Author Topic: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming  (Read 298494 times)

Offline Missingno255

• hi
    • View Profile
Re: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming
« Reply #465 on: August 21, 2018, 10:38 AM »
It appears that StarTropics 1 and Shadowgate are being misidentified as using Mapper 68, instead of Mapper 4, so I'm assuming this is a bug in OSv20-RC1, because I ran them in Nestopia and checked out fine on Mapper 4.

If you attempt to boot them currently, both StarTropics and Shadowgate boot to a gray screen.

EDIT: on an unrelated note. How can I turn up the volume of VRC6/VRC7 and Sunsoft 5B? They sound REALLY quiet. I am using an original Famicom.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 10:59 AM by Missingno255 »
Owned Everdrives: Everdrive MD, Mega Everdrive, Everdrive N8, Everdrive GB X5, Turbo Everdrive, Super Everdrive, Everdrive GBA

Misc Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #466 on: August 21, 2018, 11:13 AM »
@Missingno255

Do they sound quiet in comparison to super mario (for example), or the expansion audio is quiet in relation to internal audio in the same game?
You have to differentiate between the two.
Try setting the audio balance to 160% on these mappers.
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, N8 Pro, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline Jegriva

• View Profile
« Reply #467 on: August 21, 2018, 01:21 PM »
KRIKzz integrated everything , including Slamy and Necronomfive mappers.

FDS base pitch is correct now, but has some modulation problems that may distort the pitch if modulation is used.
This modulation effect is used for vibrato and many other manipulations that change the base note/pitch.

For the AV Famicom set audio balance like this:
FDS: 50 or 57
VRC6: 80
VRC7: 100
Sunsoft 5B: 100

Thank you very much! I suppose I should leave at 100 also the weird Namco ones, right?

Offline Great Hierophant

• View Profile
« Reply #468 on: August 21, 2018, 03:38 PM »
It appears that StarTropics 1 and Shadowgate are being misidentified as using Mapper 68, instead of Mapper 4, so I'm assuming this is a bug in OSv20-RC1, because I ran them in Nestopia and checked out fine on Mapper 4.

If you attempt to boot them currently, both StarTropics and Shadowgate boot to a gray screen.

EDIT: on an unrelated note. How can I turn up the volume of VRC6/VRC7 and Sunsoft 5B? They sound REALLY quiet. I am using an original Famicom.

Nestopia has a database which can identify ROMs and assign them their proper mapper number, but the EverDrive does not.  The database will disregard the settings in the header.  Use Nestopia's Edit Header function to fix the ROM permanently for the EverDrive.

The Audio Balance can go up to 166%, you should probably have it set there for an original, non-VCCI Famicom.
Check Out My Vintage Video Game & Computing Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
« Reply #469 on: August 21, 2018, 03:46 PM »

I just tested both and they boot fine for me. Try using a no-intro rom or use great hierophant's instructions.
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO - MODE - MISTer

Offline Jegriva

• View Profile
« Reply #470 on: August 21, 2018, 04:03 PM »

I just tested both and they boot fine for me. Try using a no-intro rom or use great hierophant's instructions.

They boot fine for me, too. I'm using the [!] roms of GoodNES.

BTW, I get often the IO Error 62 myself. I'm using a decade-old Sandisk 1Gb MicroSD (but it has always worked fine before).

OS 20 Rc1
Bios: 5
Cpld: 2
Adate: 29.03.17
Atime: 00:16
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 04:07 PM by Jegriva »

Offline Missingno255

• hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: August 21, 2018, 11:57 PM »
I fixed the header information with Nestopia. Apparently there was reserved or unknown data leftover in the header.
@Missingno255

Do they sound quiet in comparison to super mario (for example), or the expansion audio is quiet in relation to internal audio in the same game?
You have to differentiate between the two.
Try setting the audio balance to 160% on these mappers.
Did what you said and it worked perfectly. Thanks! VRC6 emulation is perfect the way it is right now, at least on original Famicoms.

Is VRC7 seven supposed to be really quite like that? Even on 160%, it's still hard to hear. If I'm not mistaken, it's due to the Everdrive N8 not having an amplifier?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 12:23 AM by Missingno255 »
Owned Everdrives: Everdrive MD, Mega Everdrive, Everdrive N8, Everdrive GB X5, Turbo Everdrive, Super Everdrive, Everdrive GBA

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #472 on: August 22, 2018, 12:17 AM »
Yeah, my understanding is that the EDN8 couldn't drive the sound as high as it needs to for the VRC7.  I think it's a little better than it was, but I may be mistaken.

