Author Topic: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming  (Read 286301 times)

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
Re: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming
« Reply #195 on: May 20, 2018, 05:29 AM »
Would it require a complete rewrite of everything in order for NES Final Fantasy to work the same as the cart? If you use the cart then all of the encounters are in the same places all the time no matter who does it. But if you use the ever drive then the encounters are in different places. They are  consistent lie in the same places  with the everdrive  but they are not in the same places  as they should be . How everdrive uses Ram or functions seems to impact Ram addresses utilized by the game for RNG. Presently the only way to learn the speed run of this game and play the world record route is to use an emulator or the powerpak. I would like to see people being able to utilize the everdrive to save State practice and play Speed Run route for Final Fantasy.

I also read the cart version of Metroid has a similar issues. Any way to make Everdrive games run in the same initial state as the actual carts?
Most games on NES rely on the random garbage in the RAM and the 2A03 CPU registers being present when the console is turned on. Since the Everdrive loads a menu before the game is executed, the RAM and CPU registers initialized to constant values from the OS being left beind. That is why certain games don't act like they should using real carts, with the best example being Terminator 2: Judgement Day, where the copyright screen does not show up at all on the Everdrive. The same thing can happen on the Gameboy as well.

http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/Everdrive_N8

Does the reset to game option and a hard reset solve the issue?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 05:31 AM by brianvgplayer »

bsittler

« Reply #196 on: May 20, 2018, 07:39 AM »
BTW I have been using 20 beta 2 and so far it's excellent - finally I can play the English translation of Doropie with no snow on the AVS! I didn't notice any difference compared to the actual cartridge, in fact, other than the text being translated of course

Nice work :)

Offline Missingno255

• hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 20, 2018, 11:52 AM »
Would it require a complete rewrite of everything in order for NES Final Fantasy to work the same as the cart? If you use the cart then all of the encounters are in the same places all the time no matter who does it. But if you use the ever drive then the encounters are in different places. They are  consistent lie in the same places  with the everdrive  but they are not in the same places  as they should be . How everdrive uses Ram or functions seems to impact Ram addresses utilized by the game for RNG. Presently the only way to learn the speed run of this game and play the world record route is to use an emulator or the powerpak. I would like to see people being able to utilize the everdrive to save State practice and play Speed Run route for Final Fantasy.

I also read the cart version of Metroid has a similar issues. Any way to make Everdrive games run in the same initial state as the actual carts?
Most games on NES rely on the random garbage in the RAM and the 2A03 CPU registers being present when the console is turned on. Since the Everdrive loads a menu before the game is executed, the RAM and CPU registers initialized to constant values from the OS being left beind. That is why certain games don't act like they should using real carts, with the best example being Terminator 2: Judgement Day, where the copyright screen does not show up at all on the Everdrive. The same thing can happen on the Gameboy as well.

I would assume so, but I haven't really researched it much. The article does mention that Reset state is not affected.
Owned Everdrives: Everdrive MD, Mega Everdrive, Everdrive N8, Everdrive GB X5, Turbo Everdrive, Super Everdrive, Everdrive GBA

Misc Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline Aether Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 20, 2018, 06:05 PM »
OK...tried out beta2 for a bit. Noticed the SMB3 ending curtain glitch is still there. Also I don't remember off hand but was it possible to use save states in a FDS game? I seem to recall it being disabled if you loaded an FDS game. I was able to activate a save state  (in Vs. Excitebike) and the game froze immediately. I was kind of expecting it not to work, but I'm almost certain it just flat out didn't work at all in v16.

Might want to go ahead and re-disable that in beta3 onwards...

Offline CLChambers00

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 21, 2018, 03:54 AM »

I would assume so, but I haven't really researched it much. The article does mention that Reset state is not affected.

I would give it a try tonight I'll let you know the results. I'm not sure how to do a hard reset with the ever Drive.

Offline vitaflo

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 21, 2018, 07:31 AM »

No.

Offline CLChambers00

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 22, 2018, 03:14 AM »
Ok. Thanks for checking, I did not have the chance to look yet. Would be a great benefit for the everdrive since people are doing this with the powerpak presently and I would like to see that thing overshadowed completely.

