Author Topic: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming  (Read 60528 times)

Offline Arnold101

• View Profile
Re: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming
« Reply #180 on: May 18, 2018, 03:25 PM »
Am I correct in saying that if the VRC7 and 5B mappers would have the same volume as VRC6's 100 setting, it would sound OK for us Original Famicom users?
no, necrom mappers where too low even with the HI mode

Offline bozo55

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 18, 2018, 07:47 PM »
Just popping in to share my experiences...

As someone with both AV and regular Famicoms, and the FDS I can confirm that the audio pitch is mostly right except for certain instruments which are at least one semitone off... the horns are off by an obvious amount on the Zelda intro.

Also experiencing FDS errors making it unusable ATM.  2GB SD freshly formatted with Panasonic SD Formatter 4.0 FAT16.  No biggie since I have an FDS stick. 

Thanks to Krikzz for all the hard work and hoping for easy remedies to the issues.
make a defrag to fix, i have no fds errors

But I did an overwrite erase when I formatted the SD card.  I don't see how there could have been any fragmentation.

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 18, 2018, 10:25 PM »
Maybe it's something to do with the cluster size?  Not sure.  I didn't do an full format on mine when I had weird issues, I just did a cut-paste, copied over the new EDFC folder (minus the SAVES folder), then copied in the SAVES folder, then all my ROMs back on.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline bozo55

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 19, 2018, 12:25 AM »
Maybe it's something to do with the cluster size?  Not sure.  I didn't do an full format on mine when I had weird issues, I just did a cut-paste, copied over the new EDFC folder (minus the SAVES folder), then copied in the SAVES folder, then all my ROMs back on.

Thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll give FAT32 4K cluster size a try.

Offline CLChambers00

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 19, 2018, 12:26 AM »
Would it require a complete rewrite of everything in order for NES Final Fantasy to work the same as the cart? If you use the cart then all of the encounters are in the same places all the time no matter who does it. But if you use the ever drive then the encounters are in different places. They are  consistent lie in the same places  with the everdrive  but they are not in the same places  as they should be . How everdrive uses Ram or functions seems to impact Ram addresses utilized by the game for RNG. Presently the only way to learn the speed run of this game and play the world record route is to use an emulator or the powerpak. I would like to see people being able to utilize the everdrive to save State practice and play Speed Run route for Final Fantasy.

Offline iliek

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 19, 2018, 01:19 AM »
The ongoing IO issues people are having are not likely related to fragmentation.  KRIKzz has even said, if I'm not mistaken, that IO errors are not caused by fragmentation and that fragmentation issues will result in a solid green or black screen.

I have tested my setup (US Frontloader, BIOS 5, CPLD 2, SN 3903) several times and will do additional testing with various other brands and types of SD cards.  I'm sure there are more than enough people who would be willing to help troubleshoot if KRIKzz needs it, myself included of course.

Offline fernan1234

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 19, 2018, 06:51 AM »
Would it require a complete rewrite of everything in order for NES Final Fantasy to work the same as the cart? If you use the cart then all of the encounters are in the same places all the time no matter who does it. But if you use the ever drive then the encounters are in different places. They are  consistent lie in the same places  with the everdrive  but they are not in the same places  as they should be . How everdrive uses Ram or functions seems to impact Ram addresses utilized by the game for RNG. Presently the only way to learn the speed run of this game and play the world record route is to use an emulator or the powerpak. I would like to see people being able to utilize the everdrive to save State practice and play Speed Run route for Final Fantasy.

This is really interesting. It never occurred to me that the ED could have this unique effect on RNG.

Offline phoenixdownita

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 19, 2018, 07:41 AM »

Any chance to have then 2 OS (is it rbf 255?) one with HI and one with LO fixed audio mixing?
Why do you want LO setting? It is much quieter than HI, and HI is the fixed and non-changeable value ever since v14.
Besides, VRC6, VRC7, and 5B where tuned on HI (non-changeable default) on a AV Famicom.

