Author Topic: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming  (Read 320182 times)

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming
« Reply #525 on: August 24, 2018, 03:13 PM »
I echo James-F's comments and praise.  I also note with approval that the EverDrive now gives the official tournament time for Nintendo World Championships. 
Here are my few observations on issues which may could feasibly be addressed before the final :
In Mega Man 3, the upper right pixel in Magnet Man's portrait border flickers where I do not believe it should on an original cartridge.  OSv16 doesn't flicker there.  I mention it just in case there are other MMC3 IRQ issues.
Mickey's Adventures in Letterland should have the same IRQ timing fix applied to it as to Incredible Crash Dummies I believe to avoid the shaking status bar.

Crash Dummies timing fix does not work for Mickey in Letterland. As far is i know they both based on Acclaim mmc3 clone, but i can't make it work properly by some reasons.

@KRIKzz
If you still have the strength and time to fix this FDS audio issue, please take reference from Nestopia.
As for the audio balance steps, I don't think there is enough steps above 160% because people report it still being quiet (even though it clips).
By adding all steps from 200% to 40% you will solve the accuracy for AV Famicom at around 50% and loudness for original Famicoms.

Ok, i decide to remove useless 10% vol level and replace it by 200%. But i wat warn again that vol over 100% may result in audio defects. Such problems well notable in King of Kings (intro music with vol 160% or more), Lagrange Point (200%) May be some other, i did not tested a lot levels over 100%.
The only true way to gain exp audio levels is hardware related (amplifier or changing balances between internal and external audio).

As for current minor inaccuracies in FDS sound, i don't have any ideas at the moment. Probably final v20 fds will be released as is. May be i will open my fds audio for public, who knows, maybe somebody will note what's wrong with this thing.

rc6 available for download: http://krikzz.com/pub/support/var/rc/N8/nesos-v20-rc6.zip
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 03:20 PM by KRIKzz »

Offline Jdurg

• View Profile
« Reply #526 on: August 24, 2018, 04:08 PM »
Wow.  This is amazing.  Thank you.  In the past two years, I've picked up an Everdrive N8, SD2SNES, Everdrive N64 3.0, and a GB Everdrive x7.  I'll soon be getting a GBA Everdrive as well.  Each day, there seems to be more and more progress made on getting every game working.  It's that excited feeling ya used to get as a kid when anticipating the release of a new game.

Thanks to everyone involved in getting these bugs and issues tuned out despite the excessive amount of work it takes to do so.  I figure another "major props dude!" post was warranted.

Offline keeper7

• View Profile
« Reply #527 on: August 24, 2018, 05:23 PM »
No more I/O Errors during my 3 hours playing BUT I got this random charaters twice.

Sorry for the terrible picture quality. :P

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: August 24, 2018, 05:34 PM »
I think that mentioned crashes relaterd to io problems. It looks like incorectly readed data from sd card. Unfortunately i cant reproduce this problem on my hardware, so it will not be fixed in v20. Users with io errors will be forced to stay at v16, at least for now

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
« Reply #529 on: August 24, 2018, 05:39 PM »
As for current minor inaccuracies in FDS sound, i don't have any ideas at the moment. Probably final v20 fds will be released as is. May be i will open my fds audio for public, who knows, maybe somebody will note what's wrong with this thing.

Maybe Necronomfive if we ask him nicely?
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO - MODE - MISTer

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #530 on: August 24, 2018, 06:57 PM »
@KRIKzz

Report about MMC3.
There are small differences in MMC3 glitches in games that have it.
Little Ninja Brothers has few pixels flickering in the title screen and gameplay that were not there on V16 or emulators.
Mega Man 3 has additional pixels flickering in the stage select screen that differ to what was in v16 and emulators.
It seems that the difference in flickering pixels was there on Beta1 too.
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, N8 Pro, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #531 on: August 24, 2018, 07:14 PM »
Perhaps related to the bouncing status bar in Radia?  Although I haven't since been able to replicate that one.  I also had that happen in Werewolf: The Last Warrior, but was unable to duplicate on restart either.

I'm wondering, could some of this be related to the starting state when launching a game?  Basically the same thing keeping stuff like Final Fantasy speed runs from being viable on the EDN8?
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #532 on: August 24, 2018, 07:16 PM »
I have tested Radia Senki and Gradius AC again, I don't see anything wrong with them except some flickering pixel lines which is typical to MMC3.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 07:07 AM by James-F »

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #533 on: August 24, 2018, 08:03 PM »
Yeah, the deal with Radia is that I'm having a hard time getting it to trigger again like I did with those initial releases.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

Offline Odin Belmont

• View Profile
« Reply #534 on: August 24, 2018, 08:10 PM »
Wow, this is moving quickly.  I just installed rc3

Is this near final?

Offline ShadowFX

• View Profile
« Reply #535 on: August 24, 2018, 08:29 PM »
NES Open Tournament Golf

This is not strictly related to v20, and I've seen this gfx glitch on earlier versions of the OS.
However, can anyone verify if this glitch is valid?

Title Screen glitch

This is played on a Famicom AV, with both European and USA version of the game.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 08:32 PM by ShadowFX »

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #536 on: August 24, 2018, 08:35 PM »
No glitches here with RC5 on AV Famicom.
Can be your Famicom PPU, do you have another console to test?

Format your SD card, and copy everything back.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 08:37 PM by James-F »

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #537 on: August 24, 2018, 08:41 PM »
I see the stage select stuff in Mega Man 3, James-F.  The glitched pixel line extends a good deal further to the left than it did before.

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #538 on: August 24, 2018, 08:42 PM »
Yep.
Try Little Ninja Brothers, it has garbage pixels that were not there before in the title screen and "Culture Brain" logo.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 07:07 AM by James-F »

Offline ShadowFX

• View Profile
« Reply #539 on: August 24, 2018, 08:56 PM »
No glitches here with RC5 on AV Famicom.
Can be your Famicom PPU, do you have another console to test?

Format your SD card, and copy everything back.
I'm using RC6 as of this moment.
Yeah it could be, I've had dodgy results before with other games at random, however none with official carts.
I have formatted the SD card many times with the proper format (FAT32 and larger cluster size), and used DriveSort to further stabilize the installation.

If I may ask, how does yours look like?