Author Topic: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming  (Read 215740 times)

Offline James-F

• View Profile
Re: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming
« Reply #105 on: May 15, 2018, 09:24 PM »
Even with Beta 2 I'm still having IO Errors. :'(
Copy everything from your SD to your computer, or prepare what you want on the computer.
Format the SD with FAT32 4kb.
Copy everything back to SD.

Don't change anything inside the EDFC folder ever.
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, N8 Pro, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline keeper7

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 15, 2018, 09:25 PM »
Even with Beta 2 I'm still having IO Errors. :'(
Copy everything from your SD to your computer, or prepare what you want on the computer.
Format the SD with FAT32 4kb.
Copy everything back to SD.

Don't change anything inside the EDFC folder ever.

Already tried that.

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 15, 2018, 09:48 PM »
My Everdrive is the FC version, Bios v. 5, Cpld v. 2, Adate 02.09.16.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 09:53 PM by brianvgplayer »

Offline aldocx

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 15, 2018, 09:50 PM »
Thank you krikzz!

No more IO Errors for me.

My only problem is that VRC6-VRC7 and Sunsoft 5B expansion audio is way too low now, almost inaudible on an original Famicom. Is there a way to change the mappers volume levels?

As for the FDS sound, I too recommend to get a FDSStick.

Offline PalAndreew

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 15, 2018, 09:56 PM »
Krikzz!

no words to express gratitude! ;D ;D ;D ;D
This is an impeccable and tremendous work!

I'm very happy ... Everdrive N8 works ... ?practically? - completely ....
All the same, we need to understand one question:
I think - that on my console - OS16 - the sound on the 24 mapper (VRC6) was the most optimal ...
I will not ask for change the code again ... but can explain how to change the balance or How and where to change the VRC6 sound back to OS16 level?

I understand - the matter is in various revisions and versions of consoles, respectively!
I have:
Famicom (FF-famicom / family)
CPU-GPM-02 (CPU / PPU  = G version)
Evedrive N8 (Famicom)
CPLD VER: 2
BIOS VER: 5

I am very sorry  . help finish the goods!

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 15, 2018, 09:58 PM »
@aldocx, @PalAndreew

The volume of the mapper is a program.
The original developer tweaked the mapper to sound like a reference recording of the Game+OG_Famicom on the AV Famicom.
The final mapper will sound balanced on a AV Famicom, but not on the OG famicom.
N8 external audio with the OG Famicom will usually sound too quiet.
The AVS and NT Mini have external volume control in the menu, so the N8 can sound balanced on these consoles too.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 10:00 PM by James-F »

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 15, 2018, 10:08 PM »
@aldocx, @PalAndreew

The volume of the mapper is a program.
The original developer tweaked the mapper to sound like a reference recording of the Game+OG_Famicom on the AV Famicom.
The final mapper will sound balanced on a AV Famicom, but not on the OG famicom.
N8 external audio with the OG Famicom will usually sound too quiet.
The AVS and NT Mini have external volume control in the menu, so the N8 can sound balanced on these consoles too.

Not to mention that the actual carts are louder than the mapper used as well. Since there is no audio option, and probably won't be one in the future (I really hope there can be a way to implement it with it taking up less memory), I feel the Everdrive N8 mapper volume should be adjusted to match the actual carts.

Which Akumajou Densetsu mapper most closely matches the full volume of the cart?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 11:07 PM by brianvgplayer »

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 15, 2018, 10:27 PM »
I can clearly understand why the developers chose to use the AV Famicom as reference and not the original Famicom.
The AV Famicom internal audio is actually much cleaner than the OG Famicom, the OG Famicom has some distortion hence compression, some filtering AND it all goes through the RF modulator.
The AV Famicom on the other hand is not distorting internally, does not have added filtering, does not go through an rf modulator, AND has very convenient rca connections.

But, the general audible balance between internal av famicom and external n8 mapper were compared to the original game on the original famicom.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 10:34 PM by James-F »

Offline PalAndreew

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 15, 2018, 11:05 PM »
forgot to tell a very important detail:
I have a modification of AV.
those. The simplest scheme is where Audio from pin 46 and
 video (after the transistor with 21 pins of PPU) - go directly to the LF / AV input of the TV - along the way Electrolytes.

