Author Topic: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming  (Read 228033 times)

Offline Jdurg

• View Profile
Re: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming
« Reply #150 on: May 16, 2018, 07:36 PM »
Hey KRIKzz.  I think trying to find the "perfect" solution to the audio issues might be an unachievable feat.  Without Oscilliscope readings and hard factual numbers to back up each opinion, there really isn't any "right" one.  EVERYBODY has different hearing.  As we age, our hearing changes.  What we heard 20 years ago will not sound the same today.  This is fact.  Throw in differences due to genetics, exposure to loud noises, etc. and it can drive you crazy.

I'm wondering if it would be possible, once things like I/O errors and other functionality bugs are squashed, if it would be possible to have a "core" OS that folks who aren't as picky or specific or technically advanced could download and use right away?  In addition, have a website where folks can choose specific mappers they want to use, specific volume level versions of the mappers, etc. etc. and customize it however their ears desire, then have it compile the custom OS for them to use?

Something similar to the SD2SNES menu creator.  This could save you some hassle due to the subjective nature of audio.  Of course, it would all depend on whether that's even feasible.  Just some ideas being thrown at the wall to see what can stick.  :p

Offline aldocx

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 16, 2018, 07:51 PM »
I thinking about making special menu with dedicated audio gain settings for each audio mapper, this is probably the only right solution.

Yes please! That would be ideal. Current volume levels are almost useless for us using an original Famicom.

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 16, 2018, 09:51 PM »
I still feel the audio should be compared to the actual carts and made to equal the volume of the carts. I don't want to have to turn up the AVS nearly all the way to get a good sound volume when I can just use the Akumajou Densetsu cart and only turn the volume slightly down. Almost all of the mappers are lower than the actual carts and I disagree that keeping them that way is a good solution. At least the current mappers sound great on the Famicom AV, but I feel the louder sound of the carts should be the default, not the other way around.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 09:56 PM by brianvgplayer »

Offline Jegriva

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 16, 2018, 09:54 PM »
beta2 available for download. Look at first my post for details

Well, this is amazing, the Everdrive N8 value is still increasing so many years after its inception. What a fantastic little plastic magic.

Offline xfcrowman

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 16, 2018, 10:17 PM »
Krikzz, thanks for your work on the Everdrive N8!

Unfortunately I can't get beta1 or beta2 to work with my frontloader NES.  It has a blinking light win and the famicom expansion audio mod, and I am using a 16gb SanDisc card.  I tried a 4kb cluster size but that didn't help either.  Does anyone have any other suggestions? 

Thanks again!

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 16, 2018, 10:28 PM »
I don't want to have to turn up the AVS nearly all the way to get a good sound volume when I can just use the Akumajou Densetsu cart and only turn the volume slightly down.

Are you for real? You "don't want"?
You have the AVS with freely adjustable expansion volume yet you complain the loudest.
You do know many people invested many hours to fine tune the mappers to sound good, it was not done automatically by a computer.
If you REALLY want a mapper that sounds like the original cartridge you can start by providing quality reference recordings of all the original cartridges so "not you" can start working on it.
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, N8 Pro, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline Cartina

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 16, 2018, 10:36 PM »
Thanks for re-enabling long reset in the beta2, but something seems to gone wrong as I have to hold the button for twice as long as I had to in the past (v16). Rather than 2-3 seconds to reset to menu, I have to hold for maybe 5-6 seconds at minimum. Perhaps there is a reason for this, but just letting you know.

NES Everdrive N8
NES Console (Frontloader/Toaster)
Bios: 5
CPLD: 2

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 16, 2018, 10:39 PM »
I don't want to have to turn up the AVS nearly all the way to get a good sound volume when I can just use the Akumajou Densetsu cart and only turn the volume slightly down.

Are you for real? You "don't want"?
You have the AVS with freely adjustable expansion volume yet you complain the loudest.
You do know many people invested many hours to fine tune the mappers to sound good, it was not done automatically by a computer.
If you REALLY want a mapper that sounds like the original cartridge you can start by providing quality reference recordings of all the original cartridges so "not you" can start working on it.

You are the one who keeps shooting down my opinion and suggesting I'm wrong for wanting a balanced level that is the same as the actual cart. I understand that you feel the audio should be kept quieter, but I don't feel that way. I am willing to test, but I don't like your attitude.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 10:42 PM by brianvgplayer »

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 16, 2018, 10:54 PM »
You are the one who keeps shooting down my opinion and suggesting I'm wrong for wanting a balanced level that is the same as the actual cart. I understand that you feel the audio should be kept quieter, but I don't feel that way. I am willing to test, but I don't like your attitude.

No, I don't think mapper audio should be kept quieter, I think we should have a solution that should fit all famicom revisions.
I know for sure that if Krikzz provides various volume options for each mapper like Slamy did, he's NOT going to tune it for ones liking, you would have to do that yourself.
My 'attitude' comes from my understanding that you want the the perfectly balanced original volume mapper provided to you on a silver platter, which is not going to happen.
So reading stuff like "I don't want to have to turn up/down" sounds very demanding to me, nothing remotely close to an opinion.

Anyway, lets hope Krikzz can provide a solution for all famicom revisions even if the end user will have to find the right volume by himself.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 11:08 PM by James-F »

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 16, 2018, 11:45 PM »
I know I have to wait, I misunderstood what you said about the audio. From what I read, it sounds like Gimmick a quiet on average famicom with real cart.

Offline fernan1234

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 17, 2018, 12:41 AM »
Gimmick cart sounds loud as hell on my original Famicom and well balanced with the expanded audio (especially the star sound). On the emulated sound the music is not as loud and punchy/bassy as the original cart, and the star is barely audible since it was balanced for AV Famicoms.

Offline olias

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 17, 2018, 12:57 AM »
I was using Slamy's 024.RBF prior to the update and it sounded great on my original Famicom HVC-CPU-08! post update, even replacing with Slamy's version has the bass channel missing/super low volume. Not sure what's going on here, I've tried replacing with many different iterations of Slamy's mapper.
Gimmick sounded great though. and I gave up on FDS sound from the everdrive and bought an FDS stick to use with an oem RAM adapter.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 01:08 AM by olias »

Offline fernan1234

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 17, 2018, 02:38 AM »
I was using Slamy's 024.RBF prior to the update and it sounded great on my original Famicom HVC-CPU-08! post update, even replacing with Slamy's version has the bass channel missing/super low volume. Not sure what's going on here, I've tried replacing with many different iterations of Slamy's mapper.
Gimmick sounded great though. and I gave up on FDS sound from the everdrive and bought an FDS stick to use with an oem RAM adapter.

Maybe you need to restore the MAPROUT.BIN that went along with the 024 that worked well for you.

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 17, 2018, 04:22 AM »
I can help krikzz balance all mapper and produce 2 files per mapper, one for the AV Famicom and one for Original Famicom.

I will have to have some quality recordings of the original carts in a AV Famicom,, and obviously at least 20 volume steps for each mapper from krikzz.
Then I will select a rbf that sounds balanced on the av famicom and rbf that sound like the original cart on the av famicom.

Offline olias

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 17, 2018, 04:50 AM »

Maybe you need to restore the MAPROUT.BIN that went along with the 024 that worked well for you.
Thanks for the good advice. Where can I read how maprout.bin works?
Luckily I have a backup of my old one from when it was working, but I don't want to cause any other problems.