Author Topic: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming  (Read 30810 times)

Offline Arnold101

• View Profile
Re: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming
« Reply #165 on: May 17, 2018, 04:52 AM »
I can help krikzz balance all mapper and produce 2 files per mapper, one for the AV Famicom and one for Original Famicom.

I will have to have some quality recordings of the original carts in a AV Famicom,, and obviously at least 20 volume steps for each mapper from krikzz.
Then I will select a rbf that sounds balanced on the av famicom and rbf that sound like the original cart on the av famicom.
i want to choose myself the one i like more, so i prefer the option that krikkz thinked (separate sound control for each mapper)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 04:54 AM by Arnold101 »

Offline olias

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 17, 2018, 05:41 AM »
I was using Slamy's 024.RBF prior to the update and it sounded great on my original Famicom HVC-CPU-08! post update, even replacing with Slamy's version has the bass channel missing/super low volume. Not sure what's going on here, I've tried replacing with many different iterations of Slamy's mapper.
Gimmick sounded great though. and I gave up on FDS sound from the everdrive and bought an FDS stick to use with an oem RAM adapter.

Maybe you need to restore the MAPROUT.BIN that went along with the 024 that worked well for you.
Thanks for the good advice. Where can I read how maprout.bin works?
Luckily I have a backup of my old one from when it was working, but I don't want to cause any other problems.
now only Akumajou Densetsu works. How do I edit maprout.bin to work properly?

Offline Great Hierophant

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 17, 2018, 06:32 AM »
I compiled a list of games known to be non-working.  It's fairly current and pretty comprehensive.
Check Out My Vintage Video Game & Computing Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 17, 2018, 09:55 PM »
I tested Namco 106 sound again using the JP Rolling Thunder. It sounds close to the real cart, but it's a bit louder and actually changes pitch at times on AVS at higher volume and AV Famicom.

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 17, 2018, 10:12 PM »
Unfortunately the Namco 106 chip is mixed differently on every game cartridge that use it, therefor a mapper in the N8 that is tuned to one particular game will be out of balance for all other 106 games.

http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/Namco_163_audio
Scroll down for "Mixing"

This is another good reason to have several volume options for each audio mapper, besides the fact that there are a million Famicom revisions,, I hope Krikzz will not disappoint.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 10:15 PM by James-F »
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 17, 2018, 10:35 PM »
I compiled a list of games known to be non-working.  It's fairly current and pretty comprehensive.

thanks for the list. on the list the workaround suggested for Fudou Myouou Den is to set ines mapper to 207 but i think this is an error because the game is 207 to start with and mapper 207 is not supported.
 another game which could be added to the list is dreamworld pogie. there is a bus conflict patch to be found here https://twitter.com/bbbradsmith/status/811344703538991104 and mentioned here http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/nes-powerpak-and-everdrive-n8-mapper.html i'm not sure if the latest version of the rom found here http://dreamworldpogie.com/ has been fixed or not. the rom date is 02031027 is a few months after the problem was detected and fixed so maybe it has been fixed. the first version i downloaded from that site was december 2016 i think.

hopefully the crash dummies and mickey's safari mmc3 issues and the issues with skull and crossbones and hard drivin' RAMBO-1 IRQ timing can be fixed in the future.

where do i find the mapper 2 patch for dooly bravo land? the info states to use a patch and not just set ines mapper to 2 so i gather setting ines mapper to 2 don't work for this game and for some reason a patch is required?

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 18, 2018, 12:17 AM »
Thanks for re-enabling long reset in the beta2, but something seems to gone wrong as I have to hold the button for twice as long as I had to in the past (v16). Rather than 2-3 seconds to reset to menu, I have to hold for maybe 5-6 seconds at minimum. Perhaps there is a reason for this, but just letting you know.

NES Everdrive N8
NES Console (Frontloader/Toaster)
Bios: 5
CPLD: 2

Weird, it should be around 2. sec

I can help krikzz balance all mapper and produce 2 files per mapper, one for the AV Famicom and one for Original Famicom.

