Author Topic: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming  (Read 317564 times)

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming
« Reply #495 on: August 23, 2018, 05:12 AM »
Thanks Krikkz, everything looking and sounding great. Will the mapper issue be a quick fix?

Already loaded rc3 with repaired mmc1

Offline Retrothunder

• View Profile
« Reply #496 on: August 23, 2018, 05:21 AM »
Thanks a lot krikzz

Offline Jdurg

• View Profile
« Reply #497 on: August 23, 2018, 07:47 AM »
Wow.  I was fine with select for the delayed FDS Disk Swap, but wow is A so much easier and comfortable to use!  I press A to select the game anyway, so just holding onto it a little longer is super simple.

This is great.  All this activity lately with the flashcarts that keep making them better and better.

Offline Blitzed78

• View Profile
« Reply #498 on: August 23, 2018, 08:03 AM »
Thanks krikzz for the great update!

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #499 on: August 23, 2018, 09:27 AM »
Slight regression of FDS audio in RC3 compared to RC1, this one is very noticeable.

In Metroid, after you take the orb on the left when you start the game, the "dropping into a ball" sound by pressing down button is completely random, it should sound the same every time.
In RC1 the "dropping into a ball" sound was lower in pitch than Nestopia but consistent.
Also when opening doors, the sound changes pitch randomly, was consistent in RC1.

So it seems that what fixed Zelda and Bio Miracle, broke Metroid.
Not that Metroid sounded accurate in RC1, but at least it wasn't random pitch.

@KRIKzz
If you still have the strength and time to fix this FDS audio issue, please take reference from Nestopia.
As for the audio balance steps, I don't think there is enough steps above 160% because people report it still being quiet (even though it clips).
By adding all steps from 200% to 40% you will solve the accuracy for AV Famicom at around 50% and loudness for original Famicoms.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 10:20 AM by James-F »
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, N8 Pro, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline Koh1Fds

• View Profile
« Reply #500 on: August 23, 2018, 04:05 PM »
I tried nesos-v20-rc3 and white-dashes issue still presented on my Pal Famiclone. Is there any hope for it to be fixed? ;C That's pretty sad damn sad ;C

Basically, i have AV Famicom with replaced CPU and PPU with Chinese ones. Circuit board looks like this: https://i.imgur.com/qSQQMOx.jpg Yep, i know that this is not original hardware and not even real chinese console bla bla bla whatever. It doesn't matter if it was build by Taiwanese bootlegers or by me. So basically as i understand there was some white-dashes fix in os v16 for original NES/FC. It was discussed here http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=5295.0
So... Everdrive works on that console perfectly fine except if i use os v16. If i use os v16 then there are those stupid white dashes almost everywhere. It wasn't actually a big deal. I was using os v15 perfectly fine. There wasn't that much of the difference between os v15 and os v16 so whatever. But now os v20 have too much cool stuff to ignore it. And, obviously, os20 have exactly the same problem

Here is video recorded with nesos-v20-rc3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBXH6ujOW4Y

Is there any hope that you could try to fix it? Every other cartrtidge works on that Famiclone fine: OG Famicom carts, OG Nes Carts, Some Pirate Carts, everdrive with any os except 16 and 20. Or can you make like some switch in menu. Something like "os 15 Behaviour" or something ;C

Please, do something. I really want to use Everdrive with os 20 on my famiclone ;C  I don't know if it depends on starting ppu state or something, but sometime those dashes covers whole background. It's impossible to play with them.

I actually have a bunch of those CPUs and PPUs https://i.imgur.com/vGwfZBj.jpg And switching them around doesn't help ;C
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 04:12 PM by Koh1Fds »

Offline Odin Belmont

• View Profile
« Reply #501 on: August 23, 2018, 04:12 PM »
Was just about to put on rc1. Will try the new one.  Awesome KRIKzz

Offline fernan1234

• View Profile
« Reply #502 on: August 23, 2018, 04:40 PM »
@KRIKzz
As for the audio balance steps, I don't think there is enough steps above 160% because people report it still being quiet (even though it clips).
By adding all steps from 200% to 40% you will solve the accuracy for AV Famicom at around 50% and loudness for original Famicoms.

This would be really great if you could do it Krikzz, but thanks for all your work anyway, you're a legend.

