Author Topic: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming  (Read 228066 times)

Offline James-F

• View Profile
Re: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming
« Reply #300 on: July 11, 2018, 10:28 AM »
2) Gradius AC (Mapper 4 - MMC3) graphics are now broken. Just start a game and you'll see the powerup bar in the middle of the screen

This would seem to indicate something changed with the MMC3 as well.  KRIKzz did mention minor changes in the MMC3, so I think perhaps it broke some other games.

Works fine here.
Gradius AC 2000 (hack), power bar is in the bottom of the screen where it should be, although is has a flickering line.
edit: flickering line in Retroarch too, so no issue.

Also, Radia Senki (T+Eng) text box doesn't shake here, so MMC3 seems to be fine.

@Sarge, are you sure your mappers (OS) is not fragmented?

BTW, I'm using a AV Famicom.
Make sure you are testing on original hardware, not AVS no SuperNT, ONLY original hardware.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 10:46 AM by James-F »
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, N8 Pro, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Online Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 11, 2018, 08:29 PM »
I'll check, but it shouldn't be.  Full format and re-copy.  This is V20 beta 2, of course.

As mentioned in prior posts, original front-loaded NES, no mods outside of the resistor for audio.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 08:31 PM by Sarge »
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #302 on: July 12, 2018, 06:05 AM »
I tested a bit again. I formated my sd card, transfered all my roms, used Fat sorter like I used to before to alphabetize the rom list at the file system level, transfered the new update and made sure the Everdrive file sorting option and savestate were disabled. I got IO error 62 fest and the few games that I managed to boot in between the error had issue. Mr. Gimmick bar was all garbled graphic at the bottom of the  screen for example. It really seem like there is something off with this beta as I never had as much issues as this before with previous firmware...

Online Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 12, 2018, 06:45 AM »
No fragmentation.  Also put on a new card, although I'm observing some strange behavior.  Sometimes, I can consistently recreate the jitter (get to the first town and sleep in the bed, jitter shows up in that room).  Other times, it seems to soldier on just fine (on a restart).  Could it be something to do with the starting state of the registers?
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 12, 2018, 08:46 AM »
@SkinnyV
Try the (JAP) version of Gimmick, because the (E) Pal version has garbled graphics on an NTSC console.
If Error 61/62/51/52 appears, try to power on/off the console a few times, and/or reset it a few times.

@Sarge

What game and bug (jitter) are you talking about?

Also, the audio level of VRC6 in Akumajou Densetsu is balanced to the AV Famicom, as does VRC7 and Sunsoft 5B.
The original developers of these audio mappers used the AV Famicom to balance the sound, that's why external audio may sound quieter on the original famicom.
I should add that the volume is 'baked' into the mapper by the developers of these mappers (not krikzz), so it is not an easy task for Krikzz to change the volumes without going through the source code of these mappers.

I can confirm that on my AV Famicom all the audio mappers sound perfectly balanced, on my calibrated studio monitors compared to reference recordings of these games.
Can you please share how do you compare volume balance, and what equipment do you listen through?

@KRIKzz
Will you release another beta for people to try and report bugs, or you intend to release the final OS V2.0?
What Famicom hardware are you using when you balance the FDS audio?
Can't wait for the new release!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 10:34 AM by James-F »

Online Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 12, 2018, 07:09 PM »
@James-F:  The aforementioned Radia Senki.  Interesting that I can't really replicate the behavior consistently; sometimes it jitters in that room I mention (and elsewhere), and sometimes it stays perfectly stable.  A reset/reload brought different results each time.

As for the sound, if that's the case, that's probably a good reason for me to swap out that 47K resistor for a potentiometer so I can adjust the volume levels properly.  I don't use equipment to check the sound, but I don't actually need to given how much quieter those channels are on my setup.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 07:10 PM by Sarge »

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 13, 2018, 12:49 AM »
aldocx commented earlier on Gradius AC and it's working for him now.

Thank you, but there's no need for you to look at it, it works now after defragmentation.

Online Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 13, 2018, 01:16 AM »
Interesting.  Doesn't explain what I'm seeing in Radia, though.  Definitely not fragmentation, two different memory cards.  Very scattershot on when it triggers, which suggests it's not too far off.  I still haven't tried OS v16 yet to see if it crops up there; will try to test that this evening.

EDIT:  Tested with OS v16 and couldn't reproduce it.  I did, however, run into issues on reset while using that OS.  I'm guessing there is some mismatch between the settings in each one or something; the FPGA seemed to hang on to the fact that I turned save states off while in OS v16 when I swapped back to OS v20 Beta 2.  I had the same problem when I swapped to OS v20 Beta 2, until the settings got wiped.  Nonetheless, the mappers seemed correct, and I still got the same behavior.

