Author Topic: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming  (Read 309282 times)

Offline blizzz

• View Profile
Re: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming
« Reply #375 on: August 16, 2018, 04:21 PM »
Reseting to the menu doesn't work in RC1 for me. It shows "OS init..." and then goes to a black screen. Works fine after a hard reset of the console.

Fixed my issue by formating the SD card with "default" cluster size, instead of the 32KB that was preselected in the Windows dialog window. Reset works fine now.

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
« Reply #376 on: August 16, 2018, 04:43 PM »
I really have to say THANK YOU for the FDS disk flip solution.  It works perfectly.  If you want to hear the full intro, just hold onto select as you boot up the game and don't let go.  When you've seen enough, you just release the select button and after a short while the disk flip will happen as expected. 

One can now see/hear the full intro to all FDS games, or if one doesn't care, they can just boot the game from the main menu and not hold select. 

Audio wise, I'm not really noticing much different.  My NES has a Kevtris HDMI mod in there so i don't know if the ED OS expansion audio is even used?

Correct on your last paragraph. If you want to check the everdrive audio emulation, go into the hdmi settings on your nes and turn off kevtris's sound emulation.
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO - MODE - MISTer

Offline Jdurg

• View Profile
« Reply #377 on: August 16, 2018, 05:01 PM »
I really have to say THANK YOU for the FDS disk flip solution.  It works perfectly.  If you want to hear the full intro, just hold onto select as you boot up the game and don't let go.  When you've seen enough, you just release the select button and after a short while the disk flip will happen as expected. 

One can now see/hear the full intro to all FDS games, or if one doesn't care, they can just boot the game from the main menu and not hold select. 

Audio wise, I'm not really noticing much different.  My NES has a Kevtris HDMI mod in there so i don't know if the ED OS expansion audio is even used?

Correct on your last paragraph. If you want to check the everdrive audio emulation, go into the hdmi settings on your nes and turn off kevtris's sound emulation.

Gotcha.  Thanks for confirming that for me.  I almost feel special being able to understand some technical functionality of this now.  Haha.   8)

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 16, 2018, 07:22 PM »
@krikzz
Iif I can change the '8' multiplier then I can give you exact numbers for the vol-master to produce 1db volume steps from -10db to +10db
It will require bit more fpga resources, but it is possible. You think that current vol control is not enough flexible to tune required levels?

@Krikzz

There is not enough resolution from 100% down to 40% to adjust more accurately, so 16 with more steps would be more accurate.
Using a Voltage-to-db calculator I can calculate quickly the needed values for master-vol (0-255) for 16.
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculatorVoltagePower.htm

Steps for -0.5db jumps from 100 to 40:
16/16 = 1.00 (0db)
16/17 = 0.944 (-0.5db)
16/18 = 0.888 (-1.0db)
16/19 = 0.841 (-1.5db)
16/20 = 0.80 (-2.0db)
16/21 = 0.75 (-2.5db)
16/23 = 0.70 (-3.0db)  (no 22)
16/24 = 0.668 (-3.5db)
16/25 = 0.631 (-4.0db)
16/27 = 0.592 (-4.5db) (no 26)
16/29 = 0.551 (-5.2db) (no 28)
16/32 = 0.500 (-6.0db) (32 = half volume)
16/34 = 0.470 (-6.5db)
16/36 = 0.446 (-7.0db)
16/38 = 0.421 (-7.5db)
16/40 = 0.400 (-8.0db)

All steps from 16/8 (200% read next) to 16/40 can be useful even though I skipped a few in this example.

Also 30, 20, 10 and 0, but they do not need to be accurate.
Zero is an important setting for testing or muting external audio.

VRC6, VRC7, Sunsoft5B are accurate around 100-80 on the AV Famicom but the additional steps with 16 can make it perfect essentially.
FDS, MMC5, Namco163 are much louder than the others and on the AV Famicom need to be around 50%, that is why I ask a finer adjustment around 50%.
I hope it will not take too much space in the FPGA or too much work.

As for the Original Famicom, I would suggest going up to 200% even though it distorts the dac (16/15 -> 16/8).
The original famicom already distorts the internal signal but it has a lot of low pass filtering so the distortion is mellower.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 07:32 PM by James-F »
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, N8 Pro, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline PalAndreew

• View Profile
« Reply #379 on: August 16, 2018, 08:31 PM »
thanks, krikzz ... now try :)

Offline Blitzed78

• View Profile
« Reply #380 on: August 16, 2018, 10:10 PM »
Sound doesn’t seem to go up at all on the extra chip games when I  adjust it.  I’m using a av famicom rgb modded.

Offline fille1976

• View Profile
« Reply #381 on: August 16, 2018, 10:33 PM »
i get same problems as before,error 62 io,with v16 it was working perfekt,and with the same sdcard.
So decided to format it with sd card formatter,same result.,i give up.
Gona wait for final version.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 16, 2018, 11:41 PM »
i get same problems as before,error 62 io,with v16 it was working perfekt,and with the same sdcard.
So decided to format it with sd card formatter,same result.,i give up.
Gona wait for final version.