Offline Jegriva

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 22, 2018, 10:18 PM »
Ok, stuck to the solid blue screen after the briefly flashed green one. With OS v16 usually there came the menu, but not with v20 Beta 2.

AV Famicom
Everdrive N8 Famicom
Bios: 5
CPLD: 2

Offline masterninjah

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 23, 2018, 02:36 PM »
i just played through ninja gaiden on the beta2 firmware and had multiple crashes even though everything is clean and with a blinking light win kit.  i also have graphical glitches in a lot of games like gimmick! and castlevania 3.

im playing on a hi def nes if that helps with anything

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 23, 2018, 09:34 PM »
Ok, stuck to the solid blue screen after the briefly flashed green one. With OS v16 usually there came the menu, but not with v20 Beta 2.

AV Famicom
Everdrive N8 Famicom

i have exact same setup. works perfect for me. remember you have to delete the EDFC folder then replace with new one NEVER overwrite.
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X7 - TED v2.4 - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - EDGB X7 rev B

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 23, 2018, 11:27 PM »

AV Famicom
Everdrive N8 Famicom

i have exact same setup. works perfect for me. remember you have to delete the EDFC folder then replace with new one NEVER overwrite.
Yeah, even copying over a new EDFC folder and renaming the old one doesn't seem to work.  I think somehow that the firmware is still holding on to the memory location of the old folder, so it doesn't end up seeing the mapper updates properly, or gets a partial grab or something.  Just make sure you don't delete your SAVES folder with it!
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline SmokeMonster

• Puzzle Bobbler
  • tsst tchh chh ch ch ch
    • View Profile
    • SmokeMonster YouTube Channel
« Reply #206 on: May 24, 2018, 08:58 AM »
Format the card, then copy the new files over.

Offline Meiso

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 24, 2018, 01:45 PM »
At me - from 46-pin (cartridge slot) goes on electrolyte 100uF / 16v ...- further on RCA and to the TV ...

a question for everyone who understands electronics -
HOW TO RISE THE OUTPUT LEVEL VOLTAGE AT THE OUTPUT - TWICE ... which transistor could be soldered - that it would work from 3-5 volts and amplify the signal, even a little ...
Who can help to find or calculate the output gain circuit? ...

(Update)
I forgot - that the transistor will amplify both the games with EXTRA sounds and games with the main pAPU channels ... therefore - I think except the transistor - to solder a small toggle switch / switch behind the console - that would connect the "Amplification / without "or potensiometer .
Hi. Try to assemble this scheme. And I think you don't need a toggle switch, just quiet down the TV's sound.
Everdrive N8, SD2SNES [mod rev.E1 to G], Mega Everdrive [rev.1, rev.2]
Famicom [HVC-002+AVmod+jailbar fix, HVC-101, Famicom Remake by Harwareman], SFC [SNS-CPU-GMP-02], Sega Genesis 2 [VA1.8+MegaAMP, VA2.3+PSG fix+MegaAMP, VA3+MegaAMP] + addon Sega 32x

Offline PalAndreew

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 24, 2018, 04:43 PM »
At me - from 46-pin (cartridge slot) goes on electrolyte 100uF / 16v ...- further on RCA and to the TV ...

a question for everyone who understands electronics -
HOW TO RISE THE OUTPUT LEVEL VOLTAGE AT THE OUTPUT - TWICE ... which transistor could be soldered - that it would work from 3-5 volts and amplify the signal, even a little ...
Who can help to find or calculate the output gain circuit? ...

(Update)
I forgot - that the transistor will amplify both the games with EXTRA sounds and games with the main pAPU channels ... therefore - I think except the transistor - to solder a small toggle switch / switch behind the console - that would connect the "Amplification / without "or potensiometer .
Hi. Try to assemble this scheme. And I think you don't need a toggle switch, just quiet down the TV's sound.

Thank you very much for your help. I will certainly make this scheme.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 04:54 PM by PalAndreew »

Offline Arnold101

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 24, 2018, 08:49 PM »
want to know what krikkz mean by next os for mapper sound exp boost, v20 final or v21?