Author Topic: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming  (Read 241394 times)

Offline flex

• View Profile
Re: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming
« Reply #630 on: August 30, 2018, 09:36 PM »
The levels make a huge difference when you can barely hear the other channels in VRC6, for instance.  You get loud main channels, and very quiet VRC6, and that just destroys the soundtrack.  It sounds pretty good in RC6, though, so no big deal there.

Yeah I get what you saying as I have Akumajou Densetsu (Castlevania III) on actual cart and I can hear the difference between that and the Everdrive... I just did another test between the two and the cart is definitely louder overall but actually drowns out the sound effect channels e.g. the whip and picking up hearts a just a tiny little bit too much IMO, on the Everdrive i would say its pretty much bang on I just have to turn it up a bit overall to match the same level of output. I have the Everdrive set to 100% default at the moment running RC6 so again really happy with the results here although I am aware I am on an AV Famicom and they are known for having a lower level of audio output... not sure how much difference there is and to what channels it affects exactly?

I have the audio output rigged up a to really decent set of active monitor speakers here (Tannoy Reveal 802) and the bass and everything sounds lovely.  8)

EDIT: Just thought I would mention it is an RGB modified AV Famicom but it is using the stock audio of the system.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 09:38 PM by flex »

Offline snatcher123

• View Profile
« Reply #631 on: August 30, 2018, 09:56 PM »
Got some expansion audio carts for the Famicom to compare with the N8.
Only Gimmick! for Sunsoft 5B is missing but it is very expensive.
The Original Famicom has yet to arrive, but I will AV mod it and do some audio comparison and balancing.

From what I can hear so far, the AV Famicom is only a few db quieter then needed to have a good mix, it is not as extreme as people claim.
I will make reference recordings once the original famicom arrives.

@snatcher123
May I ask what is your reference recording?
160% is already distorting badly, so going above 200% is not a good idea at all.

I am not comparing to a recording but the real cart that I happen to own.

It's certainly not just the difference of a few db but very noticably quieter.

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #632 on: August 30, 2018, 10:42 PM »
RC7 fixed some minor glitches with some games in MMC3, but ended up crashing on AVS. The games still have the glitches (they were always supposed to happen), but they look the way they're supposed to. Mega Man 3's stage select glitch is there on real cart, but doesn't extend as far as it did on RC6.

Offline Aether Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #633 on: August 30, 2018, 11:26 PM »
RC7 fixed some minor glitches with some games in MMC3, but ended up crashing on AVS. The games still have the glitches (they were always supposed to happen), but they look the way they're supposed to. Mega Man 3's stage select glitch is there on real cart, but doesn't extend as far as it did on RC6.

Agreed. So far RC6 is the highest for the AVS. It appears that every MMC3 game has problems or outright crashes (that has never happened before ever, on any Everdrive OS release...not even the initial ones) Something went horribly wrong while mucking around with FDS audio, which regardless of what medium...emulator, N8 OR the actual cartridge, sounds like ass. Most sounds and music just sound wrong...scratchy...echoy....honestly, hard to describe their awfulness. Not sure how someone can tell the difference...except the awfulness is not as....loud? Missing certain channels? You mean there is MORE scratchy, echoey noises to be had? Hopefully RC8 restores all games/mappers to their original, working function.

* Just realized that Akumajou Densetsu does not have FDS sound, has VRC6 (which to me sounds great) I honestly can't tell what FDS soundtrack I would prefer over an original release. I mean I guess the original Zelda intro theme sounds a little better? Excitebike VS. has music on the FDS version so I guess that's something? I don't know....from what I've listened to....not all that great. Maybe I'm missing something here?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 11:35 PM by Aether Knight »

Offline Odin Belmont

• View Profile
« Reply #634 on: August 31, 2018, 10:01 AM »
Whats the best OS for AVS then?

Offline flex

• View Profile
« Reply #635 on: August 31, 2018, 11:25 AM »

I think this is incorrect... it has already been established that the Mega Man 3 glitch extends to the correct pixel on RC6 compared to a real cart where as on RC7 it stops short. So in this regard RC6 is more accurate.

Offline flex

• View Profile
« Reply #636 on: August 31, 2018, 11:29 AM »

Something went horribly wrong while mucking around with FDS audio, which regardless of what medium...emulator, N8 OR the actual cartridge, sounds like ass. Most sounds and music just sound wrong...scratchy...echoy....honestly, hard to describe their awfulness. Not sure how someone can tell the difference...except the awfulness is not as....loud? Missing certain channels? You mean there is MORE scratchy, echoey noises to be had? Hopefully RC8 restores all games/mappers to their original, working function.

