Author Topic: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming  (Read 319688 times)

Offline fandangos

• View Profile
Re: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming
« Reply #270 on: June 21, 2018, 04:00 AM »
You bought a product with the features advertised and received said product period.

You were not tricked by the amount of mapers supported at that moment those were explict. It's not incomplete it's the advertised state in the said moment. Which you choose to buy.

You didn't buy a lifetime contract with Krikzz, you do not pay his monthly bills and his work time.

This work, for FREE, is amazing. People with so much reputation in the retroscene are talking about this and thanking Krikzz just like Bob (retrorgb) did in his recently posted video.

Offline MaarioS

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 21, 2018, 01:58 PM »
The romantic tension between users here starts to get uncomfortable

I'm not sure whether this has been reported before, although I noticed glitches that happen randomly in some games on beta2 and I have never seen those glitches on final releases. For instance, here is Cat Ninden Teyandee with some strange image flicker on the bottom:

The same things happen on the same machine (Famicom AV RGB modded) using 2 different EDN8 FC and the same thing happened while disconnecting RGB board completely. I remember seeing some random glitches on another famiclone as well. I hope this gets attention and fixed, thanks in advance

Offline keeper7

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 21, 2018, 02:26 PM »
It takes several power cycles (Power On -> Off -> On) on my AV Famicom till OS20 beta2 stabilizes and works without I/O errors from first power on this day (cold boot).
But, when intentionally scrolling through pages (left right) fast back and forth, I get error 51, 61, 62, but not always.
When scrolling sometimes I see scrambled yellow/white letters and symbols in the bottom grey box instead the full rom name, sometimes the whole list is scrambled with yellow and white symbols and letters.
I should note that all my everdrives are from official Krikzz store and my N8 Fami order number is (QNURELRAM) if that helps.

Interesting!
I decided to reinstall the beta2 and try to power cycle my system.
After switching it on and off five times in a row the menu came up but not stable though as sometimes I get I/O errors while browsing the folders.
At least I could test Castlevania III and the glitch reported in the thread below was fixed! :D Thanks Krikzz!
http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=6649.0

« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 12:51 AM by keeper7 »

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 29, 2018, 08:49 AM »
You bought a product with the features advertised and received said product period.

You were not tricked by the amount of mapers supported at that moment those were explict. It's not incomplete it's the advertised state in the said moment. Which you choose to buy.

You didn't buy a lifetime contract with Krikzz, you do not pay his monthly bills and his work time.

This work, for FREE, is amazing. People with so much reputation in the retroscene are talking about this and thanking Krikzz just like Bob (retrorgb) did in his recently posted video.

Thank you, a thousand times. I'm amazed this still needs to be said, even after being repeated over and over. I wonder why the moderators permit this bullshit,  and allow this toxic behavior to continue. Their childish self-entitlement is beyond ridiculous! .

Once again, I am glad krikzz is above this and he is still willing to make his everdrives as close to perfect as possible.
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO - MODE - MISTer

Offline Aether Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 29, 2018, 04:40 PM »
If people are upset with the features or the lack of features just tell them if they are unhappy with any Everdrive products, just sell them and buy original. These products are clearly not for you.

Offline Johnny23b

• View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 30, 2018, 12:45 PM »
Before the Everdrive N8 excisted, we had no choice to play almost any game and hack on real hardware. I am very happy with this product and Krikzz is doing his best to make everyone satisfied! There is no such support for cheap and low quality chinese products such as the Super Ufo or whatever they are called! Be happy with the Everdrive N8 and keep OSv16 before the next official OS version is Final!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 12:47 PM by Johnny23b »

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 01, 2018, 08:25 AM »
StartTropics seems to be broken on Beta2 OSv20.
It freezes on a grey screen at boot, probably mapper related.
Can anyone confirm?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 09:09 AM by James-F »
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, N8 Pro, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 01, 2018, 09:42 AM »
StartTropics seems to be broken on Beta2 OSv20.
It freezes on a grey screen at boot, probably mapper related.
Can anyone confirm?

It works for me. I had similar issues before and had to delete and re-copy the OS directory.

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 01, 2018, 10:18 AM »
Alright is was a faulty game, the one from my no-Into set doesn't work, but from GoodSet does.
I'll make sure next time to double check that it is not the rom that is faulty.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 11:00 AM by James-F »

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #279 on: July 01, 2018, 11:27 PM »
I tried the latest beta and also received read error, which nearly never happened in the past. Before transfering the update, I had made a copy of everything on my sd card to my computer, formatted the sd card, copied back the rom and save file and used fat sorter to sort my nes rom alphabetically. I understand it might not be necessaey anymore as the everdrive seem to now have an option built in (on the fly alphabetical sorting of rom was always tought as impossible for the everdrive n8 before). I had to reboot a few time because I would get read error popping  while browsing the games list. Also had issue with FDS Legend of Zelda. It booted (title screen music sounded a bit weird to me) and then it gave me a “A B Side error” or something like that after entering a name in the game.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 11:58 PM by SkinnyV »

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 02, 2018, 06:16 AM »
I'm not sure what you're saying here. The sorting feature on the Everdrive N8 has been around for a long time. I'm personally wondering why it's still there because it causes fragmentation issues when it's turned on.

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 02, 2018, 07:28 AM »
I'm personally wondering why it's still there because it causes fragmentation issues when it's turned on.
Yep.

I should add that the "File Sorting" feature should be turned OFF before running the OS first time after a fresh format, because when the file sorting runs (at boot or after a reset) it destroys the file system.

Do the following:
1. Copy the new OS to the SD, and run the new OS first time (even without ROMS) on the NES.
2. Go to the options screen (press Select) and turn "file sorting" OFF, reset the NES.
3. Power Off the NES, remove SD card, connect it to your PC.
4. Format the SD (FAT32 4kb) and copy the OS+ROMS folders to the SD together (important),, do not delete or add anything to the SD after that.

This way the OS has "file Sorting"option turned OFF before you run the new OS first time, this has to be done with each firmware update.
Do NOT turn file sorting On... ever.

The settings are stored on the EDN8 memory and backed by the Battery, so this procedure is important to do if you have SD errors.
I would remove the "file sorting" option completely from the OS because it causes more trouble than good.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 08:09 AM by James-F »

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 02, 2018, 10:43 PM »
I would remove the "file sorting" option completely from the OS because it causes more trouble than good.
Is Krikzz aware of this file sorting issue?
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 03, 2018, 06:30 AM »
Krikzz says he can't reproduce the sd errors on his hardware, so I would have to assume he will not address it.
I would suggest to Krikzz to turn off file sorting as default setting for the next firmware.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 08:08 AM by James-F »

Offline co5oos

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 03, 2018, 12:14 PM »
On OSv20beta2 i turned off file sorting, and then formatted sd card and then copied back os+roms, and i still get sd read errors. OSv16 works fine.