OK, maybe an OS RBF with a decent level for AV Famicom and one for normal Famicom (I don't know if it is HI/LO or HI/HI++ or whatever is needed)

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 19, 2018, 09:09 AM »
OK, maybe an OS RBF with a decent level for AV Famicom and one for normal Famicom (I don't know if it is HI/LO or HI/HI++ or whatever is needed)
Krikzz has answered that question on page 12:
Quote from: Krikzz
I for sure will not make multiple rbf files, what i planning, it make menu where user will be able to tune audio balance for each mapper according to his preference. But it will be for next release

@Krikzz
Can you please elaborate on what is planned in terms of mapper volumes for the final v20 release?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 09:23 AM by James-F »
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline phoenixdownita

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 19, 2018, 06:27 PM »
Krikzz has answered that question on page 12:
Quote from: Krikzz
I for sure will not make multiple rbf files, what i planning, it make menu where user will be able to tune audio balance for each mapper according to his preference. But it will be for next release

I'm pretty sure he meant the games mapper as there's more than one, but I believe the OS is either 1 file or 1 file + mapper 255, either way if he can release the OS in 2 flavors (one as it is now and one with higher volume mixing [if possible]) less people will have issues of the mixing being too  quiet/loud as it may be [even if one may have to use v1 with one mapper and v2 with another].
As a side effect if krikzz does it we can binary compare the 2 versions and maybe find the byte that could be changed to generate other variants ourselves via hex editor (this assuming the difference in volume mixing is coded on the OS as a single byte that can be modified without ill effects ... it may just not be possible).

Anyhow let's see what he comes up with, according to many report the current situation just does not satisfy many users.

Offline olias

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 19, 2018, 09:26 PM »
Because this recent update has a 024.rbf that makes my HVC-CPU-08 play Akumajou Densetsu with improper sound, I need to replace the file, but it doesn't unless I use the old maprout.bin, which then cancels every other mapper.
How do I configure this to work properly?

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 19, 2018, 10:13 PM »

I also read the cart version of Metroid has a similar issues. Any way to make Everdrive games run in the same initial state as the actual carts?

Offline Missingno255

• hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 20, 2018, 12:35 AM »

I also read the cart version of Metroid has a similar issues. Any way to make Everdrive games run in the same initial state as the actual carts?
Most games on NES rely on the random garbage in the RAM and the 2A03 CPU registers being present when the console is turned on. Since the Everdrive loads a menu before the game is executed, the RAM and CPU registers initialized to constant values from the OS being left beind. That is why certain games don't act like they should using real carts, with the best example being Terminator 2: Judgement Day, where the copyright screen does not show up at all on the Everdrive. The same thing can happen on the Gameboy as well.

http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/Everdrive_N8
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 01:13 AM by Missingno255 »
Owned Everdrives: Everdrive MD, Mega Everdrive, Everdrive N8, Everdrive GB X5, Turbo Everdrive, Super Everdrive, Everdrive GBA

Misc Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline PalAndreew

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 20, 2018, 03:29 AM »
Very interesting!
the same version of OS20 beta2 ...
my console is GPU_02 (VCI / FF model1989)

I now started the Gimmick!
 - I definitely like the sound ... at least - compared to different emulators (here - who is what the rich).

also drew attention - Akumajou Dentsetsu:
- the initial screen saver, of course, is late for both channels- out-of-sync, says about the insufficient volume of "Extra-channel" ... but when I started the first level of the game - it's very nice and warm, the balance is definitely !!!

but behind all the joy - lies the trouble:
 the sound is so quiet - what you have to twist on the TV level volume is 50% or more ... ..very quiet ...

At me - from 46-pin (cartridge slot) goes on electrolyte 100uF / 16v ...- further on RCA and to the TV ...

a question for everyone who understands electronics -
HOW TO RISE THE OUTPUT LEVEL VOLTAGE AT THE OUTPUT - TWICE ... which transistor could be soldered - that it would work from 3-5 volts and amplify the signal, even a little ...
Who can help to find or calculate the output gain circuit? ...

(Update)
I forgot - that the transistor will amplify both the games with EXTRA sounds and games with the main pAPU channels ... therefore - I think except the transistor - to solder a small toggle switch / switch behind the console - that would connect the "Amplification / without "or potensiometer .
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 03:53 AM by PalAndreew »

Offline Arnold101

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 20, 2018, 05:01 AM »
 @Krikzz
Can you please add support for nsf music files? Thank you