I sealed the potentiometers on the sound resistors ... on the "Test" motherboard Famicom GPU_02 (I have 4 copies).
- and most importantly: a method of living comparison with two original Japanese games - Madara and Lagrange Point =
I could understand that for me in OS16 - to my revision - the sound is perfectly balanced ...

now - optimization under "Famicom AV" makes a very awkward and unfair thought:
not everyone can afford to buy Famicom AV and even more so - in good working order ...

help to reach a compromise!

I suggest leaving two versions of the files - where there are already experimental versions for "Famicom AV" and "Famicom RF -GPU_02" ... for even older versions of the consoles - meaningless = there will not be enough power of the sound generator inside the N8 cartridge.
I'm unfortunately in programming - completely unaware.
so if possible - help roll back the volume of "Extra" audio channels to OS16 ... I think it's very selfish of me.
but from the bottom of the heart I ask))).

(added a third detail:
  I can send 3 options Audio recordings
1.Madara op - the original Japanese
2.Madara op -Everdrive N8-OS16
3.Madara op -Everdrive N8-OS20b)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 11:19 PM by PalAndreew »

Offline masterkivat

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 15, 2018, 11:18 PM »
Hello dear friends and Krikzz.
I'm having a specific "issue" with VRC6 audio on Akumajou Densetsu (Castlev3 JP).
I own a NES-001 (american model) with a ENiO Board Exp installed attached on it, but after adding v20-beta2 at current smokemonster's pack, the VRC6 audio in Akumajou Densetsu is so damn lower, and even if I remove ENiO Board the new OS version can't seem to play VRC6 properly.
I didn't had any of the OS error (lucky bastard of me), everything's playing okay despite this "audio issue" I'm suffering from VRC6.
Is this behavior normal with ENiO Board?
Better asking: should I expect that the stable release can "coexist" with Slamy's VRC6 audio fix?

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 15, 2018, 11:31 PM »
I heard how the games sound on Famicom AV and I rather have them too loud than too quiet. I find it very disappointing that the high and low settings were removed and even more disappointing that the feature won't likely be re-added.

Also the 35 volume VRC6 mapper is fine for AV Famicom, but it's WAY too quiet for AVS to the point that even raising the volume 4 or 5 times doesn't sound right. On the actual cart the volume sounds good as is on the AVS, but lowering it one time makes it sound perfect.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 11:43 PM by brianvgplayer »

Offline Slamy

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 15, 2018, 11:40 PM »
I sadly don't have a Famicom as I play my games on a modified US NES.
If someone could make an analysis which volume of my mapper sounds best on an OG Famicom I would encourage Krikzz do deliver the Everdrive OS package in multiple flavors for every NES available.
So you can select a package according to the device you use.
That would be the best solution as I now understand the problems of memory space Krikzz has with the OS.
I even would encourage a source merge of the audio mapping cores to allow volume control using a common subsystem.
My core uses PWM with a changing PWM frequency to allow multiple volumes. This approach could be also possible for all others mappers whose functionality I'm not familiar with.

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 15, 2018, 11:43 PM »
This is exactly why the N8 needs a volume control for the original Famicom and AV Famicom.
People report Necronomfive's VRC7 and Sunsoft 5B, and Slamy's VRC6 being too quiet on the original Famicom, this is because Necronomfive and Slamy tuned their mappers on his AV Famicom.

So for now, on the original Famicom we can replace the MAPROUT.BIN and a louder 024.RBF mapper for VRC6.
But there is no solution for VRC7 and Sunsoft 5B, because there is ONLY a version for AV Famicom.

What would you suggest as a solution without wasting more ram on the OS?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 11:53 PM by James-F »

Offline Slamy

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 16, 2018, 12:01 AM »
What would you suggest as a solution without wasting more ram on the OS?

As I have suggested we could have multiple version of the Everdrive OS. One for each NES type. This won't use up any storage on the OS side.

Offline PalAndreew

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 16, 2018, 12:09 AM »
I think - that to create several audio-level options for the in-game versions of consoles is:
1. reasonable and practical
2. quite feasible
3. There is no need to change or destroy already having progress ... and so - almost everything is perfect!

as I mentioned earlier - for the last revision of "Classic Famicom RF"
(known more as CPU_GPM_02) - does not require much modification - OS16 is surprisingly compatible and self-contained ... just use these settings

or can create a new article - where they will offer to discuss and download the versions of ready-made OS-but with the level changes - to the taste and color of Everdrive N8 user.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 12:12 AM by PalAndreew »