This  likely will not be fixed in final version. I can't fix the problem until i can reproduce the problem. May be someone can make the wideo with those errors at least, who knows, may be i will see some hints (including device info screen)

Offline my2k2zx2

• View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 17, 2018, 12:01 AM »
I went from getting OS INIT 4 in the beta versions to just OS INIT in the RC1 version.

I've formatted the micro sd card multiple times, tried booting up without a ROMS folder.

Not sure what to do.

I'm using a famicom N8 with a 60 pin converter on my US front loader.  I've also tried different converters.

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 17, 2018, 12:39 AM »
When I removed all the files from my card last night, extracted the new EDFC folder, copied my saves, then my ROMs, I got the "default settings" prompt, then it hung up.  On a reset/power up, I also got stuck at "OS Init".  However, I then took the EDFC folder, extracted it on my desktop, renamed it to "EDFC1", and copied it over.  I then copied in my saves, deleted the old EDFC folder, and renamed the "EDFC1" to "EDFC".  That seemed to do the trick.  I have no idea why that's the case, because I've had to do weird stuff like this each time I've upgraded, but I eventually get it to take.

Also note that when I did this, I did not recopy my ROMs like I had before, I left everything in the state it was from the first attempt at installing.

Is it possible that the FPGA is somehow retaining the location of the previous EDFC folder on the memory card, and gets goofy if it ends up in the same spot (or near it) on the card?  And when it fails (or is effectively forced to move like I did above), that it picks up on the location change and parses it in correctly?  Just spitballing here, I have no idea.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 12:44 AM by Sarge »
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline Jdurg

• View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 17, 2018, 12:45 AM »
For everybody reporting bugs in this thread, I think we could all help Krikzz out a bit if we include as much information as humanly possible in your reports.  Yes, this will be a bunch of work for those submitting these reports, but the only way to conclusively fix bugs is if the programmer themselves is able to reproduce those exact bugs.  Simply trying to guess how to reproduce the errors can be incredibly frustrating for a programmer, and may result in other unintended issues if the wrong code is addressed.  In addition, he is the ONLY one who knows his exact code so there's that.

Let's see if something like this could be provided:

Everdrive N8 Place of purchase:
Console Model (Top Loader, Front Loader, PAL, PAL-M, Famicom, AV Famicom, etc.):
Console Firmware In Use (If Applicable):
Power Supply (Original or Aftermarket):
Voltage output from Power Supply (If available):
Any Console Modifications? (If yes, what?):
Any Cart Adapters Used? (If yes, which specific adapter?):
SD Card Brand:
SD Card Size:
Was SD Card Formatted In Full Before Copying Files Over?:
Allocation Unit Size (as seen in Quick Format window when formatting flash drive):
Game ROM used (If game specific):
CRC of Game ROM used (If game specific):
Video/Pictures of Issue (VERY helpful):
Can You Reproduce This Issue?:

I think this information, if all provided, should help find/fix some issues.  Krikzz will of course request more information if deemed necessary.  Also note that if your Everdrive is a counterfeit one, no support will be provided by Krikzz.  You'll need to go back to the person who sold you that flash cart and have them support you.  Pictures and Videos are welcomed as well.  Language barriers, if present, may create confusion or misunderstandings.  Pictures of the issue or videos of the issue are able to be understood by all. 

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: August 17, 2018, 01:23 AM »
Actually the only extra information which i need for now is:
1. stuff from device info menu
2. video showing the problem
3. console type and mods or adapters if any used
4. Operation system of computer which were used for files loading (mac/win)
May be this info may give hints about those elusive IO errors

Offline Great Hierophant

• View Profile
« Reply #387 on: August 17, 2018, 02:00 AM »
Errors start 1:28 into this video, all the information is in the description.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsju3woWqjk
Check Out My Vintage Video Game & Computing Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: August 17, 2018, 02:18 AM »
Errors start 1:28 into this video, all the information is in the description.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsju3woWqjk
1. try to use fat32 if you use FAT(FAT16)
2. i wonder if something change if you will not put multiple files in root directory. Put all your games in "ROM" folder, so in root will be only two dirs ROM and EDFC

Offline PalAndreew

• View Profile
« Reply #389 on: August 17, 2018, 02:36 AM »
anyone, check out these games:
 1. Esper Dream 2
2.Mourou Senki Madara ...
 unlike Akumajou Densetsu (24 mapper) - the other two use 26 mappers. on these two - there are no sound channels - completely ... I've already tried all the standard methods (FORMATTING OS, separately downloaded rum ...) apparently you missed them and forgot to add to Mapper 26 - support for VRC6 ... check, I ask you.