Offline linked

• View Profile
« Reply #503 on: August 23, 2018, 07:19 PM »
@Koh1Fds are you sure that it's a problem with your console, not ED?
Look at my situation.
- I have HQ famiclone from early 90s (NTSC with forced PAL, so it's 50Hz) and Famicom AV
- I have new ED N8 and older one borrowed from my friend

What's happening?
- New ED N8 works stable ONLY with v16, anything above (v20b1,2b,rc1,2,3) is unstable as hell (freezes after few seconds, graphical glitches etc no matter which game). It happens on Famiclone and Famicom AV
- Older ED N8 from my friend works as it should no matter which FW version and console.

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #504 on: August 23, 2018, 07:25 PM »
Mapper 99 is still broken. I did upload Vs. Excitebike some time ago. The patch is available here.

I had the white dashes issue with v16 and earlier firmware using the AVS, but they no longer show up with the beta and RC firmware.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 07:32 PM by brianvgplayer »

Offline Koh1Fds

• View Profile
« Reply #505 on: August 23, 2018, 07:40 PM »
@Koh1Fds are you sure that it's a problem with your console, not ED?
White-dashes issue on original FC/NES was fixed in os16. Os16 and os20 are THE ONLY! oses that shows those graphical artifacts on my Famiclone. I'm pretty sure that fix fixed white-dashes issue on OG consoles, but introduced it to some famiclones (ofc, i don't have 1 billion different famiclones to test it out). Do you have any other explanation why any other oses except os16 (where those lines was fixed) works perfectly fine? I don't have any other problems with that famiclone or everdrive. No freezes, no crashes etc. Only problem is that os16 and os20 shows those stupid annoying dashes. Also, my everdrive works perfectly with any OS on my OG untouched AV Famicom. It couldn't be a coincidence that os (where those artifacts was fixed for OG consoles) are the only os that produces those artifacts on Famiclone.

edit:
"nesos-v16 04.07.2017
1) white artifacts fix"

I'm 100% sure it isn't my particular everdrive problem, or my console problem (ok it's sort of problem of my console LUL), but rather that "white artifacts fix" what causes it.

edit2:  maybe, it's possible to make 2 variants of OS20. One with "white artifacts fix" and another without "white artifacts fix". That would be perfect.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 08:07 PM by Koh1Fds »

Offline GadgetUK

• View Profile
« Reply #506 on: August 23, 2018, 08:33 PM »
Great job Krikkz!  Sweet update - really pleased you continue to support your products!  This is precisely why people should avoid buying clones.

Offline Koh1Fds

• View Profile
« Reply #507 on: August 23, 2018, 08:42 PM »
Also, seems like save / load still doesn't work with second controller. It's extremely inconvenient for some games  :'( For example, in Battletoads you can play as yellow toad if you use second controller. Actually, yellow toad in Battletoads speedrun have lot of differences. And practicing speedruns with 2 controllers (one for controls and other for save / load) are extremely, unthinkable annoying LUL

edit: also, there was a bug in previous OS - if you use Arkanoid 2 controller connected to AV Famicom's expansion port then gamepads connected to the front AV Famicom's ports doesn't work in everdrive's menu. So you can't even start a game when Arkanoid 2 controller are connected to the system. So you have to start the game and only then connect Arkanoid's controller to the system on the fly. People said it isn't safe to do that on AV Famicom. Os20's changelog says nothing about so it still should be presented. I can't test it right now :C
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 08:57 PM by Koh1Fds »

Offline djsquare

• View Profile
« Reply #508 on: August 24, 2018, 01:27 AM »
Still get ERROR:62 and ERROR:63 Disk IO error

I've used 3 different SD cards and get the same results. I'm convinced my N8 hates me . I purchased mine from from krikzz.com around 2014. Version 16 always works perfectly with no problems. I'm using a US toploader with Tim's RGB board installed. Is it possible that some us have bad N8 boards? I know mine is legit because like I said I bought it here.

FAT32 with 32kb cluster using both windows and guiformat-x64 on separate occasions

Device info:
Bios ver:5
Cpld ver:2
adate:20.03.14
atime:11:45

Thanks for all the hard work anyway Krikzz

Offline my2k2zx2

• View Profile
« Reply #509 on: August 24, 2018, 01:52 AM »
The info for my famicom n8 that is giving nothing but "os init" on any of the v20 downloads is:

Bios ver:5
Cpld ver:1
adate:14.10.13
atime:17:47

I'm using a US frontloader, no mods, with a 60-72 converter from gyromite.