Author Topic: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming  (Read 216268 times)

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
Re: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming
« Reply #120 on: May 16, 2018, 12:14 AM »
thanks for the update Krikzz.
 the info for beta 2 states that death race is fixed (assigned mapper 144). the ines mapper info for the rom says it's mapper 11. does the beta 2 release info mean i will need to change the death race rom header to use mapper 144 for it to work properly?
 i would just test it to find out but my retro consoles are packed away since we are planning an house move soon.
 full mapper 5 support sounds great. are all mapper 5 games now working fine?

Offline Great Hierophant

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 16, 2018, 01:15 AM »
You have to change the header, Death Race doesn't work as Mapper 11 or 79.  Mapper 11 is the Color Dreams mapper, but Death Race is an AVE release.  Mapper 79 is AVE's custom mapper, but Death Race has a small difference that makes it not work with 79, so you need 144.
Check Out My Vintage Video Game & Computing Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

Offline djpweb

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 16, 2018, 01:17 AM »
On my end (PAL/FRENCH NES + Hi-Def Nes) I have an issue on Castlevania (USA Rev.A) with the Beta 2 (didn't tried the Beta 1) : The score / hud text is scrolling as if it was part of the background, the box for the tool stay correctly in the right position. Didn't tried more yet, will do later.

Offline Great Hierophant

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 16, 2018, 01:29 AM »
On my end (PAL/FRENCH NES + Hi-Def Nes) I have an issue on Castlevania (USA Rev.A) with the Beta 2 (didn't tried the Beta 1) : The score / hud text is scrolling as if it was part of the background, the box for the tool stay correctly in the right position. Didn't tried more yet, will do later.

That is normal.  Use a European ROM on a European console.
Check Out My Vintage Video Game & Computing Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 16, 2018, 01:54 AM »
I feel the external audio mapper volume should be consistent between mappers, at least.

Offline thepulserifle

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 16, 2018, 02:09 AM »
I've just tried out Beta 2 on a regular toaster NES, and am observing an AB Error when attempting to create a name in FDS Zelda Hyrule Fantasy. Happens every time I try to save the name.

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 16, 2018, 02:12 AM »
You have to change the header, Death Race doesn't work as Mapper 11 or 79.  Mapper 11 is the Color Dreams mapper, but Death Race is an AVE release.  Mapper 79 is AVE's custom mapper, but Death Race has a small difference that makes it not work with 79, so you need 144.

right i changed the mapper to 144. is there a list anywhere of games which need the mapper changed to work properly with the N8? i remember changing the problematic camerica games to mapper 2 which supposed to improve performance but maybe there has been others in the past which i don't know about.

also has anyone checked the crash test dummies game which had an issue a while back? i cant remember if it ever got fixed. also i think there was a mickey mouse game which also had a problem.

with support for all mapper 5 games the n8 must have close to 100 percent compatibility for all licensed games now.

Offline iliek

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 16, 2018, 02:43 AM »
Even with Beta 2 I'm still having IO Errors. :'(
I tested three times in a row. I renamed the old OS folder to EDFC-OLD1, EDFC-OLD2 and EDFC-OLD3.
Again, no issues with OSv16.
Am I the only one?

I'm having I/O errors with this beta version as well.  v20b1 gives me some I/O errors on occasion as I browse directories, but I can still play games without any problems if I can load one before the I/O error occurs.  With v20b2, I get nothing but I/O errors and cannot even load directories or view files.  v16 works perfectly fine still, on the same card with the same formatting as I tried v20 on.

Offline Arnold101

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 16, 2018, 03:25 AM »
beta2 available for download. Look at first my post for details
on original famicom i was using sound HI option, now that option is gone and all the expansion games music are too much low now, can be fixed somehow? (even with vrc6 fix is still low)

please bring back HI sound option  :(
or like others suggested, make a OS with the sound exp set forced on HI by default and not on LOW like now. PLEASE
EDN8 can be hardware modded to boost sound or not?

all fds games are black screen. not working anymore, i'm on beta2
black screen fixed with defragmentation
if i want to use the old os but with expanded mappers i need only maps and maprout.bin? or need the new os.bin too?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 04:35 PM by Arnold101 »

Offline jaquio

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 16, 2018, 04:10 AM »
Please, any tip about how to fix Fighting Hero 3? Mapper is supported but the game has big graphical issues after char select screen.

ps: thank you very much for this huge update!!

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 16, 2018, 05:41 AM »
Also the 35 volume VRC6 mapper is fine for AV Famicom, but it's WAY too quiet for AVS to the point that even raising the volume 4 or 5 times doesn't sound right. On the actual cart the volume sounds good as is on the AVS, but lowering it one time makes it sound perfect.

That is expected.
How many clicks are there on the AVS for "Exp Volume"?
Can you please make a recording of Akumajo Densetsu Beginning track (B+Start on title screen) on maximum "Exp Volume" volume?

For people with the original famicom that already modified their console to add rca jacks, you can always replace R7 with a potentiometer to adjust (lower) internal audio, since you already modified your console,, you are not using the RF output and complaining about bad sound right?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 05:56 AM by James-F »
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, N8 Pro, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 16, 2018, 06:34 AM »
I had to turn my AVS volume all the way up for the sound to match the APU in the VRC6 test. Compared to the actual cart where I had to turn the volume down for the sound to be correct.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 06:42 AM by brianvgplayer »

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 16, 2018, 06:51 AM »
Can you or can you not provide a recording?
AVS on max exp volume.

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 07:25 AM by brianvgplayer »

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 16, 2018, 07:38 AM »
hmm...
I understand that you don't have a simple RCA to 1/8" cable to record the TV outputs into your computer?
These phone recordings of a TV are not good for anything, especially judging fine mix balance.

I feel the external audio mapper volume should be consistent between mappers, at least.
Agreed.
This is indeed the case with the current v20 beta2 with VRC6, VRC7 and Sunsoft 5B mappers because all of them were balanced on the AV Famicom.
But MMC5 is not, it is loud on the AV Famicom.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 07:48 AM by James-F »