Author Topic: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming  (Read 215774 times)

Offline Great Hierophant

• View Profile
Re: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming
« Reply #90 on: May 15, 2018, 05:59 AM »
I noticed on Mapper 105, the Nintendo World Championships 1990 cartridge, sets a time of 6m34s minutes in the ED N8.  The official time was 6m15s, the next option down.  Do you think you could adjust the time krikzz for the mapper?

For the mapper's timer, the time starts once you see the Super Mario Bros title screen, not before, and ends the instant you see the large TIME'S UP screen.
Check Out My Vintage Video Game & Computing Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 15, 2018, 06:11 AM »
Also, do you have an idea how are you going to fix FDS audio pitch issue?

Not sure if i will fix it at all, i almost give up.

Please don't give up, FDS audio is really out of tune.
A longer wave length will result in a lower pitch, maybe you could make the period slightly shorter to raise the pitch?
Or maybe you could ask Slamy for help?, he knows how audio mappers work and he's still around.

----

Will it not be possible to make the official v20 OS with mapper 024.RBF like it used to be?
It doesn't take any memory to change the MAPROUT.BIN file yourself and add 0.24 RBF, correct?
The reason for my persistent asking is I use an AV Famicom and the balance with the current mappers is not the best, so I use Slamy's 024 volume package.
People who use NT Mini or AVS can adjust external volume and even use emulated mappers, but not original Famicom hardware users.
The Sunsoft 5B, VRC7, VRC6 mappers sound correct but they have wrong volume balance in the original Famicom (or AV Famicom).

EDIT: I tested changing MAPROUT.BIN in address 0x18 to 18, yes it uses the external 024.BRF, but Save State no longer work with external 024 mapper.

Maybe it will be useful if Slamy and I helped tune all N8 external audio mapper volumes after all?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 07:42 AM by James-F »
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, N8 Pro, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline bran479

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 15, 2018, 08:48 AM »
I just wanted to say THANK YOU!!
I have had a really bad couple months this cheered me up.

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2018, 09:17 AM »
Tried this on the latest AVS firmware.  No more white artifacts. Can reset back to menu now. Everything I tested work beautifully.

I will need to redownload my FDS games as I'm not sure if I have no intro versions of everything. Plus I'm missing some games. Could not test any other mmc5 game as I don't have any other than CV3.

Thanks again for this update, this is awesome! This is now the perfect everdrive (minus some bug fixes no doubt).
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 04:52 PM by leonquest »
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO

On my wishlist:
Everdrive GBA - EDGB X3 - Saturn Satisfier

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 15, 2018, 06:04 PM »
beta2 available for download. Look at first my post for details

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 15, 2018, 06:34 PM »
Thanks for the update. MMC5 sound works great now. Mapper 99 (mainly used for Vs. System games and hacks, but the Vs. Excitebike NES hack uses it) is still showing graphical corruption, though. Why hasn't this been fixed?

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 15, 2018, 06:41 PM »
Great update.

I don't see any disk errors anymore, OS is now stable (for me).

VRC6 (Akumajo Densetsu), VRC7 (Lagrange Point) and Sunsoft 5B (Gimmick!) audio have great balance on the AV Famicom.
That's because all 3 mappers were developed for the AV Famicom.

FDS audio is unchanged, I don't think the envelope fix took effect.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 07:02 PM by James-F »

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 15, 2018, 06:52 PM »
Thanks for the update. MMC5 sound works great now. Mapper 99 (mainly used for Vs. System games and hacks, but the Vs. Excitebike NES hack uses it) is still showing graphical corruption, though. Why hasn't this been fixed?
I don't found any differences between v16 and current OS when tested few games. May be i just don't have mentioned game in my library, if it some hack
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 07:00 PM by KRIKzz »

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 15, 2018, 07:15 PM »
FDS autoswap blocking function.
Hold select to prevent disk swap (until select released)
If I release select the game starts (Zelda).

Might I ask what file Slamy provided for VRC6?
It sounds correct for the AV Famicom so I wonder what volume file did you choose for the N8 implementation in v20 beta2.

FDS still sound very out of tune.
Hope you will not give up, and fix this.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 07:45 PM by James-F »

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 15, 2018, 07:23 PM »
I don't found any differences between v16 and current OS when tested few games. May be i just don't have mentioned game in my library, if it some hack

What games did you test? This isn't a standard NES mapper, so most of the games using it are hacks made to work on NES anyway (though some hacks use another mapper instead). Due to the Vs. System PPU and being designed for a machine with a coin slot, most games for mapper 99 won't work on a NES without a hack. The patch for the Excitebike hack is here. I also uploaded the Vs. Excitebike hack.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 09:44 PM by brianvgplayer »

Offline PalAndreew

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 15, 2018, 08:01 PM »
I now do not even know!
we have 24 degrees of heat, it's sunny ... to go out with girlfriends to get a walk ... or stay at home and start studying the update.
you are truly a wonderful person, Krikzz.
Thank you. ;D

Offline sqwirral

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 15, 2018, 08:21 PM »
Thanks for the updates Krikzz  :D

Guys don't forget if you want absolutely perfect FDS audio, plus a button to change disk sides, you can get fdsstick for about $9 and an fds ram adaptor. Surely beats emulation no matter how close krikzz gets it
(Oh, I suppose you'd need to have a famicom too but seriously why WOULDN'T you have one?  8) )
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 08:22 PM by sqwirral »

Offline Blitzed78

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 15, 2018, 08:40 PM »
thanks for the fds swap addition.  small problem, I use the 8bitdo controller for the console and if you hold the select button down it tries to sync so it won't work.  or if you hold the start button down it will shut the controller down.   Is there a chance it can be set up where the fds will wait for you to tap the select button down and then it will resume fds swapping or maybe put it on A or B on the the controller?  thanks krikzz for your updates to this!! 

Offline Chronos30

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 15, 2018, 09:12 PM »
thanks for the fds swap addition.  small problem, I use the 8bitdo controller for the console and if you hold the select button down it tries to sync so it won't work.  or if you hold the start button down it will shut the controller down.   Is there a chance it can be set up where the fds will wait for you to tap the select button down and then it will resume fds swapping or maybe put it on A or B on the the controller?  thanks krikzz for your updates to this!!

Hm, I use 8bitdo too so that'll also be a problem for me. If it has to be a hold-button solution, A and/or B seems to be best, it wouldn't have any conflicts that I can think of (actual games ask you to hold them all the time so I don't think controllers or consoles would reserve them for special features)

Offline keeper7

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 15, 2018, 09:15 PM »
Even with Beta 2 I'm still having IO Errors. :'(
I tested three times in a row. I renamed the old OS folder to EDFC-OLD1, EDFC-OLD2 and EDFC-OLD3.
Again, no issues with OSv16.
Am I the only one?