Author Topic: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming  (Read 286378 times)

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
Re: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2018, 04:01 AM »
Hmm, those do sound pretty similar, maybe the change you made will do the trick!  Thanks, KRIKzz!
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline Jegriva

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2018, 04:24 AM »
Hi Krikkz, amazing job, fully deserving of Windows 9 - style version number skipping!

Just a question: did you implemented the unofficial VRC6 mapper, or do I have to do it manually?

Offline Asaki

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2018, 05:42 AM »
Awesome, I was just wondering if there was any new Everdrive news, and I arrived just in time!

I guess I know what I'm doing tonight. I'll check some games out.

Offline iwasaperson

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2018, 06:08 AM »
I just make record from real fds and everdrive. Try it in headphones. Right channel outputs from everdrive and left from real fds: http://krikzz.com/pub/support/var/fds-sound-cmp.zip
Only FDS audio channel  on record to make it clear.
I make little fix in fds core right after beta1 release, so may be it fixed all. Will release it with beta2 soon
Listen to your Zelda recording. It is very clear that the notes go off pitch later in the song (from 0:29 to 0:47 in your recording), and the notes at the beginning don't seem to sustain for as long as the real hardware. There is also one note in Metroid (the second to last in your recording) that is off. And the Ai Senshi Nicol recording still sounds off in some parts (listen from 0:06 to 0:18).

Is this recording before or after the fix?

I also found Zelda 2's intro to be a great test for this.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 06:16 AM by iwasaperson »
@Syboxez on Discord and some other places as well.

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2018, 06:40 AM »
@Krikzz

FDS audio on the N8 is lower in pitch by almost a semitone which is clearly audible.
Usually the game plays FDS and Internal audio together, that means it will sound like an out of tune band which is not good.

Any response about the many ERROR:62 Disk IO errors with this beta version?

What about VRC6, is it still the old one from v16?
Slamy's VRC6 is much more accurate than what is in v16, did you include it v20?

MMC5 audio is worse with v20 than it was in v16, can you address that?

Thank you for your hard work!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 06:49 AM by James-F »
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, N8 Pro, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline CLChambers00

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2018, 07:41 AM »
A previous person said that Akumajou Densetsu rom stopped working for them, and for me Castlevania 3 US rom stopped working? Are there hardware differences with the Everdrive because I thought it was all the same and that all future OS updates would work the same with all of them????? Do I need to buy the most updated version of the Everdrive? I was soooo excited to see that we can do save states for CV3 now and then the rom just doesn't work now lol.

Also wanted to update that with this new OS version we can now play StarTropics and use save states. Awesome fix!

I also wanted to mention that I can no longer play Cybernoid now either.

Offline aldocx

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2018, 09:09 AM »
Pease, if you reporting some bug, don't forget to describe:
1. cart version (fami or nes) and cpld ver
2. console version
3. any console mods, if they installed

1. Famicom N8 CPLD ver 2
2. Original Famicom, FamicomFamily version (1990)
3. Composite-out mod

1) Frequent Disk IO Errors, usually after a file is written to the SD on a freshly formatted SD card.
2) Gradius AC (Mapper 4 - MMC3) graphics are now broken. Just start a game and you'll see the powerup bar in the middle of the screen
3) MMC5 expansion audio doesn't work. Worked on v16.
4) VRC6 audio is worse than Slamy's VRC6 fix
5) Sunsoft 5B expansion audio almost inaudible.
6) As noted by others, FDS Expansion Audio is off compared to a genuine FDS on the same system.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 09:10 AM by aldocx »

Offline Asaki

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2018, 11:27 AM »
Updated my old compatability list to reflect the new OS:

NTSC NES, BTW. Tested on model 2 top loader, and an expansion audio modified front loader.
EDN8 is the NES version, CPLD 2, BIOS 5

Final Fantasy III - the translation by ad0220 doesn't work (mapper 4), says "ERROR A5", but I was told that the EDN8 doesn't support ROMs that large anyway: http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1590/
UPDATE: The "Refurbished" translation (MMC5) gives the same error, probably for the same reason.