I didn't have any trouble with StarTropics or Shadowgate.  But I'm using No-Intro and Smokemonster's sets, respectively.  And I think Smokemonster's set uses the No-Intro version anyway.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline Missingno255

• hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: August 22, 2018, 12:22 AM »
Yeah, my understanding is that the EDN8 couldn't drive the sound as high as it needs to for the VRC7.  I think it's a little better than it was, but I may be mistaken.

I didn't have any trouble with StarTropics or Shadowgate.  But I'm using No-Intro and Smokemonster's sets, respectively.  And I think Smokemonster's set uses the No-Intro version anyway.
Yeah, I fixed them. The specific No-Intro ROMs I had (I use the standard no-intro sets), contained some extra information in the header, that the N8 didn't like. :)

Offline Arnold101

• View Profile
« Reply #474 on: August 22, 2018, 02:28 AM »
@KRIKzz

How are the volume steps arranged, by duty cycle?
Can they be more precise or would it require too much space on the fpga?

I have to say it again, the addition of audio balance menu is absolutely fantastic.

volume calcs like that: vol = vol * 8 / maste-vol. master-vol is a 8-bit value (range 0-255). It may have more steps than now it is
thanks for the sound volume.
Now it's again like on old firmwares level, i have it on original famicom all on 160% but if i play the vrc6 test program the exp sound is still lower than the famicom sound instead of be the same level on both

also my previously saved game of lagrange point is not recognized by rc1

i tried to save state the game with akumaio densetsu, lagrange and other games too and it saves the game but then load to a black screen with working sound, tried many other games no one loaded the state, blue or black screen

black screen from returning to os after pressing reset solved with a defrag and scandisk.

sword sound on  zelda FDS is not always the same but it change sometimes. Not the correct way
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 03:35 AM by Arnold101 »

Offline fernan1234

• View Profile
« Reply #475 on: August 22, 2018, 06:46 PM »
Particularly excited about the volume control for expanded audio, since the mixing was never right with previous OS on my original Famicom.

It seems like any serious FDS gaming should still be done on the FDSStick though. Hopefully one day the EDN8 will become a one-device solution for the entire Famicom library.

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #476 on: August 22, 2018, 07:42 PM »
For the AV Famicom set audio balance like this;
This will bring the AV Famicom very close to emulation audio balance, and all mappers will have great balance between themselves.
These settings also work with the AVS but the AVS expansion volume should be set to match one of the expansion games, then all other games will be balanced.

FDS: 50%
VRC6: 80%
VRC7: 100%
Namco-163: 50%
MMC5: 50%
Sunsoft-5B: 100%

As a side note, Digital Devil Story Megami Tensei II is the perfect game to test Namco-163, almost every sound is played with the expansion audio in this game.
KRIKzz's Namco-163 mapper sounds fantastic by the way.

Setting everything at 160% is a very bad idea, KRIKzz was very clear about the limited FPGA DAC headroom.
I have bought an Original Famicom (FF, VCCI, GPM-0x) and all the expansion audio cartridges (except Gimmick!), so I will report on correct balance and settings in two weeks or so.

I would really like to see KRIKzz fix the FDS modulation bug before releasing the final V20, it is almost perfect besides this bug.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 07:47 PM by James-F »
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, N8 Pro, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline Death Devil

• View Profile
« Reply #477 on: August 22, 2018, 09:42 PM »
With new RC1 update Everdrive doesn't work after power on console. Just freeze on msg OS Unit.

Offline Arnold101

• View Profile
« Reply #478 on: August 22, 2018, 09:57 PM »

I have bought an Original Famicom (FF, VCCI, GPM-0x) and all the expansion audio cartridges (except Gimmick!), so I will report on correct balance and settings in two weeks or so.

I would really like to see KRIKzz fix the FDS modulation bug before releasing the final V20, it is almost perfect besides this bug.
you'll see, you can't balance anything on original famicom because even at 160% internal cpu sound is louder than exp sound. Take vrc6 test rom to test and you'll see
But even on akumajo densetsu the sound effect are much more higher than the ost.

Still much better than old v20 beta though

Offline fernan1234

• View Profile
« Reply #479 on: August 22, 2018, 09:58 PM »

That would be really helpful! Thanks for doing this.