Author Topic: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming  (Read 307677 times)

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
Re: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2018, 06:24 AM »
I don't have a FDS to compare, but Vs. Excitebike definitely sounded off key compared to the version of it I have for the Wii U VC.

While some things broke in the update, many things were also fixed and the artifacts during gameplay on AVS are gone. At least with Mapper 99 (which worked before, but now has corrupted graphics on Vs. Excitebike and Vs. Stroke and Match Golf), only a few games support it and there are other games like the FDS Vs. Excitebike and Golf that are similar, as well as other Vs. hacks that don't use it. I'm guessing full support of Vs. System games is too much of a hassle?

Is there a way to re-implement Slamy's Akumajou Densetsu mapper? It seems mapper 24 is now under another mapper and Slamy's mapper isn't detected if I just put a 024.RBF file in the mapper directory.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 06:41 AM by brianvgplayer »

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2018, 07:22 AM »
Is there a way to re-implement Slamy's Akumajou Densetsu mapper? It seems mapper 24 is now under another mapper and Slamy's mapper isn't detected if I just put a 024.RBF file in the mapper directory.
+1
It will be very wise to separate the external audio mappers so people can improve their sound and volume balance.
VRC6 - 024
VRC7 - 085
Sunsoft 5B - 069

I am more worried about the Disk IO errors people reporting, Krikzz hasn't said anything about them in his previous replies.
He said "Work over new release almost complete", which it doesn't seem so.
Let's hope he addresses all the issues posted here before the final v20 release.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 07:27 AM by James-F »
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, N8 Pro, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline SmokeMonster

• Puzzle Bobbler
  • tsst tchh chh ch ch ch
    • View Profile
    • SmokeMonster YouTube Channel
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2018, 09:23 AM »
Also Nintendo World Championships loads but does nothing once it is loaded.
You might just have a bad ROM source. GAME1213 tested both the regular No-Intro ROM of Nintendo World Championships 1990, and the Start Hack version and they both work. In the regular ROM, you have to use Player 2's Start button to enter the game.

Offline phoenixdownita

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2018, 09:32 AM »
Wrt custom mappers I believe one can always edit maprout.bin and point whatever mapper you want to whatever file you want.
Dropping the RBF in the directory only worked becasde the maprout.bin at position 24  (Hex 18) stated 24  (Hex 18) now in v20 it points to 21 [Hex 15].
So you should be able to edit maprout.bin with say HxD and change byte at Hex location 18 from Hex value 15 to Hex value 18 and it should start picking up your custom mapper24 .... so told it is possible that krikzz changed enough of the OS/FW that old mappers have to be rebuilt anyway but it is worth a try. Let us know if it works btw.

EDIT: the maprout.bin file changed a lot in v20, I guess features have been moved around and actual rbf files consolidated more than one would expect.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 09:35 AM by phoenixdownita »

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2018, 10:05 AM »
Thanks for the info on the mappers.

The AC Gradius hack works for me, but I used a hack I found on a JP website on it, so it's probably not the exact same one. There also a newer version made for MMC5. I think it's from the same author as the other hack.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 10:09 AM by brianvgplayer »

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2018, 02:32 PM »
Listen to your Zelda recording. It is very clear that the notes go off pitch later in the song (from 0:29 to 0:47 in your recording), and the notes at the beginning don't seem to sustain for as long as the real hardware.

1. This conclusion after comparing left channel with right? Just not sure that you realize that on my record plays real fds and everdrive at same time (: I can't hear any differences between left and right channels, except little white noise from real fds channel

2. As for Slamy's mapper, i will integrate it in official release if i will have sources. Old rbf file can be used if maprout.bin will be edited like phoenixdownita described.

3. MMC5 sound will be returned

4. long reset (to return in menu with enabled "reset to game") also will be fixed

5. I looking IO error source

6. if some mappers stopped working, it almost for sure mapper file fragmentation problems. US Castlevania, Esper Dream and some other mentioned games working fine. Same thing about carts which not boots at all

7. What is the "Gradius AC" it is some hack? I can't find such game in my library

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2018, 03:05 PM »
Quote from: KRIKzz

(: I can't hear any differences between left and right channels, except little white noise from real fds channel

First, thank you for addressing many issues.

Second, congratulations krikzz, you have a tin ear... that means you have absolutely no musical hearing.
Please use a frequency analyzer plugin with a DAW to measure the frequency.
One thing is for sure, if you leave fds audio like that many people will be unable to listen to fds games.

Also comparing left and right channels is the worst way to compare pitch.
Try to play one short tone after the other in the center.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 03:23 PM by James-F »
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, N8 Pro, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline aldocx

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2018, 03:13 PM »
Listen to your Zelda recording. It is very clear that the notes go off pitch later in the song (from 0:29 to 0:47 in your recording), and the notes at the beginning don't seem to sustain for as long as the real hardware.

1. This conclusion after comparing left channel with right? Just not sure that you realize that on my record plays real fds and everdrive at same time (: I can't hear any differences between left and right channels, except little white noise from real fds channel

2. As for Slamy's mapper, i will integrate it in official release if i will have sources. Old rbf file can be used if maprout.bin will be edited like phoenixdownita described.

7. What is the "Gradius AC" it is some hack? I can't find such game in my library
Thank you!

1. It's hard to say if you listen to both channels at once, but there is definetely a difference. I have no musical training but the N8 emulation sounds really unpleasant, there's something wrong at the end of the notes.

