Author Topic: Move the MicroSD slot - Famicom N8  (Read 1114 times)

Offline JohnnyPhantom

• View Profile
Move the MicroSD slot - Famicom N8
« on: May 07, 2018, 11:14 PM »
Hey everyone,
I have a famicom N8 that was once inside of a NES shell with the Gyromite pin adapter and it works great and there was no need to cut a hole/notch for the sd card slot. I like my everdrives to have everything self contained with no card slots when I can. Anywho, I just got into Famicom and imported a system and a disk drive. I'd like to move the N8 famicom board into a real Famicom cart shell. I got my donor game and stole its shell, but the SD card hits the shell when closing it up. I noticed o nthe board where the SD card slot is, there seems to be a contact pad foot print for the card to be moved in as well, just to confirm. I should be able to unsolder the current port and re-solder it in the shifted place and it should still work?

Also, best way to desolder it? I was thinking about using ChipQuik to remove the port, clean the area, and then re-solder it with normal solder

Offline Jegriva

• View Profile
Re: Move the MicroSD slot - Famicom N8
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 03:29 PM »
The Famicom N8 is 3-4mm higher than a “standard”* Famicom game. You can find cheap cases on Alibaba, since Krikkz has stopped selling them (I wish I had bought the clear blue one).

*while the Nes game had all the same shell, each Famicom developer could have his own different shell, with its own shape and color. So there isn’t really a “standard” shell, nut we could agree that the Nintendo ones are those we could consider unofficially so.

Offline JohnnyPhantom

• View Profile
Re: Move the MicroSD slot - Famicom N8
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 11:57 PM »
I'm using the purple shell from a famicom kung fu, purple's awesome. I just need to move the sd card slot inward so it fits, other than that, it seems to fit very well (just had to remove some internal plastic from the shell