Author Topic: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming  (Read 308379 times)

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
Re: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming
« Reply #210 on: May 25, 2018, 10:49 PM »
Would it require a complete rewrite of everything in order for NES Final Fantasy to work the same as the cart? If you use the cart then all of the encounters are in the same places all the time no matter who does it. But if you use the ever drive then the encounters are in different places. They are  consistent lie in the same places  with the everdrive  but they are not in the same places  as they should be . How everdrive uses Ram or functions seems to impact Ram addresses utilized by the game for RNG. Presently the only way to learn the speed run of this game and play the world record route is to use an emulator or the powerpak. I would like to see people being able to utilize the everdrive to save State practice and play Speed Run route for Final Fantasy.

Is there a thread where we can report bugs like this? This RAM overwrite issue has been around for a long time with no reply on it.

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #211 on: May 25, 2018, 11:52 PM »
Impressive and massive update, can’t wait to try it! I’ll have to go update the unnofficial compatibility list now though😂 Looking forward to painting whole collumn with « compatible » green in the save state and mmc5 section!

Offline mutterminder

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 26, 2018, 02:23 AM »
I was pretty excited to try this update, but so far it hasn't worked for me.  I've tried it with two different SD cards, both of them work with 1.6, and both of them were first formatted before installing V20-Beta, but in both cases my Hi-Def NES locks up right after the boot.  It shows the menu screen but I can't navigate the menu, and there is no response to button presses.

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #213 on: May 26, 2018, 03:06 AM »
Credits where credits are due! You are amazing, Krikzz!

Thank you so much for this!

Now we need an updated compatibility list from SkinnyV
http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=340.0

Yes, I will definitly update the list as soon it’s out of beta. I just got aware of this new update:)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 03:30 PM by SkinnyV »

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 26, 2018, 08:11 AM »
I noticed that, last I used it, the beta acted weird in PAL mode on AVS. It would show garbage if I started it in PAL mode after using it in NTSC. It works fine if I start the system in PAL, but not when I reset it in PAL mode. I don't remember if I tried it with beta 2, though.

Offline fernan1234

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 26, 2018, 03:58 PM »
Would it require a complete rewrite of everything in order for NES Final Fantasy to work the same as the cart? If you use the cart then all of the encounters are in the same places all the time no matter who does it. But if you use the ever drive then the encounters are in different places. They are  consistent lie in the same places  with the everdrive  but they are not in the same places  as they should be . How everdrive uses Ram or functions seems to impact Ram addresses utilized by the game for RNG. Presently the only way to learn the speed run of this game and play the world record route is to use an emulator or the powerpak. I would like to see people being able to utilize the everdrive to save State practice and play Speed Run route for Final Fantasy.

Is there a thread where we can report bugs like this? This RAM overwrite issue has been around for a long time with no reply on it.

It sounds like as long as the OS menu is loaded before the game, this will always be a problem. Perhaps the solution would be to make it so that reset-to-game wipes the RAM before restarting the game, but maybe there's a reason why Krikzz hasn't implemented this yet.

Offline Theta55

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 27, 2018, 06:42 PM »
 i hope to see beta 3 soon, since it's taking a bit of time i hope we can get disk games working again and the other bugs fixed.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 09:42 PM by Deltax5 »

Offline Eunos

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 28, 2018, 10:14 PM »
Thanks for the update.

I hope that the feature to prevent FDS disk swapping with Select input can be disabled if it cannot be revised. 

The feature badly affects gameplay in Zelda no Densetsu. Every time a dungeon is entered or exited, if select has been pressed, even briefly, more recently than two screen transitions, the A B SIDE ERROR 07 will display. This error is also guaranteed to show when making or deleting file names in the game.

I cannot figure out exactly how the feature is designed to function based on use.
In Zelda1, I think controller inputs are not polled for a brief time during screen transitions.

Playing on unmodified NES frontloader.

Offline FBX

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 30, 2018, 01:46 AM »
I was pretty excited to try this update, but so far it hasn't worked for me.  I've tried it with two different SD cards, both of them work with 1.6, and both of them were first formatted before installing V20-Beta, but in both cases my Hi-Def NES locks up right after the boot.  It shows the menu screen but I can't navigate the menu, and there is no response to button presses.

Not sure if this might be a related issue, but whenever I do OS updates on the N8, I HAVE to strip everything off the SD card and pull the OS folder onto the card FIRST. Otherwise, most game will not boot and simply hang on a black screen. Once the OS folder is on the card, then the ROMs folder can be put on the card next. It's a pain in the ass, but it's the only way I can get the N8 to function properly.

On another note, would Krikzz be interested in adding in a "mute expansion audio" menu feature? Reason I ask is it would make mixing N8 expansion audio a lot easier into the NESRGB board. As it is now, you have to install a toggle switch to drop the expansion audio noise on games that don't use it. Much appreciated if this can be done!

Offline ghostx2916

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 30, 2018, 11:29 AM »
Any plans to add mapper 190 for Magic Kid Googoo?

Offline Quantum

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 30, 2018, 05:34 PM »
Hi, I've been watching this thread for a while. Because of this new firmware, I bought a new Everdrive N8 (coming from the powerpak).

It seems that when this firmware is installed, I get constant filesystem corruption and games will load only about 5% of the time (if I can even get to that point).

Things I've tried:

• 5 different sd cards (all different sizes/brands)
  • 4+ different sd card formatting methods (quick, long, sd foundation, etc)
  • Each format loaded OS to SD first
  • Latest firmware seems to work fine but unsure of stability, only tried for a couple minutes

Do I have a busted everdrive or is the beta firmware just acting up?

PS: I can make a capture of what happens if you want.

Offline xfcrowman

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 30, 2018, 06:38 PM »
I have had the same problems as you - the new beta1 and beta2 firmwares have not worked on any of my SD cards.  For now I recommend sticking with the v16 firmware until a stable v20 is released.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for getting the beta firmware to work?

Hi, I've been watching this thread for a while. Because of this new firmware, I bought a new Everdrive N8 (coming from the powerpak).

It seems that when this firmware is installed, I get constant filesystem corruption and games will load only about 5% of the time (if I can even get to that point).

Things I've tried:

• 5 different sd cards (all different sizes/brands)
  • 4+ different sd card formatting methods (quick, long, sd foundation, etc)
  • Each format loaded OS to SD first
  • Latest firmware seems to work fine but unsure of stability, only tried for a couple minutes

Do I have a busted everdrive or is the beta firmware just acting up?

PS: I can make a capture of what happens if you want.

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 30, 2018, 06:50 PM »
I format with fat32 4kb unit size, it's the most stable for me.
But agree that v20 beta is much less stable than v16.
Everdrive N64 and N8 are generally very sensitive to SD card fragmentation and unit size.
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, N8 Pro, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline xfcrowman

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 30, 2018, 06:54 PM »
I format with fat32 4kb unit size, it's the most stable for me.
But agree that v20 beta is much less stable than v16.
Everdrive N64 and N8 are generally very sensitive to SD card fragmentation and unit size.

Thanks James, I tried a 4kb cluster size on a 8gb 16gb and 32gb card.  I have a frontloader and toploader NES, and the beta fails on both systems with all the SD cards I just listed.

Fortunately krikzz is working on getting a v20 final released, and I'm looking forward to that!

Offline Blitzed78

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 30, 2018, 07:09 PM »
So for the people that have the issues, have you tried deleting edfc directory minus the save?  Put a fresh downloaded firmware there?  Try a fresh downloaded romset from the net?  Not using your old set?  Just throwing ideas out there