I suspect this will be one of the fixes anyway.  :)  Thanks for all your hard work, KRIKzz!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 04:01 AM by Sarge »

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 13, 2018, 06:46 AM »
It has been quiet from Krikzz's side lately, even though he estimated 3-4 weeks for release which already passed.

I love my N8, and with V20 that added a lot of new mappers, save states to all mappers, and improved FDS, is a HUGE improvement and value to the N8.
Hopefully the final OS V20 will be as stable as v16.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 06:53 AM by James-F »

Online Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 13, 2018, 07:52 PM »
Oh, yeah, overall, there are a ton of great additions to this newest firmware.  Especially the MMC5 stuff!

Offline ghostx2916

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 16, 2018, 05:39 AM »
Sound is great with the FDS games on the OS20 beta 2. I noticed some graphical glitches in a couple of games today while using the 2nd beta that weren't there when I used original carts or the previous official firmware. I am using the everdrive N8 on a Hi-Def NES and have tried all of the different despeckle options and same result.

Contra (U) on the title screen as it slides to the left there are a few horizontal flickering lines on screen and when the 2 characters show up.

Spelunker 2 (J) - When moving right on the first stage above the trees in the blue sky flickering lines

Splatterhouse Wanpaku Graffiti  (J) - flickering spots on title screen and flickering white dots on mountains in the background level 1. Level 2 the wood panel background on the right of the screen is messed up and goes away after entering the door.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 05:41 AM by ghostx2916 »

Offline Arnold101

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 17, 2018, 07:01 AM »
i buyed the cart when it have the boost exp sound mode, now it is removed....so i want it back. For famicom users is obbligatory to have because not all exp mappers have the boost "mod" like castlevania3 mapper
The external audio setting is on HI permanently now, it is the louder setting between the two.
I don't understand why you still insist on having the LO setting back.
I don't know why I bother replying to your posts... I guess I still have hope for you.  :)
Like i said before, i have updated from v14 i think that still have the hi low option and all exp games lagrange included sounded at acceptable volume, still low but playable at least, after updating to v20 i noticed that this game and other exp games sound way too low now. So it's impossible that is on HI i think is on LO, or now i will hear them like in v14 wich is not  :) you may not notice it because you play on an av famicom, but on the original famicom is very very low...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 03:52 PM by Arnold101 »

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 17, 2018, 09:20 AM »
So it's impossible that is on HI i think is on LO, or now i will hear them like in v14 wich is not  :)

What you think is wrong, what you ignore over and over is right.

Here is the official change log from KRIKzz for you to ignore once again:
nesos-v14 28.10.2016
1)Fixed MMC4 (glitches in Fire Emblem)
2)New mappers support. 31, 137, 138, 139, 141, 147, 168
3)Removed "audio mix vol" option. Now it always in "Hi" state
4)Removed "Mapper info" menu due the lack of memory space
5)Minor bugfix

And here is me saying the very same thing AGAIN just for you to ignore:
The new audio mappers in v20 were created by other people (not KRIKzz) to sound correct on their AV Famicom.
The original famicom was very loud internally and was clipping the waveform even before it reached the TV or the external audio cartridge,
that's why the developers of these audio mappers chose to use AV Famicom as reference, since it has much better and cleaner audio topology than the original.

Now why are you so vocal about it Arnold101??
It's only three games, but you make it as though it is a life or death situation.
Cut your whining and move on.

Offline Arnold101

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 17, 2018, 03:52 PM »
"whining?" i decide what it's important to ME not you, ok?? And i don't care what krikkz say, i trust my ear. After lo hi removing the sound is all way down. Stop your whining now

AND AGAIN: YOU NOT HAVE ORIGINAL FAMICOM SO YOU CANNOT TALK ABOUT SOMETHING YOU NOT OWN

also you clearly don't know nothing about sound on famicom, the best sound is on the original famicom early revisions, not av famicom.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 03:58 PM by Arnold101 »

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 17, 2018, 04:31 PM »
"whining?" i decide what it's important to ME not you, ok?? And i don't care what krikkz say, i trust my ear. After lo hi removing the sound is all way down. Stop your whining now

AND AGAIN: YOU NOT HAVE ORIGINAL FAMICOM SO YOU CANNOT TALK ABOUT SOMETHING YOU NOT OWN

also you clearly don't know nothing about sound on famicom, the best sound is on the original famicom early revisions, not av famicom.

I just want to quote it before you delete it so it shines like a trophy and reflects the quality of your intelligence.
This will be the last time I reply to your insolence.