Author Topic: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming  (Read 316914 times)

Offline Jegriva

• View Profile
Re: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming
« Reply #255 on: June 18, 2018, 10:09 PM »
I am interested to know whether Krikzz intends to finalize the new N8 firmware too.
I think it was wise on his side to publish beta version to test stability, and I think he has all the feedback he need reading this thread.

I don't think Krikzz or Ikri need 'knights in shining armors' jumping to protect them every time a 'when' question pops, please don't.
I think it is very clear that Krikzz had some more urgent matters to attend to, but the question whether Krikzz going to finalize the new OS is important and very relevant to this thread,
so one should not be apprehensive asking the 'when' question and need not a 'human firewall' filtering the question for Krikzz or Ikari

I agree. Unlike other forums and situtations, here we are Krikkz’s customers. That put us in a different positions than, for example, somebody who just want the new release of a free emulator.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 18, 2018, 11:00 PM »
How is the progress going for beta 3 or the full release. Hope your getting the problems fixed it caused with some games like those disk games.Only saying cause it's been a couple weeks now. I hope you not taking a brake or something since you already started the project.

Work in progress (: Seems like we fixed fds, this time were made test program and it were tested with oscilloscope, waves forms matches to original fds. Also few more new mappers were included and some other was fixed. I think that final release will be ready in 3-4 weeks

Online leonquest

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 19, 2018, 04:13 AM »
I am interested to know whether Krikzz intends to finalize the new N8 firmware too.
I think it was wise on his side to publish beta version to test stability, and I think he has all the feedback he need reading this thread.

I don't think Krikzz or Ikri need 'knights in shining armors' jumping to protect them every time a 'when' question pops, please don't.
I think it is very clear that Krikzz had some more urgent matters to attend to, but the question whether Krikzz going to finalize the new OS is important and very relevant to this thread,
so one should not be apprehensive asking the 'when' question and need not a 'human firewall' filtering the question for Krikzz or Ikari

I agree. Unlike other forums and situtations, here we are Krikkz’s customers. That put us in a different positions than, for example, somebody who just want the new release of a free emulator.

Shining knight my ass, if you feel self entitled enough to tell krikzz to "not take breaks"  then I'm as self entitled to call you up on your bullshit.

Yes, we are all krikzz's customers but there are better ways to ask for things. Besides we paid for these flash carts as is, we weren't promised updates, and we are not paying for said updates. I'm just glad krikzz is such a cool guy that he's willing to put up with all the BS and he is still willing to improve on his products.
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO - MODE - MISTer

Offline Arjak

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 19, 2018, 04:34 AM »
Work in progress (: Seems like we fixed fds, this time were made test program and it were tested with oscilloscope, waves forms matches to original fds. Also few more new mappers were included and some other was fixed. I think that final release will be ready in 3-4 weeks

Thanks for the status update. I really appreciate it. :)

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 19, 2018, 05:33 AM »
Thanks for the update, KRIKzz!  Sounds awesome.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 19, 2018, 06:32 AM »
Work in progress
This report is greatly appreciated, thank you Krikzz.
Did you do something about the SD card read errors?
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, N8 Pro, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline fandangos

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 19, 2018, 01:14 PM »
How is the progress going for beta 3 or the full release. Hope your getting the problems fixed it caused with some games like those disk games.Only saying cause it's been a couple weeks now. I hope you not taking a brake or something since you already started the project.

Thank you, Krikzz! More mappers means the N8 will surpass even the PowerPak with custom mappers.
Amazing.

I already own the famicom n8 it's time to purchase the nes version to use with my hi def nes

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 19, 2018, 02:12 PM »
Work in progress
This report is greatly appreciated, thank you Krikzz.
Did you do something about the SD card read errors?

No, i can't reproduce sd errors on my hardware

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 19, 2018, 07:33 PM »

Thanks for the update!

Offline kjetil_f

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 20, 2018, 03:53 PM »
Great news! I have a PAL console with Hi-Def Nes installed using the PAL ppu chips, rp2c07-0 rev. Seems like some of the games I have are glitching when I play them using the Everdrive. They work fine when I use the original cartridge however. Anything a Everdrive update might fix?

Offline keeper7

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 20, 2018, 04:23 PM »

Hello Krikzz,
Whatever you modified in the new beta OS on how it access the SD card, please, revert it back to make it work like the previous OS's.
I had tried multiples sd cards and different cluster sizes. I gave up and now I using OSv16.
It seems like I'm not the only one having trouble with the new beta OS.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 04:35 PM by keeper7 »

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 20, 2018, 04:41 PM »

It takes several power cycles (Power On -> Off -> On) on my AV Famicom till OS20 beta2 stabilizes and works without I/O errors from first power on this day (cold boot).
But, when intentionally scrolling through pages (left right) fast back and forth, I get error 51, 61, 62, but not always.
When scrolling sometimes I see scrambled yellow/white letters and symbols in the bottom grey box instead the full rom name, sometimes the whole list is scrambled with yellow and white symbols and letters.

I should note that all my everdrives are from official Krikzz store and my N8 Fami order number is (QNURELRAM) if that helps.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 05:02 PM by James-F »
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, N8 Pro, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline Great Hierophant

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 20, 2018, 07:19 PM »
James-F's suggestions are useful to getting to the point where you are only dealing with the issues he described.  His suggestions are :

1.  Do not use DriveSort, at least the modern versions (v1.230 & v1.225). If you have, the only way to fix it is to reformat your SD card.  I had issues with modern DriveSort and OSv16 but never with old DriveSort (v1.223).  Old DriveSort did not have the ability to sort subdirectories automatically when you sorted the root directory.  You can avoid needing DriveSort by copying each subdirectory's folder to the SD card one at a time.

2.  Always format your SD card to use 4K clusters, regardless of the SD card's capacity.  Windows can do this.

Without these fixes, I experienced random crashes after loading games on my Famicom and my Front Loader, resetting to the menu not working and directory display glitches too bad to use. 

I also suggest keeping the number of first-level subdirectories to a reasonable number, no more than three pages. 

I have found that my AV Famicom will not behave, power cycle it and try again.  It seems to be random whether the menus will work or you will get errors. 
Check Out My Vintage Video Game & Computing Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

Offline Theta55

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 20, 2018, 10:52 PM »

Thanks for the update. We needed it. I hope to install this new firmware that is bigger and better then before. thanks for everything you have done.

Offline Jegriva

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 21, 2018, 01:25 AM »

Shining knight my ass, if you feel self entitled enough to tell krikzz to "not take breaks"  then I'm as self entitled to call you up on your bullshit.

Yes, we are all krikzz's customers but there are better ways to ask for things. Besides we paid for these flash carts as is, we weren't promised updates, and we are not paying for said updates. I'm just glad krikzz is such a cool guy that he's willing to put up with all the BS and he is still willing to improve on his products.

Damn man, chill out.