Author Topic: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming  (Read 215605 times)

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming
« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2018, 07:43 PM »
IO error happens after game loading, or they can appears after cold boot, prior tan any games were loaded ?
If errors happens even after cold boot, then i need to know if something changes if 255.RBF will be replaced by file from OS v16

Also i would like to know size of used SD cards
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 08:09 PM by KRIKzz »

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2018, 08:46 PM »
The Disk Error in v20 happens after cold boot or after playing FDS game and reset, but not always.
It happens mostly after changing something on the SD on the computer then powering the NES.
But, the second power cycle, and there is no Disk Error, so,,, first cold boot after file changes.
I think v20 is more stable with old 255.RBF from v16, I have no errors with old 255.RBF.

Krikzz, please keep VRC6 on 024.RBF so it can be updated or replaced without touching MAPROUT.BIN.
Like you kept 069 and 085 separate.

Also, do you have an idea how are you going to fix FDS audio pitch issue?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 09:19 PM by James-F »
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, N8 Pro, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline ioev

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2018, 08:46 PM »
I think I'm having the same issue, booting to a blue/green screen on v20.  Everdrive N8 Famicom, used on a nes slotloader with an adapter.  v16 works perfectly fine.  SD card is 4gb.

To install, I tried just copying the new os onto the card and overwriting old files.  Then I realized the new version has less mapper files than the v16, so I deleted the old os (not the saves folder) and copied over v20, but still get a blue/green screen on boot.

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2018, 08:58 PM »
I think I'm having the same issue, booting to a blue/green screen on v20.  Everdrive N8 Famicom, used on a nes slotloader with an adapter.  v16 works perfectly fine.  SD card is 4gb.

To install, I tried just copying the new os onto the card and overwriting old files.  Then I realized the new version has less mapper files than the v16, so I deleted the old os (not the saves folder) and copied over v20, but still get a blue/green screen on boot.
Maybe fragmentation?  I ended up moving all my files over to my PC, making sure the card was clear (you can format, but I didn't), and then copying the new EDFC folder over, then my saves, then all my ROMs again.  Excessive, probably, but it worked.  When I just renamed my old EDFC folder over and copied the new one in, it sort of worked, but had issues with all the MMC5 games.

I've got an N8 without an adapter, though, so I don't know if that makes any difference.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline Slamy

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2018, 09:56 PM »
Krikzz, please keep VRC6 on 024.RBF so it can be updated or replaced without touching MAPROUT.BIN.

I have an even better idea. The audio setting HI and LO was removed. Why?
Why not making it even more sophisticated?
If there are so many versions of the platform why not implementing a selection menu to cycle through all possible NES variants.
The FPGA core could be either selected according to this configuration or a signal could be routed so the core can act on this configuration.
This would make the file switching obsolete.

Offline keeper7

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 14, 2018, 10:12 PM »

IO error happens after game loading, or they can appears after cold boot, prior tan any games were loaded ?
If errors happens even after cold boot, then i need to know if something changes if 255.RBF will be replaced by file from OS v16

IO error happens when I try to move the cursor from folder to folder or left/right to change pages.
If I don't move the cursor and select the first folder, all the files has random ASCII characters.
Replacing 255.RBF (OSv20) for the one used by OSv16 makes the IO error disappear and everything is back to normal.

My SD has 4gb.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 12:54 AM by keeper7 »

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 14, 2018, 10:12 PM »
@Slamy

Yes but that also means all mappers have to have exactly the same volume output as the original cartridge, AND they should be balanced between themselves.
Currently the N8 mappers for Sunsoft 5B is very quiet and VRC6 is way too loud, for the the AV Famicom, so there is no balance between the external audio mappers on the N8.

The nice solution would be to balance Sunsoft 5B, VRC6, VRC7, FDS between themselves comparing with real cartridges and original famicom.
Then add a volume switch to the N8 that will match for the Original Famicom and AV Famicom.

That's a lot of work, but the results will be perfect.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 10:20 PM by James-F »
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, N8 Pro, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 14, 2018, 10:24 PM »
The nice solution would be to balance Sunsoft 5B, VRC6, VRC7, FDS between themselves comparing with real cartridges and original famicom.
Then add a volume switch to the N8 that will match for the Original Famicom and AV Famicom.

Don't forget the Namco chip, which last I checked, still has static in the background at times, which doesn't happen on real carts like Rolling Thunder.

Krikzz, what about mapper 99? I deleted EDFC and copied it back and I'm still getting graphical corruption on games. I know it's a minor mapper, but it did work before.

edit: I haven't checked the Namco sound for awhile. I didn't notice static this time. The sound does seem to be a slight bit higher pitched than the real cart, but I'm not completely sure. It doesn't sound bad, though.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 10:39 PM by brianvgplayer »

Offline aldocx

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2018, 10:36 PM »

Errors happen even after cold boot. Can't try replacing 244.RBF until tomorrow. SD Card size is 16GB

Why not making it even more sophisticated?
If there are so many versions of the platform why not implementing a selection menu to cycle through all possible NES variants.
The FPGA core could be either selected according to this configuration or a signal could be routed so the core can act on this configuration.
This would make the file switching obsolete.

Yes please. This feature is vital for Famicom users. You wouldn't even have to implement new cores, the different volume levels posted on the forum by Slamy and Necronomfive are perfect already.

Offline Jegriva

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 14, 2018, 10:48 PM »
@Slamy

Yes but that also means all mappers have to have exactly the same volume output as the original cartridge, AND they should be balanced between themselves.
Currently the N8 mappers for Sunsoft 5B is very quiet and VRC6 is way too loud, for the the AV Famicom, so there is no balance between the external audio mappers on the N8.

That's a lot of work, but the results will be perfect.

Well, the patch comes with almost 20 different volume levels, so it is just a matter of choosing the right one. The consensus is that for the Av Famicom the 30-35 was the right one, for example. (I think).

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2018, 10:49 PM »
Also, do you have an idea how are you going to fix FDS audio pitch issue?

Not sure if i will fix it at all, i almost give up.

I removed some functions when i reach the code size limits available from OS. I have around 80 bytes of free space at the moment. To expand code size limits i need to rewrite OS from scratch and make new OS mapper.

Offline Cartina

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 14, 2018, 10:56 PM »
If the Reset to Game option is On, I can't seem to return to the menu no matter how long I hold down the reset button.

This is pretty annoying, but hopefully an easy fix.

• Everdrive N8 NES
• Cpld ver: 2
• Bios ver:5

NES console, RGB mod.

Offline KLM1187

• View Profile
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #87 on: May 14, 2018, 11:56 PM »
so when i am trying to use the new updated OS for everdrive i only get a blue screen. anyone else have this issue?

i cant even get into the menu. usually i get green screen, blue screen, then it loads the menu. with the new one i dont get past blue screen

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2018, 04:30 AM »
Maybe someone could help out with the FDS portion?  I'm guessing there might be a few folks willing to help tweak things so they sound right.  (I wish I could, but I don't have enough FPGA experience to contribute effectively.)
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline ioev

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2018, 05:15 AM »

Maybe fragmentation?  I ended up moving all my files over to my PC, making sure the card was clear (you can format, but I didn't), and then copying the new EDFC folder over, then my saves, then all my ROMs again.  Excessive, probably, but it worked.  When I just renamed my old EDFC folder over and copied the new one in, it sort of worked, but had issues with all the MMC5 games.

I've got an N8 without an adapter, though, so I don't know if that makes any difference.

Oddly enough, it seemed to be related somehow to this.  I copied everything off, formatted, recopied and it loaded on the first try.  Was getting some IO errors when loading games though, something I have never experienced before.