game in emulator, let say Fusion,  enter some gg code, after that you can see your gg code and par code equivalent.  PAR code look like XXXXXX:YYYY and not like XXXXXX:YY, as you can see.
Red screen with master code means that master code is wrong or current code for other version of rom. Try to load your rom in Gens+, enter and activate the code, then press tab (m68000 reset). You will see exactly same red screen

Offline Redifer

• DO! BASEBALL!
    • View Profile
    • Game Sack
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 12:45 PM »
Tried in Kega Fusion.  No red screen after hard reset with TAB.   Don't have Gens, not on Windows.  EDIT:  Not sure if I used the same ROM or even the same game.  I've been going through a lot of them lately.

Why do many sites have PAR codes as XXXXXX:YY?  How do I input those?

EDIT 2:  Even PAR codes formatted as XXXXXX:YYYY don't work, such as these:  http://gamehacking.org/?s=v2&sys=8&gid=7915
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 01:00 PM by Redifer »

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 01:04 PM »
I tired to explain, so, look at this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCxH07zL0oU

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 01:07 PM »
Why do many sites have PAR codes as XXXXXX:YY?  How do I input those?
I don't have answer on this question, ask those people who publish this codes.

Offline Chilly Willy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 09:49 PM »
I believe Wings of Wor was one of them.  Red screen even with the master code (try these http://gamehacking.org/?s=v2&sys=8&gid=7289 ).  Works fine on a real Game Genie.  I highly doubt that the Game Genie contains a ROM of known games especially when the book it came with were full of master codes for many games.  So there is something about the Game Genie that the MED is not emulating entirely.

Also, any PAR codes I enter from these sites do not work as they do not have four digits after the colon.

http://gamehacking.org/?s=v2&sys=8&pp=a
http://bsfree.shadowflareindustries.com/?s=11&d=5

I have not seen many PAR codes on the internet with 4 digits after the colon.  Why do some have two and some have four?  How do I input the ones with only two?  Like I said, just putting zeros for the last two digits doesn't work.

Okay... looking at many PAR codes, they are ram codes. Anything starting with FF as the top two digits is modifying ram. That takes special support (I'm not sure if MED has that... most flash carts only support codes on rom, not on ram). Also, PAR codes sometimes are on odd addresses, so the values cannot be stored as a word. You would do them as two byte stores like this:

Code: [Select]
p = ((char*)data) + pair->addr;

*p = (pair->data & 0xFF00) >> 8;
*(p+1) = pair->data & 0xFF;

Storing the value as two byte stores allows for those odd addresses. Maybe that's an issue in the MED menu.

As for codes with only two digits, maybe the people posting the codes felt that since the first two digits were 0, they didn't need to include them. However, remember that the 68000 uses big endian data access, so a byte at address X would be stored as a word to address X-1, not to address X. So I would try 004EC1:57 => 004EC0:0057.

Offline Redifer

• DO! BASEBALL!
    • View Profile
    • Game Sack
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 01:08 AM »
Krikkz, thanks for the video.  I'm not sure what code you put in but if there is a Master Code listed (such as there is with Wings of Wor) I ALWAYS use it.  I understand the importance of the Master Code.

Chilly Willy, does this mean that all PAR codes need to be modified when entered into the MED?  The ones listed on websites as XXXXXX:YYYY don't seem to work, either.  I cannot get any PAR codes to work for ANY games and I have tried a bunch.  I'm pretty much convinced that either ALL PAR codes on the internet are bad or PAR does not work at all in MED.

Offline Chilly Willy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 03:14 AM »
Chilly Willy, does this mean that all PAR codes need to be modified when entered into the MED?  The ones listed on websites as XXXXXX:YYYY don't seem to work, either.  I cannot get any PAR codes to work for ANY games and I have tried a bunch.  I'm pretty much convinced that either ALL PAR codes on the internet are bad or PAR does not work at all in MED.

If all the ones you try that fail all start with FF (like FFC977:01), I'd say it's pretty clear the MED doesn't support ram codes. I've seen tons of ram codes... not as many rom codes. The highest a rom code would be is 3FFFFE:xxxx. By the way, if you want to see what GG codes are in PAR terms, get a converter like the one here:
http://games.technoplaza.net/ggencoder/

If you convert the WoW GG codes from that site you pointed me to into PAR codes, you'll see they are rom codes, not ram codes, whereas ALL the PAR codes on that site for WoW are ram codes.

Offline roadkill2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2018, 03:23 PM »
Sorry to bump a very old topic, but the problem is that there's no physical on/off switch for Game Genie codes like on a real Game Genie. A real Game Genie can also cause red screens. The work around is to flip the GG code switch to the off position, let the game boot up to the title screen, then turn the switch to the on position (green light will turn on also on the GG) and the codes will now work and there's no red screen. If the Mega EverDrive had a physical switch like the real Game Genie, that would be a neat feature. I've had to buy a Chinese 112-in-1 multi-cart and a real Game Genie to play certain games with GG codes since I can't with the Mega EverDrive because there's no on/off switch.
EverDrive N8 / Mega EverDrive X5 / SD2SNES rev. H / EverDrive 64 v2.5 / EverDrive GB X3 Rev. B

Offline Lord Awesomesauce

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2018, 02:16 PM »
A real Game Genie can also cause red screens.

This is what master codes are for. I'd suggest looking for them for your games here: http://gamehacking.org/

If they're not available for the game(s) you want to play, I'd request them on their forums.

I wish the Mega Everdrive would support RAM Pro Action Replay cheats, but it's probably extremely difficult to implement.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 02:18 PM by Lord Awesomesauce »

Offline roadkill2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2018, 09:35 PM »
A real Game Genie can also cause red screens.

This is what master codes are for. I'd suggest looking for them for your games here: http://gamehacking.org/

If they're not available for the game(s) you want to play, I'd request them on their forums.

Ah ok thanks, I'll try that out with my Mega EverDrive.
EverDrive N8 / Mega EverDrive X5 / SD2SNES rev. H / EverDrive 64 v2.5 / EverDrive GB X3 Rev. B