Author Topic: EZ-Flash Omega Anyone got one yet?  (Read 3302 times)

Offline Theta55

• View Profile
EZ-Flash Omega Anyone got one yet?
« on: May 08, 2018, 01:18 AM »
Can someone please see if link cable support works. Just curios does this have ds play also if you have a ds device that can play from second slot? How are you liking it.
Im getting tempted, It plays everything fine so it seems from other people who have it.. Any reported hickups?. savestats are unrilable like some of the everdrives I hear but good to have when the game works with it. Cheats is my main reason also and a reason I didn't buy the x5.
But I have this feeling that the everdrive gba x7 is coming in the near future why else would they call the one we have now x5 and everyone knows everdrives are quality thou the omega is prob cheeper by a bit. I hope to see the x7 in the 2019's and hope it has everything the omega has but better. I have a very old gba flash cart that alright for the mean time it just doesn't support hc cards so Im stuck with low capacity cards that are so hard to find now.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 01:21 AM by Deltax5 »

Offline Theta55

• View Profile
Re: EZ-Flash Omega Anyone got one yet?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 01:28 AM »
Features:

GBA game copy and play, no client needed
    Fast patch engine, instat game load speed, additional manual patch engine to support modified rom
    Hardware based direct save to SD card.
    Cheat
    Save states
    Real time clock
    Sleep
    Hotkey customizable
    256Mb PSRAM suppot all game instant load
    512Mb Norflash, keep your favorite games
    GB/GBC/NES game copy and play
    System on chip level recovery mode, prevent upgrade dead
    Support FAT16/FAT32/EXFAT´╝î 128MB-128GB SD card
    Firmware and kernel both are upgradable

IM hearing that it takes quite a bit of battery life. I am mainly using it on the cube player so it's not a big deal.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 11:23 PM by Deltax5 »

Offline Localhorst86

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 11:49 PM »
Can someone please see if link cable support works.

Yes, linking works. I have tried with F-Zero Maximum velocity and this is the result:

Multipak-Link Omega <-> original game
works

Multipak-Link Omega <-> EZflash Reform
works

Multipak-Link Omega <-> original game <-> Revo K101+ (K-Card)
works

Singlepak-Link Omega -> AGS-101
works

Just curios does this have ds play also if you have a ds device that can play from second slot?

The Omega allows you to play GBA games on a DS if that's what you're asking.
If you're asking wether or not you're able to utilize it for stuff like PokePark: I don't have the means to test but I would assume this wont work. A DS game that can access the GBA slot for a special connection game would either reuire the cartridge ROM to have the proper header or at least the proper save game present in SRAM/Flash/EEPROM. Since the Omega does not have such a memory but instead saves the game directly to the SD I would deduce that this simply wont work with the omega.

How are you liking it. Im getting tempted, It plays everything fine so it seems from other people who have it.. Any reported hickups?. savestats are unrilable like some of the everdrives I hear but good to have when the game works with it. Cheats is my main reason also and a reason I didn't buy the x5.
Cheats and savestates need to modify the game ROM in order to allow for the proper interrupts to take over. This is bound to cause issues with some games that are very picky about their (iirc, coding for the GBA was really just a minefield of bugs and undocumented behaviour). That's why the EZ-Flash Team has provided a clean boot option, you'll have close to 100% compatibility using the clean mode.

There is an issue with the NOR memory on an original GBA (AGB-001). You can not load games from NOR using an original GBA for some reason unknown to me (The EZ-Flash team mentions this on their website, though). Admitedly, with the fast PSRAM loading, there really isn't a need for NOR storage, back on the older cards this allowed for instant loading of the ROMs. From what I can gather, the PSRAM chip EZ-Flash uses simply has NOR memory on board and they decided to enable it because "why not"? - The hardware is there anyway and even though most people wont use it, there is no real harm in utilizing it.

The biggest advantages the Omega has over the Everdrive IMHO is the size (The omega can even be put into a shell that sits flush with a DS Lite) and the price. I paid less than half the asking price of the EDGBA x5 for my Omega cartridge. For the price of one EDGBA I would have been able to get two EZ-Flash Omega cards and still have money to spare for a 4 pack of eneloop pro rechargable batteries...

In regards to battery life: I did a comparison between a few cartridges: EZ-Flash Omega, EZ-Flash Reform, EZ-Flash IV micro SD, Flash2Advance and an original AGS Aging cartridge.
All flashcards clocked in at about 6 hours of battery runtime on my AGS-101, whereas the original cartridge would run for well above 12 hours. So yes, the Omega is a rather power hungry flashcard with a thirst approximating other flashcards on the market - Due to the lack of an EDGBA x5 I don't have any direct comparisons.

Offline MasterBuller

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 10:19 PM »
No one seems to mention the compatibility issues. Had anyone found any?

Offline Localhorst86

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 10:39 PM »
No one seems to mention the compatibility issues. Had anyone found any?
I haven't had any, so far.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 07:04 PM »
The only real negative, is that the battery used for the RTC is not changeable. So if it goes bad, no way to replace it.

Offline justinwebb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 01:54 PM »
The only real negative, is that the battery used for the RTC is not changeable. So if it goes bad, no way to replace it.
You just solder on a new one, same you would with any old cart with a save battery.  Not rocket science