I for sure will not make multiple rbf files, what i planning, it make menu where user will be able to tune audio balance for each mapper according to his preference. But it will be for next release

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 18, 2018, 01:11 AM »
Unfortunately the Namco 106 chip is mixed differently on every game cartridge that use it, therefor a mapper in the N8 that is tuned to one particular game will be out of balance for all other 106 games.

http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/Namco_163_audio
Scroll down for "Mixing"

This is another good reason to have several volume options for each audio mapper, besides the fact that there are a million Famicom revisions,, I hope Krikzz will not disappoint.

ahh. I remember reading that it had its own mixer or something.

Will removing the sorting feature clear out any space? It causes issues like fragmentation if used too much, so I have it turned off.

Offline Arnold101

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 18, 2018, 01:24 AM »
Thanks for re-enabling long reset in the beta2, but something seems to gone wrong as I have to hold the button for twice as long as I had to in the past (v16). Rather than 2-3 seconds to reset to menu, I have to hold for maybe 5-6 seconds at minimum. Perhaps there is a reason for this, but just letting you know.

NES Everdrive N8
NES Console (Frontloader/Toaster)
Bios: 5
CPLD: 2

Weird, it should be around 2. sec

I for sure will not make multiple rbf files, what i planning, it make menu where user will be able to tune audio balance for each mapper according to his preference. But it will be for next release
you mean on v21?

Offline bozo55

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 18, 2018, 01:49 AM »
Just popping in to share my experiences...

As someone with both AV and regular Famicoms, and the FDS I can confirm that the audio pitch is mostly right except for certain instruments which are at least one semitone off... the horns are off by an obvious amount on the Zelda intro.

Also experiencing FDS errors making it unusable ATM.  2GB SD freshly formatted with Panasonic SD Formatter 4.0 FAT16.  No biggie since I have an FDS stick. 

Thanks to Krikzz for all the hard work and hoping for easy remedies to the issues.

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 18, 2018, 02:13 AM »
I tried a couple FDS disk images with headers. The headers were still removed after using the images, but the games haven't been corrupted.

I have been getting a few disk not inserted errors, but in most cases, the games still boot after holding down A.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 03:43 AM by brianvgplayer »

Offline Arnold101

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 18, 2018, 03:31 AM »
Just popping in to share my experiences...

As someone with both AV and regular Famicoms, and the FDS I can confirm that the audio pitch is mostly right except for certain instruments which are at least one semitone off... the horns are off by an obvious amount on the Zelda intro.

Also experiencing FDS errors making it unusable ATM.  2GB SD freshly formatted with Panasonic SD Formatter 4.0 FAT16.  No biggie since I have an FDS stick. 

Thanks to Krikzz for all the hard work and hoping for easy remedies to the issues.
make a defrag to fix, i have no fds errors

Offline phoenixdownita

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 18, 2018, 07:59 AM »

Any chance to have then 2 OS (is it rbf 255?) one with HI and one with LO fixed audio mixing?

Offline aldocx

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 18, 2018, 10:31 AM »
Am I correct in saying that if the VRC7 and 5B mappers would have the same volume as VRC6's 100 setting, it would sound OK for us Original Famicom users?

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 18, 2018, 10:40 AM »
Alright.
The fixes and savestate functionality for all mappers in v20 is worth the update alone, so I assume people will be happy till you sort things out.

Any chance to have then 2 OS (is it rbf 255?) one with HI and one with LO fixed audio mixing?
Why do you want LO setting? It is much quieter than HI, and HI is the fixed and non-changeable value ever since v14.
Besides, VRC6, VRC7, and 5B where tuned on HI (non-changeable default) on a AV Famicom.

nesos-v14 28.10.2016
1)Fixed MMC4 (glitches in Fire Emblem)
2)New mappers support. 31, 137, 138, 139, 141, 147, 168
3)Removed "audio mix vol" option. Now it always in "Hi" state
4)Removed "Mapper info" menu due the lack of memory space
5)Minor bugfix
https://krikzz.com/pub/support/everdrive-n8/OS/changelist.txt

Am I correct in saying that if the VRC7 and 5B mappers would have the same volume as VRC6's 100 setting, it would sound OK for us Original Famicom users?
No.
They have completely different code (different programmer) and volume balance.
I am not sure VRC7 and 5B mappers by Necronomfive can have their volume changed easily without Necronomfive.
Even if Krikzz/Necronomfive did provide several volume files like Slamy, the end user would have to select the correct one himself.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 10:47 AM by James-F »
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, SD2SNES, Joyzz.