Author Topic: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming  (Read 286345 times)

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO - MODE - MISTer

Offline Arnold101

• View Profile
Re: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming
« Reply #242 on: June 05, 2018, 12:06 AM »
btw is only the vrc6 boosted up, and i have already it, i thinked was a boost mod for the whole edn8 firmware...wich is not

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 05, 2018, 03:33 AM »
btw is only the vrc6 boosted up, and i have already it, i thinked was a boost mod for the whole edn8 firmware...wich is not

too bad then, happy waiting.
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO - MODE - MISTer

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 05, 2018, 08:20 AM »
Just wanted to report the beta 2 has been causing random game crashes and graphic glitches. I've had Chip N Dales and Akumajou Densetsu both either crash or have flickering line garbage at random points.

Akumajou Densetsu has minor line flickering under the status bar on an actual cart.

Offline FBX

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 07, 2018, 09:10 AM »

Akumajou Densetsu has minor line flickering under the status bar on an actual cart.

Had nothing to do with what I was seeing, which was flickering all over the screen in various spots. Reverting back to official firmware made the glitches and crashes stop.

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 07, 2018, 09:43 AM »
OS and Mappers should NEVER be fragmented, meaning they should be copied together after a format and never file by file at any other time.
This might be the reason for visual glitches from a fragmented mapper.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 06:46 PM by James-F »
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, N8 Pro, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline fernan1234

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 07, 2018, 06:40 PM »
I want to know WHEN famicom users will be able again to use exp sound games at an acceptable volume, only 1 mapper have the boosted sound now, castlevania3, but other 2 not and can't play like that, just hope that not need months or years to get this update

You do know you can go back to v16 and custom mappers anytime right?

This is a beta and as any beta not production ready, krikzz takes feedback seriously as he always has, hence why it has not released yet a final v20.
With regard to when would that happen? Well not before krikzz determines to have fixed the most pressing issues (the crashes, the garbled gfx etc...). For the volume thing I am not sure what he will decide to do, he has not said and there's no hurry either given there's other stuff as well anyway.

Again we should be thankful that Kirkzz released the betas so we could test, but given it is not ready for now just go back to v16 and the custom mappers that were also volume tweaked for the various famicom, using bold won't make v20 come out any time sooner.

v16 Didn't have mappers balanced for the original Famicom, except for maybe one. For Famicom users, and for the majority of users who have not had any crashes and graphics problems, this is actually a more important revision to the firmware.

After all, the SD/graphics problems are most likely to be due to user mishandling of the OS files or the fragmentation of the SD card.

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 13, 2018, 04:21 AM »
@Krikzz

From what I can see is that the OS requests information from the SD too fast thus creating errors, maybe the solution for the errors is to make the ed8 os read delay slower to be more compatible?
These SD read/write problems are quite common with the Everdrive series and I'm sure it can be solved in code.
Take the SD2SNES for example, it has zero compatibility issues with every SD cards I tried, but the ED64 and now the ED8 are very unstable which is very sad for such a great products.
Hopefully you can find the problem and fix it once-and-for-all to make the everdrive series more compatible with a wider range of sd cards.

Offline PalAndreew

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 13, 2018, 03:51 PM »
regarding the "shaking / earthquake" of the separate "status" screen in the Roms, which use 3 mappers.
 I found a certain pattern: the first launch of the rum, after a freshly loaded firmware / OS - give the effect of an earthquake.

but after the restart/ power sw, it can from the second / third time: the effect disappears.
 that alludes to:
1. Either cart create the file "save"
2. Either the temporary storage file or the cache. (which is doubtful)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 03:53 PM by PalAndreew »

Offline Theta55

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 17, 2018, 04:50 PM »
How is the progress going for beta 3 or the full release. Hope your getting the problems fixed it caused with some games like those disk games.Only saying cause it's been a couple weeks now. I hope you not taking a brake or something since you already started the project.

Offline justinwebb

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 17, 2018, 06:31 PM »
How is the progress going for beta 3 or the full release. Hope your getting the problems fixed it caused with some games like those disk games.Only saying cause it's been a couple weeks now. I hope you not taking a brake or something since you already started the project.
He can take all the time he wants, and if wants to take a break he can.  Good lord people are entitled.

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 17, 2018, 06:55 PM »
I hope you can realize some day how rude and self entitled you are being. It's disheartening to have people like  you in the forums. I hope Krikzz takes a year or more to release the next update, just to spite people like you.

Offline Theta55

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 18, 2018, 12:47 AM »
I hope you can realize some day how rude and self entitled you are being. It's disheartening to have people like  you in the forums. I hope Krikzz takes a year or more to release the next update, just to spite people like you.

Not really rude. it's more like a little push. He can do whatever he wants i guess. It's just me and us that want it out sooner then later or never.
He makes amazing products thou and makes amazing firmwares. I encourage him to keep doing what he is doing.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 04:10 AM by Deltax5 »

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 18, 2018, 07:59 AM »
I am interested to know whether Krikzz intends to finalize the new N8 firmware too.
I think it was wise on his side to publish beta version to test stability, and I think he has all the feedback he need reading this thread.

I don't think Krikzz or Ikri need 'knights in shining armors' jumping to protect them every time a 'when' question pops, please don't.
I think it is very clear that Krikzz had some more urgent matters to attend to, but the question whether Krikzz going to finalize the new OS is important and very relevant to this thread,
so one should not be apprehensive asking the 'when' question and need not a 'human firewall' filtering the question for Krikzz or Ikari.

About the SD card read errors, I'll repeat it gain, I really hope the N8 will not end up like the ED64 that is randomly sensitive to SD cards that it is a lottery to even start using the already payed for product.
This problem is fundamental to the usability of the everdrive device and should be attended ASAP.