Author Topic: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming  (Read 215690 times)

Offline James-F

• View Profile
Re: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming
« Reply #225 on: May 30, 2018, 07:14 PM »
I would start by formatting (fat32 4kb) and putting only the OS and a single rom to test.
Backup your SAVES directory from the old OS.
If you want to use the saves, copy them to the new OS on your pc BEFORE copying to the SD.
Nothing in the OS folder should be changed or added if it is already on the SD card.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 07:24 PM by James-F »
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, N8 Pro, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline Quantum

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 30, 2018, 07:28 PM »
All of my tests on my 5 SD cards have been fresh formats, copy OS, copy a rom.

I've used a bunch of different allocation sizes for each card (including 4k). I've messed with this a LOT trying to get it to work, but in the end this needs to be rock solid stable for a streaming/speedrunning setup.

Again, I bought the everdrive for v20 (mostly the expanded save state support), so if I can't get it to work I will probably return it.

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 30, 2018, 08:02 PM »
Everything has been solid for me, so that's weird for sure.

I have noticed that perhaps the MMC3 timing is still off a bit; I don't know what the title screen for Little Ninja Brothers is supposed to look like, but I see some small lines of graphical corruption with the wavy start image, and a line at the right edge towards the center that seems to blink, almost like a cursor, at the title screen.  If someone has the real cart, I'd be super-interested to see what that is supposed to look like.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline ghostx2916

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 31, 2018, 05:36 AM »
I noticed an issue with Jackie Chan on the N8 while playing on the RetroUSB AVS. The bottom part of the screen with lives, etc. was shaking up and down a bit. Don't know if it is the Everdrive itself or the AVS causing it. Anyone else have these issues while playing on a real NES?

Offline PalAndreew

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 31, 2018, 06:54 AM »
I noticed an issue with Jackie Chan on the N8 while playing on the RetroUSB AVS. The bottom part of the screen with lives, etc. was shaking up and down a bit. Don't know if it is the Everdrive itself or the AVS causing it. Anyone else have these issues while playing on a real NES?

I want to note that I saw the same defect in "Super Mario Bros 3 (U)" - where the panel with progress / lives - slightly twitched vertically.
... my methods of solution:
1. I save the "saves"
2. on the computer - copy of roms. (Reserve)
3. format microSD 4gb - fat32 / 4000 ... (full, long formatting)
4. Then "copy" the EDFC FOLDER - to the root
5. I throw roms in a separate folder
6. throw "Saves"
7. I check the performance of important to me mappers.
8. Hours of testing and hundreds of games: everything works.
it is advisable to add nothing more to the microSD.
and of course ... unfortunately - I'll find a dozen more games that I want to try and add ROM files to the collection ... guess what will happen if I add new data to the collection?

By the way, a similar defect with a twitching of the lower screen of "status" I noticed in "Felix Cat, the" a long time ago when assembling OS14 ... the problem was in not a decent amount of files.

I'm not an expert on computers. but I think that the problem in all the troubles is that the system files of the sewing should be at the very beginning of the list, in much the same way as the system files on the "hard disk" - in the center, including the system tables and the cache.
adding files - where there is no "defragmentation", especially in the Win 10 system - and can be a frequent reason for not copying data correctly.

and then CPU writing data to an ancient RAM with an extremely limited set of data, where a small sign at the beginning of the file - may made jammed/stop loading!

Offline protheanbeacon

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 31, 2018, 08:31 AM »
I had the shaking screen issue with Super Mario Brothers 3 while using a real NES with Kevtris’s hi def nes board installed and I found the solution to my problem was setting the speckle or despeckle feature to the one setting out of three possible settings you can use for this so if the Retro AVS has a similar feature you guys may want to start testing it and see if it resolves your issue.

I also solved another problem using the despeckling options on my hi def nes modded top loader and AV Famicom.

Namely I wasn’t able to update the hi def nes firmware via running the file with the Everdrive N8 until I set up their despeckling options as well ie the original NES I told you all about giving me your same problems with Mario 3 was my more used and thus fully set up NES frontloader.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 08:33 AM by protheanbeacon »
krikzz products I own: SD2SNES, Joyzz, Everdrive GB X7, Everdrive GBA X5, Mega Everdrive X7, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, Turbo Everdrive v2, Master Everdrive X7.