Dragon Ball/Dragon Power - English translation doesn't work, but I'm not surprised since it doesn't really work in emulators either. Terrible (U) game works fine, (J) works fine, (F) works but with PAL speedup: http://www.romhacking.net/translations/131/

Elite - both PAL and NTSC versions are graphically glitchy, mapper 1.

Hard Drivin' (prototype, mapper 1) - I remember this one being glitchy like Elite. Maybe my memory is just bad, but now all I get is gray screen. Bad header, maybe?

Fantastic Adventures of Dizzy (Mapper 71) - graphical glitches, plus the non-Aladdin version crashes right away
UPDATE: Both ROMs work now!! Hooray!

Juvei Quest (19+SS) - (J) works fine, but the English patch just loads gray screen. Patching the [A1] ROM seems to work okay, although Beat will complain that the patch failed: http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1826/
UPDATE: Seems to be working now?

Mighty Bomb Jack (J) (Mapper 185) - Gray screen. There are mapper hacks that seem to work okay though, and the (U) version works (different mapper).
UPDATE: The (REV A) ROM works fine, also.

Death Race (Unl) (Mapper 11) - gray screen

Time Diver Avenger (Unl) (Mapper 250) - Glitches and won't run. The (U) proto titled Time Diver Eon Man seems to work okay though.
UPDATE: Both work now.

Famicom Jump II (Mapper 16) - gray screen

Updates:
ROM City Rampage (mapper 5) - loads okay, but once you begin the game, only the sprites load, and not the background.

I think these games may have had issues in the previous update, but are working now:
Cycle Race - Road Man (J), Dash Yarou (J) / Rally Bike (U), Doraemon (J)

Offline Odin Belmont

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2018, 03:18 PM »
Awesome.  Good to see you dealing with some of the everdrive issues.  Can't wait for full release.  Thank you KRIKzz

Offline llioncourt

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2018, 04:19 PM »
THANK YOU!
Koei games are woking like a charm! I`ve played 6hs non stop of Gemfire yesterday.

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2018, 05:23 PM »
Elite - both PAL and NTSC versions are graphically glitchy, mapper 1.

This game only works correctly in PAL. The "NTSC" version is a poor hack for emulators and still doesn't display correctly in NTSC. I haven't tested on the new OS, but last I played it via the Everdrive N8 FC on the AVS on a TV that supports PAL, it worked correctly in PAL mode.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 05:27 PM by brianvgplayer »

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2018, 08:25 PM »
@Krikzz

FDS audio on the N8 is lower in pitch by almost a semitone which is clearly audible.
Usually the game plays FDS and Internal audio together, that means it will sound like an out of tune band which is not good.
Yeah, I think that might be why I'm having a slightly harder time picking up on the difference in the recording when it's by itself as opposed to being played with the 2A03 channels.  It's getting closer, but not quite there yet.  Amazing how just a small shift makes things sound much worse than alone.

KRIKzz, thanks for all your hard work on this.  :)
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline keeper7

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2018, 11:34 PM »
Can't get OS v20 to work.
Only green screen, ERROR:62 Disk IO error, ERROR:63 Disk IO error.
I re-installed OS 16 and everything works flawlessly.

- Famicom EDN8
♦ Bios 5
♦ CPLD 2
♦ Assembly 29/3/17

- AV Famicom (No Mods)
- SD FAT32 32K

Offline Aether Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2018, 03:00 AM »
So overall how is this new build? Is it worth updating right now or are there too many bugs still present? It seems with opening up to so many new mappers, it has broken quite a few games and some still exhibit glitches. Would be nice to get mappers running 100% before moving onto additional mappers.

Offline Asaki

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2018, 04:30 AM »
This game only works correctly in PAL. The "NTSC" version is a poor hack for emulators and still doesn't display correctly in NTSC.

That's kind of what I figured, since both ROMs look about the same.

So overall how is this new build? Is it worth updating right now or are there too many bugs still present?

What I did was I went into the EDN8 folder on my SD card, threw everything except "SAVES" into a "BACKUP" folder, and dropped in the new files. I haven't had any issues yet, but reverting back is fairly simple.