Author Topic: SD2SNES issues (freezing)  (Read 22135 times)

Offline Svin83

• View Profile
Re: SD2SNES issues (freezing)
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2013, 12:33 PM »
maybe 1.5 causing issues with certain snes revisions?
It is possible. May be even it happend only with some combinations of console and cartridge

On the 6th of May, Ikari said on his blog (http://sd2snes.de/blog/) that he expected to release a bug fix / minor release in a few weeks. Any inside info on when that will be available?

Offline Uberrich

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2013, 12:14 AM »
Just curious, are you actually involved in the firmware development Krikzz or is it just Ikari ?

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2013, 07:43 AM »
Just curious, are you actually involved in the firmware development Krikzz or is it just Ikari ?
krikzz has nothing to do with software
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X7 - TED v2.4 - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - EDGB X7 rev B

Offline Hanafuda

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2013, 01:00 AM »
Someone posting on the sd2snes site/blog noticed recent activity (2 wks ago) on ikari's github repository. Maybe something's coming ...

http://sd2snes.de/blog/archives/312#comment-273054

https://github.com/mrehkopf/sd2snes

Offline thepcdude

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2013, 04:11 AM »
Someone posting on the sd2snes site/blog noticed recent activity (2 wks ago) on ikari's github repository. Maybe something's coming ...

http://sd2snes.de/blog/archives/312#comment-273054

https://github.com/mrehkopf/sd2snes
For sure something is going on. On his twitter he posted that the project is now opensource! twitter.com/orzvektor

Offline cowise

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2014, 09:23 PM »
I'm having the same issues, unfortunately. I thought it was a faulty board at first (the back of the board would become very warm and you could feel the heat through the shell). Stone Age Gamer replaced my board and shell for me, though, and the issue is persisting on 0.1.5. I'll try downgrading to see if that will fix it, just so disappointing. :(

Offline 76mickd

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2014, 05:52 AM »
Can you guys play Actraiser 1 or 2, does 7th Saga freeze in battles? With Actraiser I get a black screen but the music is playing fine. It's the same effect as not plugging in the yellow video wire but having the white & red audio wires on an A/V plugged in. 7th Saga plays but randomly freezes in battles. Star Ocean not working. I am noticing a pattern with Enix games here. Ikari I assume... do you do the programming? It is something with what Enix games utilize in the system. Or is it power problems.

If it's money problems, I don't think any of us would mind sending it back for a fix for $20 bucks or open a donations page I'll donate for this cause :D

Thanks for all you guys work on this, much better than the emulators. Games are so smooth, no jittery or choppy frames, I happy!!!!

BUT I JUST WANT THEM ALL TO WORK :D
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 08:16 AM by 76mickd »

Offline ikari_01

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2014, 01:31 PM »
Sorry about the stability issues, I'm about to try rewriting the extremely timing sensitive memory sharing mechanism (which is required so the sd2snes can save while the game runs). It seems when I change the timing to "improve" robustness it works for some people but breaks for some others... :( Thus I'll try a far less timing sensitive approach, hope it will work out.

@thepcdude
sd2snes has ALWAYS been open source - the github project exists ever since I started working on sd2snes Mk.II. ;)

@cowise
The heat is actually coming from inside the SNES, the heatsink of the voltage regulator sits quite close to the back of the cartridge slot. The sd2snes itself runs pretty cool.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 01:35 PM by ikari_01 »

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2014, 05:03 PM »
sd2snes has ALWAYS been open source - the github project exists ever since I started working on sd2snes Mk.II. ;)
oooooooo SD2SNES mark II........;)

Offline ikari_01

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2014, 04:10 PM »
To clarify, Mk.II is what you are holding in your hands right now ;) Mk.I never reached "production status".

Offline thepcdude

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2014, 04:43 PM »
To clarify, Mk.II is what you are holding in your hands right now ;) Mk.I never reached "production status".

Thank You! ;D Can you share some features of Mk.II or is it all top secret at this point?

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2014, 11:59 AM »
Ikari means that Mk.I never went for sale, the one you can buy has always been Mk.II.

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2014, 12:07 AM »
ahhh Mk.1 was prototype ;)

Offline Mattroid

• Deluxe Edition
  • So many games, too little time
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Crusade
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2014, 09:43 PM »
Sorry to bump, but this seemed better than starting a new thread. I have this issue as well, which mostly seems noticeable with Enix import games. Then again, that's mostly what I've been trying out recently, so it may be coincidence. Here are my findings so far:
  • I do NOT have any issues using the browse menu as others have indicated
  • Downgrading to 0.1.3 seems to resolve all issues mentioned below, as least from what I've noticed and the limited testing I've done so far
Using 0.1.4 or higher presents these issues
  • Star Ocean (translated then patched) starts but locks up at character naming screen on a new game
  • Tales of Phanstasia starts but locks up during the initial intro battle sequence (at various points during this scene, not always the exact same spot)
  • Some games such as Top Gear 3000 and Seiken Densetsu 3 some just go to a black screen at start up, but if I reset the game a time or two, they will usually start up and play fine (not fully confirmed with TG3000 - not test in 0.1.3 yet)
I plan to do more specific game test during the week, but for now I think I'll stay on 0.1.3 and see how that goes for the games I want to play at the moment. I also plan to do some hardware checking on my system. Unfortunately I don't have another SNES to test with. I will also test with another SD card just in case.

Looking forward to 0.1.7 as it sort of sounds like that may help with some of this, assuming it's a firmware issue and not something else. Sorry if this was redundant info, but figured I'd throw out what I'm seeing as well.

EDIT: Tested using another SD card and had the same issue. I will test with others I have sitting around, but I doubt there will be any difference.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 02:31 AM by Mattroid »
2600-Harmony Encore; NES-PowerPak, EverDrive N8; GB-EverDrive GB v1; SNES-Super ED v1, SD2SNES; GEN-Mega ED v1; N64-ED64 v2; NGPC-Bung 32Mb, NeoFlashMasta, NeoFlashMasta USB, NGP SD; GBA-EZ-Flash II 256Mb, EZ-Flash IV Redux, ED GBA X5; NDS-R4

Offline Kyle_Blackthorne

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2015, 12:25 AM »
I don't know if this will help, but I found something that may help contribute.

I've found that the freezing issue only occurs on pre-1CHIP models of the SNES. As many may already know, the 1CHIP started in 1995 (?) and continued its life in the SNES Mini (just on a smaller motherboard).

Anyway, I just stumbled on this by accident as I started using my original SNES (the launch model) based on the information found on the following article - http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=46303

Since then, I started experiencing freezing. So I double checked both the 1CHIP-03 model, and the SNES Mini (I've owned both) and sure enough, the freezing stopped on these newer models. So I downgraded the firmware, and the SD2SNES on my original SHVC model no longer experienced freezing.

This leads me to believe that the newest firmwares are not tested thoroughly on the older models, although I could be mistaken. Ether way, I needed to let you guys know. Any information should be helpful.

P.S. Sorry for bumping this. But I didn't want to make a cloned topic.