Offline FBX

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 31, 2018, 10:46 PM »
Just wanted to report the beta 2 has been causing random game crashes and graphic glitches. I've had Chip N Dales and Akumajou Densetsu both either crash or have flickering line garbage at random points.

Also in regards to mixing the N8's audio into the NESRGB on a front-loader, I found I could use a 100 ohm pull-down resistor onto pin 2 of the expansion port from pin 9, and then of course from pin 9 to the NESRGB with a 47K ohm resistor. I was wondering if Krikzz could let me know if this is kosher or if there's a minimum pull-down value he would suggest? The music in Akumajou Densetsu sounds fine with this configuration, but I know that Voultar uses 3k to 4k range for pull-down. The problem I had with that is the noise cancellation wasn't 100%, wheres with a 100 ohm, the noise is down to levels below human hearing.

Edit: Determined anything below 1K Ohms wasn't worth worrying about due to severe diminishing returns on noise cancellation. I'll do my write-up web page guide with pics tonight.

Much appreciated for insight on this!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 01:45 AM by FBX »

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 01, 2018, 12:35 PM »
Krikzz last post was two weeks ago, I wonder if he is planing to finish this release.
The most important fix he should work out is the sd card errors which people report gone downhill from v16.

Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, N8 Pro, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline Great Hierophant

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 02, 2018, 01:11 AM »
I have been having random resets and freezes with Mega Man 3 and the beta with my Famicom.  I have also had frequent I/O errors and garbled directory listings with the Reset to Game option turned On with my Famicom and AV Famicom. 
Check Out My Vintage Video Game & Computing Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 02, 2018, 01:21 AM »
I'm getting the shaking status bar on same games like Flintstones Rescue of Dino and Hoppy too. Earlier, I assumed it was caused by the AVS, but I don't remember seeing them there on later AVS updates and now I see them on later revisions on the AVS.

edit: No shaking status bar on AV Famicom.

I have also had frequent I/O errors and garbled directory listings with the Reset to Game option turned On with my Famicom and AV Famicom.

I got garbled directory listings when I switched to PAL mode after turning on the AVS in NTSC mode, which didn't happen on earlier OS versions. TV is compatible with PAL signal and PAL mode still works when I turn the console on in PAL, so I don't think it's a PAL/NTSC issue.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 02:44 AM by brianvgplayer »

Offline Arnold101

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 02, 2018, 07:42 PM »
I want to know WHEN famicom users will be able again to use exp sound games at an acceptable volume, only 1 mapper have the boosted sound now, castlevania3, but other 2 not and can't play like that, just hope that not need months or years to get this update
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 07:44 PM by Arnold101 »

Offline Retrothunder

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 03, 2018, 08:25 AM »
I recently got the V. 20 beta 2, I was playing with my AVS and I notice that power blade 2 and seen a black line of the left side of the screen is anybody having the same problem.

Offline phoenixdownita

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 03, 2018, 08:36 AM »
I want to know WHEN famicom users will be able again to use exp sound games at an acceptable volume, only 1 mapper have the boosted sound now, castlevania3, but other 2 not and can't play like that, just hope that not need months or years to get this update

You do know you can go back to v16 and custom mappers anytime right?

This is a beta and as any beta not production ready, krikzz takes feedback seriously as he always has, hence why it has not released yet a final v20.
With regard to when would that happen? Well not before krikzz determines to have fixed the most pressing issues (the crashes, the garbled gfx etc...). For the volume thing I am not sure what he will decide to do, he has not said and there's no hurry either given there's other stuff as well anyway.

Again we should be thankful that Kirkzz released the betas so we could test, but given it is not ready for now just go back to v16 and the custom mappers that were also volume tweaked for the various famicom, using bold won't make v20 come out any time sooner.

Offline PalAndreew

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 03, 2018, 04:30 PM »

I think :
let Krikzz do the work leisurely. and on weekends - resting and drinking beer, resting in nature =)).
I can wait at least a year, even two years.
because basically 99.9% - I have a cartridge that is quite capable, and I have madly happy bought this product . all the merit of Krikzz.
but we can only wait patiently.

By the way: on the second microSD card, I have a copy of the ROMs and OS16 is just for working with the "balance" of the additional audio channels. nothing complicated is that to change the microSD.

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO

On my wishlist:
Everdrive GBA - EDGB X3 - Saturn Satisfier