On RC6 here FDS audio in games like Doki Doki Panic and Dracula II sounded almost perfect. I did some comparisons with other captures of these games to verify and I am not hearing any scratchy / echoey noises etc... I did on the original v16 release but not on v20 RC6 / 7.

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #637 on: August 31, 2018, 04:46 PM »

I think this is incorrect... it has already been established that the Mega Man 3 glitch extends to the correct pixel on RC6 compared to a real cart where as on RC7 it stops short. So in this regard RC6 is more accurate.

oh ok. I didn't check my real cart to be sure. I thought it was said earlier in the forum that it extended further, but I didn't check for myself.

Offline Arnold101

• View Profile
« Reply #638 on: August 31, 2018, 05:47 PM »
Got some expansion audio carts for the Famicom to compare with the N8.
Only Gimmick! for Sunsoft 5B is missing but it is very expensive.
The Original Famicom has yet to arrive, but I will AV mod it and do some audio comparison and balancing.

From what I can hear so far, the AV Famicom is only a few db quieter then needed to have a good mix, it is not as extreme as people claim.
I will make reference recordings once the original famicom arrives.

@snatcher123
May I ask what is your reference recording?
160% is already distorting badly, so going above 200% is not a good idea at all.

I am not comparing to a recording but the real cart that I happen to own.

It's certainly not just the difference of a few db but very noticably quieter.
exactly

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #639 on: August 31, 2018, 06:05 PM »
exactly
Well, since you ignore the fact that KRIKzz cannot raise the volume higher in software because of terrible digital distortion, maybe it's time for you to mod your famicom or N8 to fit your volume preferences?
I can only assume you will not be happy with that either, and respond with some rude comment.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 06:09 PM by James-F »
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, N8 Pro, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline densy

• View Profile
« Reply #640 on: August 31, 2018, 06:42 PM »
Loving the FDS audio improvements on the latest RC! Tested it for a bit on my AVS and it’s good! Zelda 1 sword blast is exactly the same every time now and sounds consistent with real hardware. The music problems in Bio Miracle are gone now too. Awesome, thanks!

I also noticed that disk error that briefly shows up when saving in Zelda 1 is gone now too.

I tried a few games that before the current firmware were known to not work properly on the N8. I was curious to see if some of those might be fixed now. I didn’t do extensive testing, but so far Gall Force still crashes on the first level, and Ultraman Club gets stuck in a loop when it has to load and switch sides.

Nonetheless, for a lot of games the N8 is now a nice way to experience them :-)

Offline densy

• View Profile
« Reply #641 on: August 31, 2018, 08:12 PM »
Can confirm the Gimmick bug: crashes on level 2. My game crashed when I got onto the small boat. Trying to see if a thorough reformatting fixes anything!

EDIT:
Formatting and copying all files including firmware over again made no change. I installed RC6 and the game still crashed at level 2. Then I installed RC5 and..the game didn't crash. Something happened in between RC5 to RC6 that made this game crash on the AVS.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 09:07 PM by densy »

Offline Lordofpixels03

• View Profile
« Reply #642 on: August 31, 2018, 10:28 PM »
Can confirm the Gimmick bug: crashes on level 2. My game crashed when I got onto the small boat. Trying to see if a thorough reformatting fixes anything!

EDIT:
Formatting and copying all files including firmware over again made no change. I installed RC6 and the game still crashed at level 2. Then I installed RC5 and..the game didn't crash. Something happened in between RC5 to RC6 that made this game crash on the AVS.

Thank you for informing that. Now I at least now that I'm not the only one with this issue.

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #643 on: August 31, 2018, 11:07 PM »

EDIT:

What version of Everdrive are you using (FC or NES)? What did you set the volume to? I didn't have this crash issue with Gimmick on RC6 on AVS.

I didn't have a volume issue with AVS with RC6 (probably not on RC7 either, though that locks up with MMC3 with AVS). Akumajou Densetsu sounds excellent at the defaults on AVS for me.

Offline densy

• View Profile
« Reply #644 on: August 31, 2018, 11:21 PM »

EDIT:

What version of Everdrive are you using (FC or NES)? What did you set the volume to? I didn't have this crash issue with Gimmick on RC6 on AVS.

I didn't have a volume issue with AVS with RC6 (probably not on RC7 either, though that locks up with MMC3 with AVS). Akumajou Densetsu sounds excellent at the defaults on AVS for me.

NES version. The AVS is running on version 1.30 final. Volume settings were unchanged on AVS and Everdrive for expansion audio.

Whats the SHA1 checksum of the rom that you are using?