2. Slamy is thankfully willing to provide source!

7. Gradius AC is an unlicensed cart/hack. After a defragmentation on my SD card, it works without any problems.

I'd also like to bring this little problem to your attention:
http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=6785.msg58189;boardseen#new

And this regarding Death Race (it's a very rare, expensive game and it would be another great reason to own an N8):
https://web.archive.org/web/20040824162214/http://tripoint.org:80/kevtris/mappers/cdreams/agci.html
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 03:20 PM by aldocx »

Offline PalAndreew

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2018, 03:23 PM »
"6. if some mappers stopped working, it almost for sure mapper file fragmentation problems. US Castlevania, Esper Dream and some other mentioned games working fine. Same thing about carts which not boots at all"

>from Krikzz.

after correct formatting and loading the OS:
began to work well and stable 24 MAPPER.
thank you so much!

we are waiting for the finished update.:)

Offline Slamy

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2018, 03:29 PM »
I've sent a PM to Krikzz with a package of the source code.
I hope it can be integrated well and no one ever has to fiddle around with custom files anymore.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2018, 04:00 PM »
Quote from: KRIKzz

(: I can't hear any differences between left and right channels, except little white noise from real fds channel

First, thank you for addressing many issues.

Second, congratulations krikzz, you have a tin ear... that means you have absolutely no musical hearing.
Please use a frequency analyzer plugin with a DAW to measure the frequency.
One thing is for sure, if you leave fds audio like that many people will be unable to listen to fds games.

Also comparing left and right channels is the worst way to compare pitch.
Try to play one short tone after the other in the center.

Right, now when i switching quickly between channels instead of listen them in same time i hear some differences.
You probably right about lack of musical hearing, this is why N8 expansion  audio usually far from perfect. Also, any kind of audio implementation tasks is damn boring for me, and i working over them without any pleasure. sorry for that (:

7. Gradius AC is an unlicensed cart/hack. After a defragmentation on my SD card, it works without any problems.

I'd also like to bring this little problem to your attention:
http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=6785.msg58189;boardseen#new

And this regarding Death Race (it's a very rare, expensive game and it would be another great reason to own an N8):
https://web.archive.org/web/20040824162214/http://tripoint.org:80/kevtris/mappers/cdreams/agci.html

Ok, i will check those games. May be you can provide ready to use "Gradius AC" rom? After quick search i found only patches

I've sent a PM to Krikzz with a package of the source code.
I hope it can be integrated well and no one ever has to fiddle around with custom files anymore.

Thanks a lot, Slamy!

Offline Blitzed78

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2018, 04:11 PM »
I hope you reconsider adding the manual changing sides of the fds while your still working on this bios update.  Thanks for the great update krikzz!

Offline keeper7

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2018, 05:39 PM »
Updating my last post...
(I believe I'm not doing it the wrong way) Never had any problems before.???

ATTEMPT 1 (FAT32 32k)
- Full format my SD Card: FAT32 32k
- Copy all roms
- Defrag
- Copy OSv20
- When I try to navigate the folders I get Disk IO error.
- Defrag again
- Still getting Disk IO error.

Then

- Deleted OSv20 Folder
- Copy OSv15
- Works great (Tested with 2 games)
- Deleted OSv15 Folder
- Copy OSv16
- Works great (Tested with Contra)

ATTEMPT 2 (FAT32 4096)
- Full format my SD Card: FAT32 (4096)
- Copy all roms
- Defrag
- Copy OSv20
- When I try to navigate the folders I get Disk IO error.
- Defrag again
- Disk IO error.
- Deleted OSv20 Folder
- Copy OSv16
- Works great (Tested with Metroid, SBM 3)

- Famicom EDN8
♦ Bios 5
♦ CPLD 2
♦ Assembly 29/3/17
- AV Famicom HVC-101 (No Mods) Original PSU

« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 05:45 PM by keeper7 »

Offline aldocx

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2018, 05:55 PM »
Ok, i will check those games. May be you can provide ready to use "Gradius AC" rom? After quick search i found only patches
Thank you, but there's no need for you to look at it, it works now after defragmentation.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2018, 06:44 PM »
Updating my last post...
(I believe I'm not doing it the wrong way) Never had any problems before.???
Yep, such problems is not related to fragmentation.  I meant green/blue screens at boot or not working mappers, but io errors not that case
By the way, if you formated sd card and copy new files,  you not need to perform defrag. Defrag can be useful only if some files were removed and then new files were copied.
To make it clear i will try to enplane why fragmentation happens. Disk organization based on clusters, this is minimum working cell, usually it varies between 4-32KB, depending on formatting options. This is why even smallest text files gets more space then they really are.
If you copy files on clear disk, all data will be written linear, and there is no fragmentation, but if you remove some files, and then copy new files, they can be fragmented.
Example: you removed file A with 2 cluster size and then copied file X with 4 cluster size

disk before file "A" removing:
cluster 0: file A cluster (0)
cluster 1: file A cluster (1)
cluster 2: file B cluster (0)
cluster 3: file B cluster (1)
cluster 4: free space
cluster 5: free space

cluster 0: file X cluster (0)
cluster 1: file X cluster (1)
cluster 2: file B cluster (0)
cluster 3: file B cluster (1)
cluster 4: file X cluster (2)
cluster 5: file X cluster (3)

File "X" now split on two parts and it cannot be readed linear. As we can see, fragmentation never happens if any files did never been removed. N8 OS supports fragmentation for ROM files, but not supports for mapper files fragmentation due the technical specifics.

For test purposes would best to rename old os folders instead of removing 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 06:57 PM by KRIKzz »